Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: LOVE YOU LIVE
Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: October 7, 2008 16:29

My first Rolling Stones experience was Love You Live on CASSETTE.I didn't know anything about the four (LP) sides I just listened to it continously.The first (and strongest) touch of The Rolling Stones MAGIC.
It's not about guitar solos or the singer's voice or other technical questions. It's about the atmosphere, the mood, the ... MAGIC!
If someone would ask me one CD to show what The Rolling Stones is about I'd give him LYL. (not EOMS)

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-07 16:36 by 1962.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 7, 2008 16:50

Wuudy
The Gibson is much lighter then let's say the Fender telecaster. I remember Keith said something like this in a interview.

I must disagree with this. Some of those LP's weight a ton. Fender = lighter.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-07 16:53 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 7, 2008 17:34

Honky Tonk Women is the best song on LYL and, personally, the best performance of it ever released - even better than the single. Tumbling Dice is horrible. Most of the album is horrible. I still like it but it's really bad. Yeah - Mick overdubbing new vocal tracks - as well as Keith - just - WHY BOTHER THEN? Mick doesn't even overdub it very good because you can hear the live vocal bleeding through all over the place while he's not "singing" on the album.

El Mocambo side, of course - or should I say "the" el Mocambo? - is excellent but even that is weakened by Mick O/D the harmonica on Mannish Boy.

Flashpoint is pretty bad - it's so shiny and polished. But it does have the best version of Start Me Up on it as well as Sad Sad Sad. That's about it. The rest of it is pretty bad. The Rote Stones...

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: October 7, 2008 18:20

Happy24
Gazza
Jagger never sang worse. Apart from the El Mocambo songs and a couple of the tracks from 1975, its largely unlistenable.

I fully agree

I fully disagree

Date: October 7, 2008 18:42

That tour should have been called The Howling Tour. That's all Jagger did was howl. Like that awful 1973 clip - he was too busy jumping around to even sound remotely like himself.

Posted by: RiffKichards ()
Date: October 7, 2008 20:32

Paul Kersey
Happy24
Gazza
Jagger never sang worse. Apart from the El Mocambo songs and a couple of the tracks from 1975, its largely unlistenable.

I fully agree

I fully disagree

Love You Live has always been a particular album... some fans absolutly love it, some others absolutly detest it.

I adore this album, very wild and very tough.. El macombo side is fabulous.
And I think people who detest Love You Live usually adore Get yer's...

I don't like get yer's.. because it sounds too simple and Mick Taylor is not well used (From Mick Taylor period, I prefer Brussels Affairs... I hope some songs will be officially released as JJF, or Midnight Rambler..).

But Stones have many periods, up to you to choose your favourite !!!
(some are thinking that the Rolling Stones with Brian Jones are not really the Rolling Stones !!).

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: October 7, 2008 20:59

I remember buying the album when I was 16-17, my thoughts then are my thoughts now...one of the worst live albums ever released. I gave the record away and never thought twice about replacing it.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 8, 2008 00:09

Paul Kersey
Happy24
Gazza

I fully agree

I fully disagree

Take another listen to the abomination that is JJF and get back to me.

Date: October 8, 2008 01:42

I've never liked the production of Love You Live. The sound seems flat without the cutting crispness of most of the other live albums they've put out. Musically it was good but still a let down compared to MT's pyromaniacs circa Brussels 1973. I saw them live in 1975 and many of the same songs are on Love You Live. Even the boots of that year sound different, not as professional, but with more of a sonic edge.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: October 8, 2008 02:19

Except the El Mocambo side, IORR and You Gotta Move I hardly ever listen to that album. I much prefer listening to audience recordings from the '75-'76 shows.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: October 8, 2008 02:24

Gazza and others

I don't get many opportunities to disagree with Gazza, so I'm excited...

Yes, Mick shouted instead of singing, often forgot lyrics and otherwise didn't seem like he cared a lot about being musical. What he did give us, though, was fantastic, outrageous, uninhibited, almost child-like, entertainment. It's not my favorite Mick period, but I do strongly prefer it to the more mannered and calculated (some of you use the word "professional" for this -- I'll meet you half way and agree it's both) Mick we have today. Of course, he's still the best...but he was then too.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 8, 2008 02:37

I love this album, I find it hilarious.
It's a nice snapshot of a high-octane band that doesn't take any of it too seriously. This was back when they still had a sense of fun, when fun and cool intermingled.

