Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT The Who to open the vaults AGAIN
Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: September 24, 2008 15:48

They are releasing their Kilburn 77 and London 69 concerts on one double dvd release in November. God, how I love Pete/Roger for doing this and how I wish Mick/Keith would do the same!!

Re: OT The Who to open the vaults AGAIN
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 24, 2008 15:58

Also, hot off the press...
a mate of mine is working on a double The Who Sell Out project which will include both mono and stereo versions, the outtakes from the mid 90s release plus a few other interesting songs from the era found in the vaults recently. Should be out Christmas time or early next year.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 24, 2008 16:00

Kilburn was specifically done so they could have some footage of the Who playing Baba O'Riley and Won't Get Fooled Again in The Kids Are Alright. The gig was so bad that they had to do another one the following year and almost nothing from the Kilburn gig made it into TKAA. Strangely, they now think it's good enough to sell.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-24 16:04 by tatters.

Date: September 24, 2008 16:09

I have fond memories of that Kilburn gig. I heard about it and could have gone but the same day tickets for an extremely rare Sex Pistols show at Brunell University in Uxbridge, near London went on sale and I went for the latter option. It was Keith Moon's last public gig. As much as I regret seeing that last show I did see The Who with Moon 8 times and at least I can say I saw the Pistols with Sid Vicious.

Date: September 24, 2008 16:32

Silver Dagger
I have fond memories of that Kilburn gig. I heard about it and could have gone but the same day tickets for an extremely rare Sex Pistols show at Brunell University in Uxbridge, near London went on sale and I went for the latter option. It was Keith Moon's last public gig. As much as I regret seeing that last show I did see The Who with Moon 8 times and at least I can say I saw the Pistols with Sid Vicious.

Moon's last show with the Who was the Shepperton Studios gig on May 25, 1978. That's the show they used for TKAA, not Kilburn. The audience at Shepperton was small and handpicked, but still, technically, a "public" performance.

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: September 24, 2008 16:52

Can´t wait to get this release by the second greatest rock n´roll band in the world.
Kilburn is indeed a pretty lackluster show but not the abysmal trainwreck some people make it out to be.
The real gem in this package is the London´69 show. Ever since the first time I saw that ferocious Yong Man Blues clip in The Kids Are Alright I wanted to see the whole thing and now it´s finally coming out!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 24, 2008 16:54

Boston is 1 month from today!! Can't Wait!!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 24, 2008 18:18

tatters
Kilburn was specifically done so they could have some footage of the Who playing Baba O'Riley and Won't Get Fooled Again in The Kids Are Alright. The gig was so bad that they had to do another one the following year and almost nothing from the Kilburn gig made it into TKAA. Strangely, they now think it's good enough to sell.

Reminds me of the Stones reluctance to release Rock n Roll Circus.

Funny what a little time will do. A "bad" gig then is a great gig now.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: September 24, 2008 18:59

My Generation

Date: September 24, 2008 19:00

substitute

Date: September 24, 2008 19:01

Trailer

Posted by: rlngstns ()
Date: September 24, 2008 22:36

VoodooLounge13

any reason why their only doing 10 shows on this tour?...poor sales?...

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 24, 2008 22:55

I'm somewhat curious, simply based on the fact that I've never read anything about any of The Who's reissues of any degree - have any of them sold enough to warrant the work of making them extra-cool reissues? Or does that not matter for MCA or who the hell ever is issuing them?

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: September 24, 2008 23:12

I suspect they are doing this because John's family needs the money.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: September 24, 2008 23:14

Zack
I suspect they are doing this because John's family needs the money.

Maybe John's family should get jobs. That's how I earn money, by working.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: September 24, 2008 23:26

He may have left them debts. Apparently he could blow any amount of money he had and more.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 25, 2008 00:00

ONCE AGAIN THE STONES STAND STILL WHILE OTHER BANDS TAKE LEAPS AND BOUNDS OVER THEM IN THE VAULT DEPARTMENT

Date: September 25, 2008 00:54

There's some pretty silly and ill informed comments above.

The Who have always had a healthy re-issue programme going back as early as odds and sods in 73.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 25, 2008 01:06

ablett

The Who have always had a healthy re-issue programme going back as early as odds and sods in 73.

Yes,but I´m still waiting for the remastered "Quadrophenia",if possible with
a bonus package of outtakes,that would make sense and me - happy !

Posted by: fyp933 ()
Date: September 25, 2008 04:07

i saw the kilburn show when the local pbs tv station broadcasted it a couple of weeks ago as part of their pledge week. i thought the performance was pretty strong (as good as the shepperton show). the major difference i think is that the shepperton show was better shot (partly due to the fact that several retakes were done).

as far as the who sell out reissue - i believe it is scheduled to be released in january 2009.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: September 25, 2008 09:47

is their entire Woodstock performance available?

How does it rank with other performances?

p

Date: September 25, 2008 11:35

A Woodstock re-release is meant to be on the cards featuring the whole performance.

The Who put on a blinding performance

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: September 25, 2008 14:16

The Stones do not stand still while others takes leaps and bounds.

These are songs or recordings that the band deemed not suitable for release. As a friend of mine use to say who's releasing their rubbish this week.

Date: September 25, 2008 14:25

shortfatfanny
ablett

Yes,but I´m still waiting for the remastered "Quadrophenia",if possible with
a bonus package of outtakes,that would make sense and me - happy !

Quadrophenia was due be remastered as the next step in the reissues programme. Apparently a mate who works for the Who organisation said that Townshend wept with joy when he heard the remaster. That was about 2/3 years ago. I don't know why it has never seen the light of day.

As for the Woodstock performance, the bootleg is great quality. The DVD of the show is also pretty intense although shot in b/w from one camera angle.

Date: September 25, 2008 14:29

"As a friend of mine use to say who's releasing their rubbish this we"

Try....

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 25, 2008 14:54

rlngstns
VoodooLounge13

any reason why their only doing 10 shows on this tour?...poor sales?...

My understanding is that the US shows are only there to fill out the schedule for the Japanese shows. In any event, it doesn't matter to me if they played 100 shows - I've never seen them live and I'm so freakin excited!!! Baba, Behind Blue Eyes, and Tea and Theatre are all I wanna hear! I'm a Boy and Pictures of Lily would be great too.

Date: September 25, 2008 16:02

timbernardis
is their entire Woodstock performance available?

How does it rank with other performances?

p

Great performance, but there were a lot of technical problems relating to the equipment that was used at the gig itself, (John's bass sounds like one continuous farting noise), and also with the way in which they were recorded, AND with the poor preservation of the actual master tape.

Date: September 25, 2008 16:08

Abbie Hoffman incident

Date: September 25, 2008 16:09

Summertimes blues Woodstock

Date: September 25, 2008 16:23

Silver Dagger

Quadrophenia was due be remastered as the next step in the reissues programme. Apparently a mate who works for the Who organisation said that Townshend wept with joy when he heard the remaster.

Great. Maybe this time we'll actually be able to hear Roger's voice above all the cacophonous bombast.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1280
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home