Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

sam cutler book
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 30, 2008 23:04

Published - 1 October- "You can't always get what you want - my life with the Rolling Stones, the Grateful Dead and other wonderful retrobates".
or: Sones Manager sets the record straight.

Altamont features as you would expect, but I assume the Dead will be more prominent given his longer association with them.
Now lives in Brisbane, Australia.
Oh, he also thinks the Stones will just go on and on until they are dead -"they can't do anything else than be musicians, that's what they are"
"And who knows, may be they will get a job playing harp for God".

So, now we know.

Re: sam cutler book
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 1, 2008 02:52

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: October 1, 2008 03:21

Please don't bring this up - there's expletives in that article... Don't you know about the ban on bad language that was imposed a couple of days ago ?

Date: October 1, 2008 03:28

I didn't write the article, but it's totally Stones-related. I think that makes it worthy of inclusion here.

Posted by: ERC6761 ()
Date: October 1, 2008 05:25

Lightnin'
Please don't bring this up - there's expletives in that article... Don't you know about the ban on bad language that was imposed a couple of days ago ?

which ban was this, yet another of BV's rules??

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: October 1, 2008 07:38

yes, it's just that this one was not labelled Sticky.

Say, from what year to what year did Cutler work for the Stones (and I assume it was all as road manager)?

p

Date: October 1, 2008 12:37

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: October 1, 2008 12:58

timbernardis
yes, it's just that this one was not labelled Sticky.

Say, from what year to what year did Cutler work for the Stones (and I assume it was all as road manager)?

p

Wasn't it just during 1969, ie Hyde Park plus the US 1969 tour? Didn't hear much about him after 1969. I may be wrong...

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 23, 2008 08:51

BV writes on the News Section that Sam doesn't have a U.S. deal for this book yet. Anybody know how to get a hold of a copy?

And btw: The background pic of him on his website is awesome.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 23, 2008 12:36

I found out how to buy it. I have Sam Cutler as a friend on Facebook, and he said that you can get it on www.booktopia.com.au

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: October 27, 2008 02:41

I bought his book and read over the weekend. Very interesting read and I highly recommend it to everyone! There is some very insightful stuff in there, especially about the whiole '69 tour and Altamont of course.

Just to give you a nice little detaail: Did you know he "played" the auto horn in the beginning of country honk?! They eventually recorded the violin that appaers on the track on the street in Los Angeles because Jagger wasn't satified with the sound he was getting in the studio. But because they were outside the traffic noice was also recorded. Jagger really liked it so Sam Cutler got into a car and honked the horn a couple of times.

Not anything special but just a nice little bit of infromation you get in the book other then all the shocking news. So I advise you to go buy it, I talked to Sam on the internet about his book and he is a very nice aproachable person!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: October 27, 2008 14:30

Kent...Thanx for the link..however I cant pay $27 to ship a $31 book...i'll just have to wait for the usa release...

Posted by: silverstones69 ()
Date: October 29, 2008 07:13

My brother in law has been a Brisbane Muso for over 20 years now & has played 100's & 100's of gigs in the "Valley" area of Brisbane in this time.

He has come across Cutler a few times over the last couple of years maybe. The Valley is where Cutler says he tends to hang out in Brisbane for the music scene & see how things are sounding these days.

Cutler expressed interest in managing their band at one time & they sort of agreed to a bit of a trial run, being wary of someone from the "old school" of managing bands.

He apparently got them a booking for a corporate gig which they played & were quite happy to do so & didn't expect much from it, but did expect some type of small payment to cover the gig etc.

Well they got Jack from Sam & they were pretty sure this corproate gig payed fairly well for the live enertainment.

They weren't fazed by this result, just all shook their head in agreement that maybe this is one potential manager that might be just looking out for No 1 only.

They hold no animosity toward Cutler & laugh about it, and I know people that still see him around there. Most of my Brisbane friends have been musos in that city for the last 20+ years.

He has often & recently been in Sydney on a "Talking Tour" to promote his new book, which I have almost gone to a few weeks back but had to miss unfortunately.

Would have loved to have gone & heard what he had to say, am sure it would have been very interesting night out.

I have nothing bad to say about the guy, just thought I would share that little story of my brother & his couple of run ins with Sam Cutler in Brisbane.

Well at least it makes my brother & us all laugh & be able to tell a good story over a few beers.

I wish him luck with the book.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 997
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home