Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Track Talk: Already Over Me
Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: September 30, 2008 20:45

T&A
guitarbastard
i listened to this song when i was horribly lovesick. although it's ten years ago and i'm over it it still brings tears to my eyes...and after 30 seconds i have to skip, it just still brings back all those memories....

be a man, for crissakes....

you dont know the sad story behind, but nevermind...beeing to emotional in public is really uncool, i admit! ;-)

Posted by: z ()
Date: September 30, 2008 20:45

Great drums sound. I love the bass drum!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 30, 2008 21:12

guitarbastard
T&A
guitarbastard
i listened to this song when i was horribly lovesick. although it's ten years ago and i'm over it it still brings tears to my eyes...and after 30 seconds i have to skip, it just still brings back all those memories....

you dont know the sad story behind, but nevermind...beeing to emotional in public is really uncool, i admit! ;-)

it's okay. the song makes me sad, too - but for more manly reasons, namely that i detest jagger's pussyish vocals.....

moral of the story - if you're gonna cry, have it be for manly reasons. that goes for you women out there, too, by the by....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-30 22:46 by T&A.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: September 30, 2008 22:40

This is the best of the slow songs on B2B: a great melody that transports emotional tension. Mick's vocal performance and the guitars are really special.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: October 1, 2008 01:33

It's the best of Mick's B2B slow songs....
Actually 'Sweethearts', 'Blinded by Rainbows,' to name just 2 are imo way better songs/tracks. Good point re the drums & overall sound - at least it's not too slick a la SOL...

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: October 1, 2008 01:37

I absolutely love this song, although I'm not a big fan of the B2B album. Fantastic lyrics, great production, Jagger pouring his heart out, great Charlie, Keith and Ronnie spot on. Damn, what an incredible mood it creates!! One of the finest ballads they've ever written, IMO.

Drew

Date: October 1, 2008 01:43

drewmaster
I absolutely love this song, although I'm not a big fan of the B2B album. Fantastic lyrics, great production, Jagger pouring his heart out, great Charlie, Keith and Ronnie spot on. Damn, what an incredible mood it creates!! One of the finest ballads they've ever written, IMO.

Drew

just as long as you don't cry...awwww, baby don't cry.....

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 1, 2008 06:15

I really can't imagine ever listening this song from start to finish again.

It's not terrible on its face, but do you think they really looked at each other after cutting or mixing it in the studio and said, "yeah, that's a keeper... this is gonna blow our fans away"?

Posted by: john r ()
Date: October 1, 2008 06:59

Drewmaster's enthusiasm leads me think I might give it another listen, with 'fresh ears'. Heck, I eventually learned to love 'Dancing With Mr D', a murky, narcotic Dr John Gris Gris groove that seemed to nod into a pot of gumbo halfway through...Not a very good song, but I like it!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 1, 2008 18:26

Well...they must have agreed on such tripe as Till The Next Goodbye, Angie, Fool To Cry, Continental Drift so there you go.

Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: October 1, 2008 18:43

Easily one of their best ballads. Standing alongside "Wild Horses", "Ruby Tuesday", "Fool To Cry" and "Angie". Scrath that, easily one of their best songs. Micks singing/lyrics is pure magic to my ears!

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 1, 2008 19:03

skipstone
Well...they must have agreed on such tripe as Till The Next Goodbye, Angie, Fool To Cry, Continental Drift so there you go.

yeah, but "Angie" was a smash hit. My point was that this song had to be pegged as filler from the start. "Fool to Cry" (also a hit) and "Continental Drift" are totally different styles and don't fit what I perceive to be the category you mean (bland, middle-of-the-road ballad). "Til the Next Goodbye," I agree, but that at least has a slight touch of style--but not much more--and moreover it was only 3 years after "Wild Horses," so it might have still made sense to try to duplicate it once more.

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: October 4, 2008 15:31

This doesn't have the despair that some of the great Stones' ballads communicate. A good song, but missing that edge.

Posted by: Slimharpo ()
Date: October 4, 2008 17:10

It's a hollow shell of a song compared to "Wild Horses." I really hope I never have to listen to it or anything on Bridges ever again.

