Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

bands that have opened for the stones
Posted by: canadian.sway ()
Date: September 26, 2008 17:29

could i be a pain and ask everyone to make a list of bands that have opened for the rolling stones over the years?
toss in as many as you can think of. the more obscure the better.

i'm trying to put together a radio show of the diverse bands that the stones have had open for them.

thanks to all of you.

Re: bands that have opened for the Stones
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 26, 2008 17:45

the list's right here: [www.timeisonourside.com]
or if you prefer alphabetical order: [www.timeisonourside.com]

three pound ten please smoking smiley

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: September 26, 2008 18:25

play the hellacopters in your radioshow! they opened for the stones in 2003!
they are @#$%& AMAZING
and even did a cool cover of gimme shelter:

and here's GS:

and kicking ASS live:

***** i'm a cold italian pizza *****

Re: bands that have opened for the stones
Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: September 26, 2008 18:30

When did RHCP oppened for them?

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: September 26, 2008 18:40

Prince, Ike and Tina Turner, Pretenders, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Guns and Roses, Blues Traveler, Buddy Guy, Living Color, Van Morrison, Toots and Maytals, Lynryd Skynard, AC/DC, Grateful Dead(did not show up)

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 26, 2008 18:41

>> When did RHCP oppened for them? <<

1994, according to the list by tour that i gave the link to above: [www.timeisonourside.com]
try it!

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: September 26, 2008 18:50

I don't think it was 1994 the Chili Peppers opened for them cause they only played Woodstock that year.. But they did open for them I think only once.. Here is what Anthony Keidis said about it.. right on the money and pretty much everything I hate about the big stadium shows..

Here's Kiedis on being the opening act for the Rolling Stones:

But opening for the Stones is a crummy job anyway. I can't recommend it to anybody. You get the offer and you think, "Historically speaking, they're the second most important rock band in the history of music, after the Beatles. So we should have a brush with history."

But the fact is, the Rolling Stones audience today is lawyers and doctors and CPAs and contractors and real estate development people. This is a conservative, wealthy group. No one's rocking out. The ticket prices and merchandise costs are astronomical. It's more like "Let's go to the Rolling Stones mall and watch them play on the big screen and watch the fireworks and lighting."

The whole experience is horrible. First you get there, and they won't let you do a sound check. Then they give you an eightieth of the stage. They set aside this tiny area and say, "This is for you. You don't get the lights, and you're not allowed to use our sound system. And oh, by the way, you see that wooden floor? That's Mick's imported antique wood flooring from the Brazilian jungle, and that's what he dances on. If you so much as look at it, you won't get paid."

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: September 26, 2008 18:57

Hound Dog
I don't think it was 1994 the Chili Peppers opened for them cause they only played Woodstock that year.. But they did open for them I think only once.. Here is what Anthony Keidis said about it.. right on the money and pretty much everything I hate about the big stadium shows..

Here's Kiedis on being the opening act for the Rolling Stones:

But opening for the Stones is a crummy job anyway. I can't recommend it to anybody. You get the offer and you think, "Historically speaking, they're the second most important rock band in the history of music, after the Beatles. So we should have a brush with history."

But the fact is, the Rolling Stones audience today is lawyers and doctors and CPAs and contractors and real estate development people. This is a conservative, wealthy group. No one's rocking out. The ticket prices and merchandise costs are astronomical. It's more like "Let's go to the Rolling Stones mall and watch them play on the big screen and watch the fireworks and lighting."

The whole experience is horrible. First you get there, and they won't let you do a sound check. Then they give you an eightieth of the stage. They set aside this tiny area and say, "This is for you. You don't get the lights, and you're not allowed to use our sound system. And oh, by the way, you see that wooden floor? That's Mick's imported antique wood flooring from the Brazilian jungle, and that's what he dances on. If you so much as look at it, you won't get paid."

it's pathetic...jesus, it's not the first story i heard about that the stones treat their supports like shit! but on the other hand i'm not so shure if the RHCP don't act the same withe their support...it's just ridicolous!

Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: September 26, 2008 18:58

Belgian solo-artist, obscure guitar-stompin', compeletely crazy human BEAT box boogie'n'bluesguy DON 'Little Jimmy' CROISSANT opened for the Stones in '65 or '66, as I recall being told. Here's a link to his blog: [doncroissant.blogspot.com]
(it's in Dutch/Flemish) - and a link to his booking page (thàt's in English!): [www.twinstreet-bookings.com]

I saw him play, once: wicked!

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: September 26, 2008 19:42

StratoGR
When did RHCP oppened for them?

At the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, 1994.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: September 26, 2008 20:34

doubledoor
Prince, Ike and Tina Turner, Pretenders, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Guns and Roses, Blues Traveler, Buddy Guy, Living Color, Van Morrison, Toots and Maytals, Lynryd Skynard, AC/DC, Grateful Dead(did not show up)

Actually the Dead did show up...saw the craziness....heard about Marty Balin being punched and knocked unconscious on stage....and got the hell outta Dodge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-27 01:15 by No Expectations.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 27, 2008 00:04

J Geils played with the Stones in '81. They just released the killer LP Freeze Frame, but chose not to perform any songs from that album until they went out and headlined shows. Within a few months after that Peter left in what I think was one of the stupidest moves in Rock n Roll.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: September 27, 2008 03:22

The Grateful Dead did not show up, on stage where an opening act is expected. Some have blamed their absence from the lineup for further agitating an unsteady crowd with the extra downtime without music.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1401
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home