Gimme this over any Stones live album they did afterwards anyday (though I'd take a nice, proper '78 show release... please!)

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 8, 2008 02:54

In addition to the 1975/1977 tracks included on the album.....I have to admit that I love Brown Sugar and Jumpin Jack Flash from LYL - maybe it's because I grew up with them; and maybe it's because Mick's lack of direction in 1976 is forced into a insane and beyond-ironic performance during those 2 songs.....the greatness comes a very different angle than it does when the band is "on"....like the year before. Ronnie does some great lead as well - allthough it didn't sound quite as good in reality....before overdubbing/editing. It's a bit of the same during a few songs of Knebworth 1976.....Wild Horses especially - the performance dresses in a new suit - maybe unintentionally; and without the band being aware of it.....the result is so much different than the tired performances that took place that entire year.
Side 1 & 2 of LYL are.....well, it's a big disappointment

...could never understand why they didn't include "Hand Of Fate" btw

When it comes to the atmosphere, performance....and everything - 1975 and 1976 is like night and day. Maybe it's because their visual appearance on stage wasn't TOO different, that many seems to think of those 2 tours as one and the same.
The YCAGWYW solo of Ronnie from Paris 76....it's even edited....it's not at all (IMO) comparable to what he did during that song the year before....as well as what the rest of the band put into it....

I'd rather listen to a poor sounding awesome 1975 show - than LYL....allthough I love sides 3 & 4......too bad they edited and overdubbed Sympathy though ! It was brilliant in it's full lenght - while the polished and butchered official version doesn't make any sense....unless one have nothing to compare it with.

Love You Live must be the biggest mistake Rolling Stones ever did when it comes to album releases....in the way that it could had been such an even greater thrill - if they'd went for performances of other tours from the same "era". Just like Dylan's "At Budokan" of 1978....it's "nice", but I never listen to it; because of the Europe and USA audience recordings from the same year - they're on a different level.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-08 13:52 by Erik_Snow.

Date: October 8, 2008 03:30

texas fan
Gazza and others

I don't get many opportunities to disagree with Gazza, so I'm excited...

LMAO smileys with beer

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: October 8, 2008 04:23

<<too bad they edited and overdubbed Sympathy though ! It was brilliant in it's full lenght - while the polished and butchered official version doesn't make any sense....unless one have nothing to compare it with.>>

Same goes for Fingerprint File

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: October 8, 2008 05:37

I have never been able to warm to Love You Live. I like the intro and then into Honky Tonk Women. I can't say enough how great Crackin' Up is too, but the rest isn't listenable to me. The 1975-6 shows are the only period I rarely, if ever, listen to. Compare any 1975 shows to anything from Handsome Girls and I feel it's like night and day.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 8, 2008 08:54

jamesfdouglas
This was back when they still had a sense of fun, when fun and cool intermingled.
quote]

very well put. I really liked LYL when I first got it for that very reason. after hearing other shows from the 75 tour, I can see how it didn't capture the best shows and the fact that it cuts out parts of songs is annoyinng, but still its still a fun album to listen to. I got a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-08 08:56 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 8, 2008 11:34

As a kid in Bumfuck, Nowheresville, far away from anywhere you could actually attend a Stones show, to be able to put the needle down on this record and be transported to a real live Stones show was nothing less than transcendent for a budding young Stones fan. Dissecting it so many years later... yes, I understand the shortcomings, the superior bootleg recordings, blah blah blah, but LOVE YOU LIVE served its purpose more than well: it was magical. It was a ticket on vinyl for a concert that some of us could otherwise only attend in our imagination. I will always cherish it for that.

