Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Burn on Dylan
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 7, 2008 07:58

from Uncut -- fascinating insight into how he works:

MALCOLM BURN
Multi-instrumentalist and recording engineer and mix on 1989’s Oh Mercy, Burn has produced a variety of albums including Emmylou Harris’ Red Dirt Girl and Iggy Pop’s American Caesar.

In the weeks prior to recording, when we were waiting for Bob to arrive and getting ready to make the record, I kept asking Dan [Lanois, producer], “Have you heard from Bob? Have you heard any of the songs we might be doing?” And Dan had heard like little snippets. Bob didn’t want to demo them or anything like that. He’d play like a few lines from songs, or one line. Y’know: “Most of the time, I’m clear focused all around… – what d'ya think? That’s a good one? Okay, great.”

So Dan was a little unclear as to what the material was going to be like. But, the two things I recall, was that Dylan had talked quite a bit about trying to get a piano-bass. And none of us really knew what a piano-bass was. I guess it’s kinda like what The Doors used to use, sort of a keyboard bass. He’d talked a lot about that. And he’d also talked about trying to do something with Fats Domino. So, we didn’t know anything about the material, but we did know he wanted a piano-bass, and that he was hoping to maybe do something with Fats, because we were doing the record in New Orleans.

So, other than that, we were just trying to get ready in the normal way, and then, I a week before we were due to start recording, we received a cassette from Bob. And I thought, Oh, great, we’re going hear some songs. We got this cassette, and it had this little note from Bob: “Listen to this, this’ll give you a good idea of what’s going on.” And so Dan and I and Mark Howard, the other engineer, we sat down to listen to this cassette, and we put it in the machine – and this Al Jolson music started playing.
And we were like, "What the @#$%&? Al Jolson?” So, we fast-forwarded it, and it was just a whole tape of Al Jolson. And we looked back at the note, and it said. “Listen to this. You can learn a lot.” So Dan and I sort of looked at each other and – you know, Al Jolson’s great –but we sort of thought it was a bit odd.

But, y’know, anyway, when Bob arrived and we started making the record, I’d sort of forgotten about this. And then, one evening in the middle of recording, we were taking a little break, and somehow, something came up about favourite singers, and who were great influences, especially when it comes to phrasing. Bob had said a number of times that phrasing was sort of everything. You can have really great lyrics, but if you don’t deliver them properly, they’re not gonna mean a thing. And it’s quite true. And in this conversation, Bob said, “My two favourite singers are Frank Sinatra and Al Jolson.” And I thought, wow, now I get it. And it’s interesting, because when you have that in your head and you go back and listen to Al Jolson, you can sort of make the correlation with Bob Dylan, that concatenation, that kind of rapid-fire thing. That was kind of an interesting learning experience. Al Jolson. Bob Dylan. We had a couple of nice conversations. I remember at one point I’d asked him who his favourite sonwriters were, and without hesitation he said, “Gordon Lightfoot and Kris Kristofferson. Those are the guys.”

When it came to presenting songs, Bob would show up every day – well, I should say, every night. Our recording schedule was pretty nocturnal, he wouldn’t normally show up until about eight or nine at night, and we would usually work into the early hours, four or five, sometimes six or seven in the morning. That was just his schedule. Every night he would come in with a rolled-up bundle of paper, wrapped up with a rubber band, his lyrics that he was in the process of working on. And, say when we were working on something like “Most Of The Time”, he’d be sort of finishing the lyrics. He’d go over to where we had the coffee machine and put the lyrics out on the table and start scribbling and fixing up a few lines, and then he’d say, “Okay, let’s go.”

I really got the strong impression that, for him, the song really wasn’t ready to be a song until the lyrics were in place. By that I mean, it wasn’t necessarily about the melody or the chords. I remember, one night, we were going to do “Most Of The Time” and he sat down with his guitar, and I actually recorded this, I still have it somewhere, and he said, “Well, we could do it like this” - and he played the entire song, just him on acoustic guitar and harmonica, the archetypal Bob Dylan thing. He actually referred to himself in the third person, “That would be like a typical Bob Dylan way of doin’ it.” And then he did it another way, and he played it like a blues, really slow, and I recorded that, too. And then there was the version that we ended up doing on the record, which is quite spacious and has that real Dan Lanois imprint all over it.

