Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: shredding vs. feeling
Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: October 12, 2008 23:14

whenever someone posts a clip of a guitarplayer (or other musician) who plays fast, some people come up with the argument that is has no feeling. it always annoys me.
i'm really not a fan of highspeed-shredding either. but sometimes fast parts suit the song.
sometimes it seems like some people have that equation in their head: fast playing = no feeling. this is rubbish. the list of guitarplayers with a fantastic technique AND feeling is long: SRV, django reinhardt, paco de lucia, clapton, slash.
and what about all classic and jazz masterpieces.
so to me "speed" is just one possible expression, like a colour for painters.

Re: OT: shredding vs. feeling
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: October 12, 2008 23:16

Alvin Leeeeee! He's da man.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 12, 2008 23:29

just curious why you entitled the thread "shredding vs feeling"
if what you want to talk about is "shredding with feeling"

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: October 12, 2008 23:38

with sssoul
just curious why you entitled the thread "shredding vs feeling"
if what you want to talk about is "shredding with feeling"

both title work. but for some people its either shredding or feeling. so thats where the discussion starts.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 13, 2008 00:40

whenever someone posts a clip of a guitarplayer (or other musician) who plays fast, some people come up with the argument that is has no feeling. it always annoys me.
i'm really not a fan of highspeed-shredding either. but sometimes fast parts suit the song.
sometimes it seems like some people have that equation in their head: fast playing = no feeling. this is rubbish. the list of guitarplayers with a fantastic technique AND feeling is long: SRV, django reinhardt, paco de lucia, clapton, slash.
and what about all classic and jazz masterpieces.
so to me "speed" is just one possible expression, like a colour for painters. -guitarbastard-

Thank's.smileys with beer

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 13, 2008 00:48

I totally agree guitarbastard.
It's just another slant on armchair music criticsm; a way for close-minded people to justify their frumpiness.

smileys with beer

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: October 13, 2008 00:58

Shredding with feeling? Light/shade and all that? To me, one of the masters of this is Jimmy Page.

Date: October 13, 2008 01:19

Jimmy Page took guitarlessons from John mc Laughlin.
This inspired Jimmy composing "stairway to heaven" :An A-(maj7/9) chord
involved.Great song.
The human link between shredding and soul....

Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: October 13, 2008 04:07

For my tastes extremely fast playing takes away the magic that slower playing can offer.It's great technicaly but I don't like to hear that kind of playing.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 13, 2008 04:23

Don't wear a tie while paper shreddin' is about all I can tell ya....AAAAggggg!!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: October 13, 2008 04:28

I think my comments in the Gary Moore thread may have inspired guitarbastard's thread. Allow me to clarify. I did not mean to convey that speed has no place in music or when used has no feeling. Rather, my comments were directed specifically at Gary Moore who to me has the annoying habit of throwing in a speedy passage where it does not belong. There are many guitarists who do this and many who do not. To me, what a musician does should be in service to the song they are playing and not to use the song to showcase their technical prowess, much in the same way an actor's role is in service of the story and not to scene steal or eat carpet by overacting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-13 04:36 by ChrisM.

Date: October 13, 2008 04:39

Amsterdamned
Jimmy Page took guitarlessons from John mc Laughlin.
This inspired Jimmy composing "stairway to heaven" :An A-(maj7/9) chord
involved.Great song.
The human link between shredding and soul....

Did he really? I never knew that. So, you are saying that John McLauglin inspired "Stairway to Heaven"? In what way exactly?

Date: October 13, 2008 04:42

jamesfdouglas
I totally agree guitarbastard.
It's just another slant on armchair music criticsm; a way for close-minded people to justify their frumpiness.

smileys with beer

In relation to my earlier post, just so you know, I'm no armchair critic and nor am I close minded. I've been playing guitar professionally and otherwise for 30 years so my opinion is at least an informed one.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 13, 2008 04:46

Shredding vs. feeling?

Wow! that's like comparing oranges to cashews.

You could have one, you could have the other, you could have both or none.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 13, 2008 07:39

Indeed they are different and both styles have their place...but one thing is for sure: one way of playing guitar is not superior to the other. It's just like comparing the explosion that is Keith Moon behind a drum set and compare it to an easy and laid back jazz drummer. Each drummer wouldn't be able to do the other's style.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: October 13, 2008 09:59

I was at a Q&A Session with Shredding King JOE SATRIANI yesterday. He was explaining how there are 20 scales you can play on one string...it was kind of bizarre.

Joe Satriani was Mick Jagger's guitarist on the 1988 Tour. He also had interesting road stories and nothing but high praises for Mick. I had him talk about the televised Tokyo Dome broadcast where he did Gimme Shelter and walked through the crowd. Mick & crew were not expecting that outcome. They thought the crowd (due to their culture) would be respectful and not mob, etc.

Overall the Satriani concert was good, but after 3 songs it starts to all sound the same. The encores he did with Leslie West was great.

Date: October 13, 2008 12:08

Did he really? I never knew that. So, you are saying that John McLauglin inspired "Stairway to Heaven"? In what way exactly? -ChrisM-

In the early 7-tees J.Page got fed up with only playing blues scales and wanted to brighten his horizon.He admired mcLaughlin's guitarplaying who is a key- figure in JazzRock so he went to J.mcL.One of the scales that are important in Jazz(rock) is the minormelodic scale: A min melodic: a-b-c-d-e-f#-g#-a
The first chord in this scale is A-(maj7/9).There you go.

But Jimmy Page invented the song!

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: October 13, 2008 12:37

I thought it was inspired by Spirit´s song Taurus.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-13 12:38 by Svartmer.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 13, 2008 12:44

Its not as simple as comparing guitarists.
To mention he, who Svartmer got his name from;
The Man In Black, many guitarists styles varies thruout the years.

Ritchie got back into some minimalism in the mid-80s,
like what he plays on Smoke On The Water.

Our own Wooody is a great sample of the middle way guitarist (mid-posivitely meant)

I also'd like to recommend Sándor "Samu" Bencsik (RIP, he passed away in 1987),
who is a player in the Blackmore school. He took it to its refined stage:
View 1:12 - 1:44 for a sample

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: October 13, 2008 13:09

Yeah, as I said before. Listen to Blackmore´s solo on Child in Time from Made in Japan. There it is, the feel & the speed, no effects, just a Stratocaster with a Marshall and some magic fingers.

Date: October 13, 2008 13:25

I thought it was inspired by Spirit´s song Taurus.-Svartmer-

Yes,but Jimmy dindn't play the 9 in the intro . smiling smiley

Date: October 13, 2008 13:39

Error: Jimmy played the 9 in the intro,as a voicing.Taurus didn't.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1177
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home