Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT-Downey Jr. On The Dark Knight-F%^k DC Comics
Posted by: CrazyDadda ()
Date: October 5, 2008 22:31

I would have posted this in the dark knight thread, but I couldn't find it. I just saw Iron Man yesterday, which I thought was really good. I can understand his point.

Robert Downey Jr gave a lengthy interview, promoting his hilarious turn in "Tropic Thunder," to moviehole.net. Later in the interview, via a discussion of "iron Man's" success, the topic of "The Dark Knight" came up, and Downey didn't mince words .

Here's what he said:

"Iron Man 2" is a topic of conversation, as he and Favreau are currently collaborating on a story for the much anticipated sequel. "Now Justin Theraux who wrote 'Tropic Thunder', is writing it and Jon and I are working on the story with him. It's pretty great and I think it's going to be cool. I think it's going to appropriately well thought out so that we don't forget what got us the response that we appreciated so much, which is, we didn't say, 'Great, now that this is like this, now we're going to twist it and do this with it.' It's now; I'm not saying we're going to do bits. I think more of the same; it is a very rich feel, because it was a very simple movie, if you ask me. It was an origin story."

Which apparently was not the case with the other big summer movie "The Dark Knight". "My whole thing is that that I saw 'The Dark Knight'. I feel like I'm dumb because I feel like I don't get how many things that are so smart. It's like a Ferrari engine of storytelling and script writing and I'm like, 'That's not my idea of what I want to see in a movie.' I loved 'The Prestige' but didn't understand 'The Dark Knight'. Didn't get it, still can't tell you what happened in the movie, what happened to the character and in the end they need him to be a bad guy. I'm like, 'I get it. This is so high brow and so f--king smart, I clearly need a college education to understand this movie.' You know what? F-ck DC comics. That's all I have to say and that's where I'm really coming from."

Well clearly Downey isn't about to do anything for DC Comics anytime soon. "You know, you're never too old to burn your bridges because I believe I have offended everyone," he says, laughingly. "I think I've got a couple more. 'I'll burn that bridge when I come to it' is my favourite phrase I've ever coined."

Re: OT-Downey Jr. On The Dark Knight-F%^k DC Comics
Posted by: Keith The Beast ()
Date: October 6, 2008 00:42

As much as I liked The Dark Knight and thought there was some brilliant stuff in it, I gotta say I agree with Downey Jr here. The movie story was far too complicated and I got the feeling they were trying to hard to make it seem as a very intelligent and serious movie. At the end of the day the main character is still in a bat suit fighting a clown. People want action, I missed a little more action and little less of the "thought provoking" attitude.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: October 6, 2008 01:44

Just finished watching "Zodiac", with Robert Downey jr, he´s such a good actor. And the movie was really good, based on a true story, and had a small Stonesconnection. In one scene where the main character is zapping thru radiostations in his car, you´ll hear one radio voice saying something about how to get to see the Stones. This scene is taking place in 1969. And, played by Brian Cox, Melvin Belli of Altamont fame has a part in the movie. Interesting story, that about the Zodiac killer.
Recommended viewing.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 6, 2008 05:39

The Dark Knight is the first comic movie that really is more than it seems. Yes, it is hard to pick up on all the nuances in the film, but it is a stunning work. It is a Comic film with depth and very dark. Yes, indeed Batman does become the bad guy at the end which sets the stage for the next film where he has to really stay out of the way of the police and become the dreaded Batman, that will slowly be shown as the hero he is.

Really a outstanding thinking mans comic epic. With great acting and some amazing effects that did not rely on CGI!!!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 6, 2008 06:56

Wow. Like, Downey like, obviously, you know, like, doesn't have any kind of, like, college under his, you know, belt.

Posted by: SimonV ()
Date: October 6, 2008 11:52

Robert Downey Jr. is a dumb kid, as can be seen here, but I gotta agree about The Dark Knight. The movie was full of blablabla. All those quasi-intelligent, kind of philosophical dialogues between the characters got on your nerves incredible. The movie got great reviews because it had great actors (I can't deny it), an enormous budget, big special effects, great looks.. and just because it's a 'blockbuster'. Happens a lot with movies these days. Just give someone 100 million bucks if you want a good movie. If you want a better one, give them 150 million bucks, and so on. About 25% of that money goes to promotion. The 'hyping' is incredibly annoying. The Dark Knight was the perfect example, it was hyped to the extreme, and the only reason was that big executives wanted it to be. Why? Because it's a movie that can speak to all generations, kids because it's a super hero, older people because it had a serious side too and out of nostalgia. It was decided that it was a great movie before one scene was shot.

Movies are art, and the one great thing about art is that it doesn't have a price, and The Dark Knight was one big, ugly showcase of a huge budget that tried to give viewers a good feeling about it just by wowing it. There's these "Making of"s, you know. And they go "and this seen cost 10 million dollars!!" "And if you think THAT was a lot of money, how about this scene, 20 million dollars!" It's redicolous.

Simon
myspace.com/koningsimon

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2357
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home