So, it occurred to me that the treatment of the song was secondary. If the lyrics were in place, then it was just sort of, “Well what’s appropriate? What kind of record are we making? What kind of song do we need to stick in there? If it needs to be up-tempo, I’ll do the song up-tempo.” He wasn’t really precious about that aspect of it. The only thing that made any real difference to him was whether what he was saying was in place. Quite often, he would rewrite even one-line. Even when we were mixing the record, I’d be in the middle of the mix and he’d suddenly say, “Y’know what, I’ve just rewritten that line, can I re-sing it?” And I’d be like, Jeez, I’ve just finished the mix. So I’d be cutting out one line of a mix and editing in the new one to accommodate the re-write. And at that time, I was still editing on tape, so you’d physically cut it out and stick it up on the wall with a piece of sticky-tape. And then the next day, he’d come in and say, “Actually, let’s go back to the line I had, the way it was before.” And so I’d take the piece of tape off the wall and splice it back into the mix.
The one song that didn’t end up on that record that Dan and I were really pushing for, was “Series Of Dreams”. That was actually my favourite track on the record. I just thought, man, this is great. The feel of it, the lyrics, the whole vibe, it was just like from another world. And when we got to the stage where we were deciding which songs to put on the record, we kept advocating for this song. I remember we were standing in the courtyard of this house in New Orleans where we recorded, and Bob said, “Y’know what, I only put ten songs on my records.” And I said, “But, Bob, that song is so great.” And he goes. “Nah, nah. I’m only putting ten songs on there.”

I guess he was maybe only getting paid mechanical royalties in his contract, and so his attitude was basically, ‘Look, I’m gonna be making another record, I’ll put that song on the next one. They can get their next ten songs next year.’ Which made perfect economic sense to me. But I really liked the song. And finally he said, “Look, I don’t think the lyrics are finished, I’m not happy with them. The song’s too long. But I don’t wanna cut out any of the lyrics.” And so the song didn’t end up on the record, which was pretty disappointing for us, but, luckily, the recording did come out eventually. And, actually, he did cut out one of the verses.
He’s probably the hardest-working person I’ve ever been in the studio with. He’s really focused. Most people spend a lot of time yapping and gabbing and bullshitting around, but, even though we maybe only worked seven or eight hours a day, those seven or eight hours were full-on. There wasn’t any time for wasting time or talking about sports or bullshit. It was completely: we’re doing music now. A lot of other artists could learn something from that really strong work ethic. I remember thinking, “Yeah. This is why certain people achieve what they do. Because they don’t waste time.”

He’s kind of old-school, y’know. His attitude is, you don’t spend a lot of time making records. You don’t do millions of takes. You don’t overdub until the cows come home. You just get the song ready, you go in there, you play it, there it is. If someone makes a mistake, @#$%& it. I would constantly get grief from the instrumentalists on the record when we were working on the record, they’d say, “But, but, I gotta fix my part!” No, we’re not. We’re not doing another take, we’re not fixing your drum fills. Unless it’s like a real clunker, when someone is actually playing the wrong notes, we’re leaving it. I remember Bob would never tune his guitar, Dan was always having to tune it for him. He doesn’t want to @#$%& around with bullshit, he doesn’t care if the bass player sounds great, he’s only interested in the songs. And he has this touring schedule, and so you only have a set amount of time. It’s not like making, say, a U2 record, where it can go on for 18 months or whatever. Really, the day we finished the record, he got on the tour bus, and he was gone. Back on the endless tour.

One thing, early on during the recording, that he really pushed us to try and do, was he said, “Y’know, I really love the way my vocals sound when you record them on like, a boom-box, that little microphone. Why can’t I get my vocals to sound like that on a record?” So we actually tried recording with a boom-box. That didn’t quite work out. But it was one of the things he really pushed us on, and I was surprised, but he really pushed us so hard to get this really great vocal sound. He was one who kept pushing us to do that, “I want it more like this, more like that.” And I was really surprised because on the next record he did [Under the Red Sky], he didn’t get that vocal sound.

