Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Let it loose
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 10, 2008 19:17

Good read, great song!

Let it loose

C

Re: Let it loose
Posted by: Bol ()
Date: October 10, 2008 19:53

"Let It Loose is Jagger’s finest vocal achievement". Couldn't agree more. Followed by Laugh, I Nearly Died IMO.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: October 10, 2008 21:15

A masterpiece. On my original US vinyl there was about a 10 second gap after 'Just Wanna See.." and LIL - sadly that pause has been shortened on compact disc...

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: October 10, 2008 21:44

Thnak you...I always wondered why Keith's guitar sounded so much like an organ...

Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: October 10, 2008 22:10

I think this is their best work because it proves that they are not just a rock band.Perfect in every way.

Posted by: bumbum ()
Date: October 10, 2008 22:13

Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: October 10, 2008 22:51

My favourite Stones track by some distance. Perfect in every way. smiling smiley

Posted by: Rufestone ()
Date: October 10, 2008 23:08

it's about time the play this one live ! .. thumbs up

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: October 11, 2008 00:47

VERY VERY VERY underrated track. I totally love that song.

Posted by: milliondollarsad ()
Date: October 11, 2008 01:00

The liner notes credit Dr. John as singing back-up but the piano was played by Nicky Hopkins. One of his greatest performances. Still not sure whether it's Keith or Mick T. on guitar. It's a brilliant part but simple so either could have played it.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 11, 2008 01:16

When I got Exile in 72 it was this tune that I played over and over again!
(Well, I think I was lovesick as well in those days . .)

Always loved the Stones and particularly Jagger doing songs like Loose, Shine a light,Really want to be your friend,I got the blues, Winter(although bit different),etc.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 11, 2008 01:44

In my top ten favourite Stones tunes.

At 2:43mins to 2:47 you can just about hear somebody (i think it's Mick) say something over the mic, always wondered what it was?... Anybody else notice?...

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 11, 2008 04:11

Micky1
In my top ten favourite Stones tunes.

At 2:43mins to 2:47 you can just about hear somebody (i think it's Mick) say something over the mic, always wondered what it was?... Anybody else notice?...

Mine too.
And yeah, I've noticed that voice too.

Mick at his best.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 11, 2008 04:52

I remember a moment of revelation when I saw O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU? and thinking "What??" when I heard them sing "Man Of Constant Sorrow" the lines "Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger" -- I had no previous knowledge that those lines had been lifted from a trad. song (they're not in Dylan's version).

Posted by: theanchorman ()
Date: October 11, 2008 06:43

I love how Marty S. used this in The Departed...

Also - Awesome Keith backing vocals by Keith at 3:26 - lots of emotion there....

Thats a Leslie amplifier making that effect with the guitar.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 11, 2008 07:53

Let it Loose is ok. But their is far better stuff on Exile. But still to this day. All of those songs stand the test of time very well.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: October 11, 2008 13:20

Glam Descendant
I remember a moment of revelation when I saw O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU? and thinking "What??" when I heard them sing "Man Of Constant Sorrow" the lines "Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger" -- I had no previous knowledge that those lines had been lifted from a trad. song (they're not in Dylan's version).
I just checked it and you are right.This is my favorite line and it's from another song?tongue sticking out smiley I don't know how popular is this folk song but that's what amazes me to the Stones.They have so deep knowledge of music that few know that amazes me.I think that's the half thing to their success and the other their talent and their good chemistry.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 11, 2008 13:43

milliondollarsad
The liner notes credit Dr. John as singing back-up but the piano was played by Nicky Hopkins. One of his greatest performances. Still not sure whether it's Keith or Mick T. on guitar. It's a brilliant part but simple so either could have played it.

It's Keith for sure, it's his typical phrasing. Also check out the Dallas Rehearsels where it's Keith again.

Mathijs

Posted by: wesley ()
Date: October 11, 2008 15:10

Love this song, Exile version is of course the best.
My wife is a ´singer, she`s not a RS fan but surely loves Mick`s vocals on this one!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 11, 2008 17:24

PURE PERFECTION, always been my very favorite Stones song; I bought Exile the moment it was released and played " Let It Loose" over and over...wore it out. I think that the Stones may have toyed with the idea of performing it live but nothing could compare with the studio version. To attempt it and fail would tarnish this gem somehow and I'd rather it be kept this Holy Grail of a tune. I prayed that one day I'd hear SWAY live, and although it was a very good version that I heard in Sept of 2006 in Foxboro, Ma, it did not come close to the version in my head. I have heard very decent versions of " Shine A Light" in concert, however. LET IT LOOSE is for me the pinnacle of Mick's vocal career, a reminder that no one even comes close to this band!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 11, 2008 18:01

Awesome song, here's a TAB:

[www.rockmagic.net]

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: October 11, 2008 18:11

I'd pay $500 to hear it on "Stripped" in, of course, stripped version. Ya know, "less is more" version. It'd begin with just acoustic gtr and Mick and then ha, Keith and Charlie drum in!

in the bar you're getting drunk, ain't in love, ain't in luck - I just love that line.

it's the longest song on Exile by the way.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-11 18:14 by Amused.

Date: October 11, 2008 18:13

wesley
Love this song, Exile version is of course the best.
My wife is a ´singer, she`s not a RS fan but surely loves Mick`s vocals on this one!

Same here! My wife sings as well. She's a Mick fan, not a Stones fan.
Now, while my tastes are Mick-centric, I have to admit that when Keith owned the band, Mick was at his best, and the whole thing was irreplacable magic.

Exile is the pinnalce for the band. Cliche, but true. And Let It Loose is arguably one of the finest moments of the band's entire 68-73 stretch of Rock Perfection.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: October 11, 2008 22:03

MICKSCHIX-wore "what " out?? (sorry!!heehee) I agree it is one underrated song.
Theres a great outtake thats the instruments only that gives one a whole different way to listen to the music too.HEY- I'm still playing the lottery,Debra!!!

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: October 11, 2008 22:09

Truly one of the most underrated Stones songs, it's perfect in every way. What I wouldn't give to hear it played live just once!!!

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 11, 2008 23:37

Scottkeef, I wore the song out, you funny guy! Keep playing the lottery!

Date: October 12, 2008 00:15

I remember when the show 'October Road' played it.
I was surprised/impressed.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: SimonV ()
Date: October 12, 2008 00:16

Yes this song has brought tears on my eyes.. it's in my Exile top 3.

Simon
myspace.com/koningsimon

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: October 14, 2008 00:19

This one....and''Jesus''will knock me down every time...magic is in the air!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1526
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home