Date: October 4, 2008 17:13

If 'Til The Next Goodbye had been edited to be a bit shorter it may have...could be...a better tune. I like it, I just don't think it's in that category of GREAT BALLAD.

I know Angie was a smash - it's an obvious choice. I just don't like it.

Almost Hear You Sigh was the last ballad (and first since Beast Of Burden) they released that worked. Had they released Already Over Me I think it would have helped Bridges out a bit - certainly the set lists ha ha....

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: October 4, 2008 23:47

As a ballad I prefer Always Suffering, it's really sweet. But Already Over Me is also one of my favorites, very emotional and sad song.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 6, 2008 00:17

T&A

>grinning smiley<

I'd love, love, love for the Stones to release a dics without a ballad.
Live, covers, original, I don't care.
The last ballad-free album of there's was Undercover I think?

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: October 6, 2008 02:49

jamesfdouglas
T&A

>grinning smiley<

hehe, yeah once again - shame on me for being so unmanly! haha ;-)

the funny thing is that keith recently (since vodoo lounge) mainly wrote ballads....
so is keith a sissy too?

Date: October 6, 2008 04:45

Dirty Work didn't have any ballads on it. I think. Would you call Sleep Tonight a ballad?

Date: October 6, 2008 05:35

well, what would you call it? a dance track?

Date: October 6, 2008 05:49

I dunno. I've always found ballads to be more about sadness or pining or love, whereas Sleep Tonight just sounds like a nice bossy Quit Doing So Many Drugs song that they ripped off from themselves because obviously they couldn't come up with something a tad bit more original.

Date: October 6, 2008 17:30

guitarbastard
jamesfdouglas
T&A

>grinning smiley<

hehe, yeah once again - shame on me for being so unmanly! haha ;-)

the funny thing is that keith recently (since vodoo lounge) mainly wrote ballads....
so is keith a sissy too?

if he cries when he writes them, yes. the rules clearly state that there is no crying in rocknroll.....

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: October 6, 2008 19:35

A Stones classic

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 8, 2008 19:35

skipstone
Dirty Work didn't have any ballads on it. I think. Would you call Sleep Tonight a ballad?

Absolutely.
Keith's band input imo has been too ballad-heavy since then.
I'm personally done with Keith ballads (and bad Jagger ones for that matter).
Not every disc needs a bloody ballad!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 8, 2008 20:06

john r
Some of these so-so ballads really strike me as Mick's more personal lyrics - he has a hard time with 'sincerity', and not having a 'natural' way of expressing himself on these songs over-enunciates...He's always been more comfortable with blurring personae, irony, ambiguity, lust, anger.

This is a good point. There are not many instances Jagger seems 'naturally' express 'sincere' feelings, from 'real' Jagger (or something close to the ideal). Like in the case of "Already Over Me" he seems to hide the message under the over-interpretation, sounds almost like not believing himself being convincing without his interpretation skills and cliches. Maybe "Wild Horses" and perhaps "Fool To Cry" are some rare samples of Jagger making exception.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-08 20:07 by Doxa.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: October 8, 2008 21:26

The playing on already over me is great, it is a good song!

Date: October 8, 2008 21:46

Still, Keith could have come up with something more original for Sleep Tonight. The fact that he stole from his own song is just weak. But then again maybe he liked it so much - that just stinks though. Although I do like the song.

Already Over Me is, while not nearly as moving or solid or as good as Out Of Tears, a pretty good ballad.

Date: October 21, 2008 04:15

I brought this one back for audun-eg who seems to think there aren't enough Rolling Stones threads on here. Which is funny - if you go past page 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and just keep going there are plenty of Rolling Stones threads. So I thought I'd shine a light for ol' audun-eg.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: October 21, 2008 12:24

The drums on that track are really great, Ronnie's slide fits in well, the whole band plays together with lots of swing.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 13, 2012 00:28

Great track, the guitars, drums and Benmont Tench's keyboard are stellar and the vocal is decent, "on the way to Mexico...", the "ahhhh" at one point.

No one mentioned it, or possibly remembers, but that's the track that Babyface had produced originally but Mick didn't like it and Keith claims in his book that he was given the task of getting rid of the guy...I'd love to hear that "looped" version!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-13 10:18 by gotdablouse.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2034
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home