I remember when we were doing “Man In The Long Black Coat”, when he first started doing it, he was singing it maybe an octave higher. And it didn’t sound very good. It sounded pretty awful, in fact. And it might have been Bob or it might have been Dan, but someone recognised it wasn’t really working, and suggested singing it an octave lower, and that’s when he got that “Crickets - a-chirpin - water is high” and suddenly the phrasing came and I was like, “@#$%&, this is really good.” It was a different song. But that was done very quickly.

Nothing on the record took a lot of takes really. The only thing we took a lot of time getting – and this is another interesting thing about is approach – is like, if he was fixing a vocal part. Y’know if he wanted to punch in just a part of a song again. It was never about whether it was in tune or out of tune or anything like that. It would be – let’s say he’s singing a replacement line – he’d sing it and you’d try to mix it into the original track, he’d listen to it and he’s say, “Ah, nah, nah, nah. That’s not the guy.” And I’d say, “The guy?” And he’d say, “Yeah. It’s not the same guy.”

And I really understood. It’s like acting, you’re trying to find the character or a motivation. So many singers I’ve worked with are so self-conscious about being in tune, they’re so worried about how they sound, and they’ll sing a line, and it’ll maybe sound better and it’ll be in tune – but it’s not the same personality. And I’ll say to them, “I don’t care if the first take is a little out of tune – it’s not the same personality.” And that was something I learned from Bob. I learned a lot from him on that about that kind of thing. So when he came to fixing up a vocal, I’d say to him: “Yeah that’s the guy.” And it would be the guy. The guy, the character he had invented for that particular thing. I mean an extreme example is, if you listen to “Lay, Lady, Lay.” Who’s that guy?

Bob, while were working, he never really spoke to the other musicans we had assembled. He’d speak to the people he knew or knew about, but he wasn’t really interested in making buddies with anyone. And he always wore this hoodie, y’know, and he’d just kind of play and sing. For the first two or days while we were recording, we had the Neville Brothers’ rhythm section there. And the Nevilles’ drummer, Willie Green, he came up to me after the second or third night, he comes in, and he came right up to me, I was sitting at the mixing board, and Bob was like, four feet away. And Willie says, “Man, I’ve been here for two or three days man. When the @#$%&’s Bob Dylan showing up? I thought we were making a record with Bob Dylan, man, where the @#$%& is he?” And I said, “Willie, he’s sitting right next to you.” “Oh. Is that Bob Dylan? Is that Bob Dylan right there?” “Yes, that’s Bob Dylan.”

And then, seriously, the bass player, Tony, he comes in and he comes up, and it turns out he didn’t know this was Bob sitting here either. And he says, “Man, that Bob Dylan is some weird @#$%&, man.” And Bob just sort of looked up and raised his eyebrow. And then he went back to working on his lyrics.

Re: OT: Burn on Dylan
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 7, 2008 08:11

I wanted to buy this issue....is this issue already out for November or October?

Date: October 7, 2008 09:09

I think it's out but I haven't actually seen a copy yet. I've got another excerpt, I guess there's no need to start a new thread, I'll paste it below.

Date: October 7, 2008 09:11

Another bit from Uncut revealing BD's working methods in studio:

Micajah Ryan’s engineering career has taken him from John Prine through Guns N’ Roses, all the way to Megadeth. One of the few witnesses to the creation of Dylan’s bare-boned acoustic albums, Good As I’ve Been To You and World Gone Wrong…

“Debbie Gold [long-standing Dylan friend] had convinced Dylan to record with just acoustic guitar and vocals. She was my manager, and while I was on vacation she called me to record just a couple of songs for a day or two. I wanted to be professional, got everything prepared. Then in comes Bob Dylan and all bets are off. There just isn’t anyway to prepare for a moment like that. Dylan was on a roll, and I didn’t get back to my family until a couple of months later, when we finished what became Good As I’ve Been To You.

“On World Gone Wrong, it seemed to me that Bob had a very strong idea of what songs needed to be on the record. My job was to record everything he did, and of course I was very nervous at first - who wouldn't be? But Debbie was in control as producer, so that took some of the edge off for me – and for Dylan as well. He'd come in each day with at least a couple of songs to work on. He'd do several takes in every key and tempo imaginable; speeding up or slowing down, making it higher or lower in pitch until he felt he got it. He didn't talk with me at all about songs or what he wanted to do, but he consulted Debbie on every take. He trusted her and I got the feeling that was unusual for him. She was never afraid to tell him the truth, and, boy, was she persistent; often convincing him to stay with a song long after he seemed to lose interest in it.

