Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Angie videos from '73
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: September 29, 2008 22:19

Any idea why there were two pre-produced, live lead vocal versions? I love them both, just seems odd (and one was from the silver train/dancing session, right?)

Re: Angie videos from '73
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 29, 2008 22:59

These were all shot with the exclusive premier in the US on "Don Kirshners Rock Concert" in 73. I cant remember if the order was Siver Train and then Mr D. in the middle or the other way around but both Angie s were shown(at the beginning and at the end)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-29 23:04 by scottkeef.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 29, 2008 23:31

Was "Dancing With Mr. D" considered as a potential single? I wondered why they didn't do a video for DDDDD(H).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-29 23:31 by Glam Descendant.

Date: September 29, 2008 23:42

I never thought of that! An interesting question.When I first listened to the album (at the time of release) I never considered Heartbreaker single material but what did a 16 year old know?

Date: September 30, 2008 00:16

I also wonder if they did a video for "Silver Train" thinking that, if the ballad on the A-side didn't fly djs may opt for the more traditional rock B-side.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 30, 2008 00:50

Was there 2 or 3 versions of Angie recorded?

Date: September 30, 2008 00:56

I dont know about recorded but there were only two b'casted.

Date: September 30, 2008 01:37

The one where MJ wears the peasant's hat is, for me, proof positive that he's the greatest front man in history (x 1000)

from 3:30 on, he sells this freaking song like nothing else, barely moving, making every breath count--the "touch" on the performance is crazy--an absolute tour de force

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 30, 2008 01:38

Sorry, I meant broadcasted. I know the one where Keith and MT are sitting side by side with roses in their guitars and there's the other where MT is playing piano. I thought there was a third one, too.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: September 30, 2008 05:28

Saw the original Kirschner broadcast back in Sept 73 when I was a mere 11 years old. Show started with sit down version of Angie( the one off Video Rewind). Then we had to sit thru 45 minutes of other stuff, and then Silver Train, Dancing, and then Jagger standing doing Angie.

Date: September 30, 2008 05:39

Bash--I think I was 12--remember what an event that was, seeing them like this? I'm not sure I've even recovered today

Date: September 30, 2008 06:40

I cant even remember who else was on that night but I remember the media blitz with full page adds in Crawdaddy and Rolling Stone!

Date: September 30, 2008 07:28

I'll guess:

(in Kirschner twang)

"Tonight featuring a powerful trio from north of our border boasting two brothers and a cousin in plaid jackets, they call themselves Bachman Turner Overdrive... another tuneful trio called Nazareth... the bizarre yet lightly humorous comedy and musical stylings of Gary Muledeer... and five British lads who were once compared to the Beatles, but today are referred to by some as "the greatest rock outfit in the world"...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-30 07:33 by hbwriter.

Date: September 30, 2008 07:40

"To some, they're lewd, rude and crude. To others, they're simply called KISS. Four NY buddies who today have decided to forgo rock in the name of the number they'll be performing this evening, "Beth." We'll hear an irreverent yet sidesplitting routine from counter-culture hippie comedians, Cheech & Chong. Followed by a group that made their name at Altamont and has since gone on to numerous chart topping endeavors, The Rolling Stones."

(I know the dates are screwed up but I used to LOVE watching Kirschner smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-30 07:57 by hbwriter.

Date: September 30, 2008 07:55

Kirschner - "Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, the dynamic duo of rock, have been making music together for more than 10 years as members of the androgynous group, the Rolling Stones. Rounded out by Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman and newcomer Mick Taylor, the band continues to challenge its audience with melodic yet progressive rock that's based on a classic rhythm & blues formula. England's "bad boys" return tonight to perform their smash single, Angie, rumored to have been written about David Bowie's wife, Angela. In addition, they'll be performing Silver Train and Dancing with the Mr. D., proving definitively that they are still truly 'england's newest hitmakers"

(i'll shut up) smiling smiley

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: September 30, 2008 15:25

scottkeef
I never thought of that! An interesting question.When I first listened to the album (at the time of release) I never considered Heartbreaker single material but what did a 16 year old know?

No, no, it was not the lack of knowing of a 16-year-old (as old as me, it seems). Heartbreaker certainly was not A-side single material because on record it sounds a little bit tired and somehow muddy. It came to life in the great live recordings of the Tour of Europe 1973 (especially Brussels, of course). Same goes for Dancing with Mr D.

Date: September 30, 2008 15:57

I love the footage from DKRC(all the bands) amd the GREAT "Midnight Special".
When you look back at the footage it may seem "hokey" but every Fiday night we has REAL r n r music tv! Remember ABC's "IN CONCERT" series? In Dallas they simulcast(a radical conception for the time) on KZEW FM. I got loads of good cassete tapes from that!!And remember when MS used to bcast a couple of songs from "Ladies & Gentlmen"?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 1, 2008 19:22

I know the one where Keith and MT are sitting side by side with roses in their guitars and there's the other where MT is playing piano. I thought there was a third one, too.-DGA 35-

Did you notice that K.Richards and M.Taylor never,never made any eye contact as long as Mick was with the Rolling Stones?

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: October 1, 2008 20:21

Always thought they should have played: Hide Your Love
instead of the weak offerings they gave us, back then... everything was about
Mick Jagger in those days - too bad

MLC

Date: October 1, 2008 21:42

hide your love as a single??

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: October 1, 2008 23:40

HB - No, what I was talking about,back then,

This was billed as the Stones, live in concert on TV. Alot of us "older now " Stones fans got together to watch the show on TV and were somewhat disappointed with the song selection.

Not all of those songs were released as singles. Just another example of
Jagger/Richards hogging the limelight on TV or film and the only time Taylor
could shine was live, in concert or in the studio..

MLC

Date: October 2, 2008 02:12

>Not all of those songs were released as singles.

Wrong, all 3 of those songs appeared on singles.

Date: October 2, 2008 02:31

GD--that's what i thought--

i loved those videos--i actually though charlie always came off great in them--so subtle

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1464
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home