Posted by: RiffKichards ()
Date: October 8, 2008 13:36

Glam Descendant
As a kid in Bumfuck, Nowheresville, far away from anywhere you could actually attend a Stones show, to be able to put the needle down on this record and be transported to a real live Stones show was nothing less than transcendent for a budding young Stones fan. Dissecting it so many years later... yes, I understand the shortcomings, the superior bootleg recordings, blah blah blah, but LOVE YOU LIVE served its purpose more than well: it was magical. It was a ticket on vinyl for a concert that some of us could otherwise only attend in our imagination. I will always cherish it for that.

Well-said. It's also my case (I was too young in 76 to go to a concert).

In Europe, the following tour were the 1982 Tour and "Still Live". Still Live was a disapointment for me and some of the 82 tour shows were real disasters (while some others were very nice).

As I already said, Love You Live is my favourite Stones live album. To hear "Love You Live" gives me the feeling that the Rolling Stones are escaping from the human zoo and are returning to wild life... it's like a bubble of oxygen and safe rebellion... very punk in the spirit.

I also love their performances in Paris the year 1976... (where Love You Live is coming from in majority). Fool to cry (with Billy Preston) is wonderful, Hand of Fate is magic.

Date: October 8, 2008 15:28

Oddly enough, I like the Tv footage from Paris'76. Sloppy, but great fun and brimming with charisma.. It just doesnt seem to translate well to a record, unfortunately.

Date: October 8, 2008 15:48

Gazza
Paul Kersey
Happy24
Gazza

I fully agree

I fully disagree

I can understand why someone wouldn't like JJF off LYL but for me I think its spot on. I'd take it over every version they did 1989 onwards. It doesn't quite rock with female backing singers! Urgggh!

Date: October 8, 2008 16:34

Still Live eh? Still Life is a curious title.

JJF on Ya-Ya's is the best one ever, even though the vocal is an overdub and it's not anything like how he sung the choruses on that tour, which of that way I like the best.

JJF on LYL is every plane crashing at O'Hare at once. It's awful. Mick is "singing" it like he's got a very bad load to get rid of on the pot. Just think about it - Mick took the time in the studio to sound almost as winded and as bad as he did live. Why not just leave what was on the tape to begin with? The damn percussion on this version clutters it up. Keith and Ronnie play great as far as what they're DOING but it still stinks.

The best version of JJF on a live album since Ya-Ya's has got to be Shine A Light. And that's still saying a lot.

I still like LYL. It's a fun abomination.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: October 8, 2008 16:57

JJF on LYL has a wrong chord played by Keith (If I rememebr rightly): he plays A-Flat Major instead of A Major during the last chorus.

Date: October 8, 2008 17:05

On LYL? At 2:38? Yeah, that is hilarious! With the fourth being honked on it still sounds - it's not bad bad but it is interestingly bad. At least we know that is not an overdub - unless he overdubbed it and still got it wrong and they left it!

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: October 8, 2008 17:28

Not an album that I particularly like, though NME's Nick Kent tried his best to defend it at the time of its release:

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: October 8, 2008 17:37

CousinC
I've seen every tour since 70 and mostly lots of dates.

Tell us about 1972!!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 8, 2008 17:40

skipstone
Still Live eh? Still Life is a curious title.

you know the story of where the title comes from, i assume...

Date: October 8, 2008 17:45

Paul Kersey
Gazza
Paul Kersey
Happy24
Gazza

I fully agree

I fully disagree

I can understand why someone wouldn't like JJF off LYL but for me I think its spot on. I'd take it over every version they did 1989 onwards. It doesn't quite rock with female backing singers! Urgggh!

Agree with you on the backing singers, although they generally dont use them when its an opener - the concise version they played of it on No Security being a prime example when they got it right.

Date: October 8, 2008 18:33

Yeah when its an opener it sounds ok. I quite like the SAL version from the modern era. I just prefer a ragged JJF. The best version for me is the Brussels one. Fast, furious rock and roll! :-)

Date: October 8, 2008 18:51

Funny how that article he talks about the trickery to clean up Ya-Ya's but there is obviously very little on LYL? HA HA!

As a matter of fact I do not know the story behind the title of Still Life (or Still Live as someone else called it). Never knew there was one. Just always thought it was a strange title for a live album.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1117
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home