“He was rarely conversational with me - but I can remember him being very concerned with things like the difference between analog and digital and how digital recording was ruining modern music. It was fun to be a part of this discussion and it was a great learning experience. He was quite adamant about the negative aspects of the medium. He told me about different techniques that he had heard of - like not letting the digital recording ever go completely to "black". This was in an effort to simulate the analog recording medium that always has some sound on it - even if is hiss.

“Only Debbie and I were in the control room when Bob played. In fact, no one else ever came to the studio the entire time we recorded World Gone Wrong and Good As I've Been To You. I believe that intimacy had a lot to do with the warmth in the sound of his performances.”

Posted by: MacPhisto ()
Date: October 7, 2008 11:38

Thank you very much for posting this interesting article!

He’s kind of old-school, y’know. His attitude is, you don’t spend a lot of time making records. You don’t do millions of takes. You don’t overdub until the cows come home. You just get the song ready, you go in there, you play it, there it is. If someone makes a mistake, @#$%& it. I would constantly get grief from the instrumentalists on the record when we were working on the record, they’d say, “But, but, I gotta fix my part!” No, we’re not. We’re not doing another take, we’re not fixing your drum fills. Unless it’s like a real clunker, when someone is actually playing the wrong notes, we’re leaving it. I remember Bob would never tune his guitar, Dan was always having to tune it for him. He doesn’t want to @#$%& around with bullshit, he doesn’t care if the bass player sounds great, he’s only interested in the songs. And he has this touring schedule, and so you only have a set amount of time. It’s not like making, say, a U2 record, where it can go on for 18 months or whatever. Really, the day we finished the record, he got on the tour bus, and he was gone. Back on the endless tour.

I think this is exactly what makes a really good record. Many artists and producers are too focused on perfection and end up making soulless music as a consequence. A few little mistakes or say background noises or whatever make the music sound more authentic and credible in my opinion. Those words have already been a bit overused in this context, I know, but they are appropriate nonetheless.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 7, 2008 11:55

the magazine's been available for nearly 2 weeks, now.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: October 7, 2008 19:18

Good read, thanks for posting.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: October 7, 2008 19:58

Yeah, thanks for sharing.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 7, 2008 20:38

Thanks Glam! Can't afford the magazine after the vinyl - and 3cdbox...none of which arrived yet!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-07 20:40 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 8, 2008 00:08

One of the best Dylan features I've read in a magazine for some time. They should have extended the idea into a book.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 8, 2008 00:17

thanks for this Glam D!--so Dylan was willing to "punch in" individual lines... any sense of whether the main vocal take was done with the band, or was the whole vocal overdubbed? It certainly sounds as if Dylan insisted the main backing track be done all at once.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: October 8, 2008 00:20

yeh, most totally fascinating. dylan talks of these sessions in 'chronicles' and i found that a might grand read.

this guy's interview is wonderful. really super-shining great; hats off & thnx to glam descendant. smiling smiley

cc, that's a really good question re: how whether he tracked with the musicans live, i'd like to know about that but could only guess. i'd guess it would be live with the band as they cut it, figuring they would probably isolate dylan's voice from the gitgo, even with the players, if he wanted to punch in another lyric in a particular line later? just a guess, based on his earlier history and mercurial personal way of getting inside something and then moving on?...but do not really know.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-08 00:31 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: October 8, 2008 01:14

That's a pretty deep look into what it must have been like working on those albums.
I would have thought that for an artist, it would be important that the musicians connect with the lyrics on an emotional level, especially when the lyrics are very important, so they can put their own feelings on the subject into their performance.
But it seems that in recording "Oh Mercy", the backing track and the vocal were constructed separately.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 8, 2008 21:50

not necessarily, as Beely points out--they could have recorded Dylan's vocals with the band, but well isolated so that he could punch in lines later. It's not usually done that way, but it's possible. Lanois's layerings create such a cloud of ambient noise that you might not notice inconsistencies on the vocal track.

and Burn's point seems to be that the lyrics were foremost in Dylan's mental construction of the songs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1975
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home