Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The heat is on (Midnight Rambler, Fort Collins 1975)
Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: September 30, 2008 17:25

<<I think it's a brave effort>>

Agree with that. I once tried to do the same as TD07 with the '69 US Tour, but got bored after just 3-4 shows.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: September 30, 2008 17:36

Sohoe
<<I think it's a brave effort>>

Agree with that. I once tried to do the same as TD07 with the '69 US Tour, but got bored after just 3-4 shows.

It does get quite repetitive. I had to take a break after the '72 and '73 Winter tour because those two tours had the same lineup and the setlist never varied very much. I was starting to get burned out so I took a break before starting on the '73 European tour.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 7, 2012 19:05

Check Tumblin_Dice_07's review of the whole tour! It's excellent! thumbs up

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 7, 2012 20:18

ryanpow
I actually like Billy Prestons weird Synthesizer sounds on Midnight Rambler from Ft Collins.

Did I say that? WTF

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-07 20:18 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 7, 2012 20:54

ryanpow
ryanpow
I actually like Billy Prestons weird Synthesizer sounds on Midnight Rambler from Ft Collins.

Did I say that? WTF

What the hell's wrong with you Ryan?

Posted by: marko ()
Date: April 7, 2012 21:00

Erik took words outta my mouth,Milwaukee,an animal performance,,its sort of and show,that you must really understant the attitude,its wild,also angst ridden.I also like kansas city a lot,best New York for me is june 25th or 23rd.
From La i think july 10th was the best,,,just because of heartbreaker.

Date: April 7, 2012 21:16

marko
Erik took words outta my mouth,Milwaukee,an animal performance,,its sort of and show,that you must really understant the attitude,its wild,also angst ridden.I also like kansas city a lot,best New York for me is june 25th or 23rd.
From La i think july 10th was the best,,,just because of heartbreaker.

He took words outta your mouth 4 years ago. That is an amazing ability Erik.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: April 7, 2012 21:23

Amazing the amount of info that is buried in the archives of this board. Excellent summary from 2008 by Tumblin_Dice_07.

So...I'll have to check out the Chicago Stadium show, evidently!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 7, 2012 21:39

Munichhilton
ryanpow
ryanpow

Did I say that? WTF

I listened to it again. The mix of the ft collins show somehow makes the synth part of MR sound pretty good. I don't like it on the LA show. It sounds fine on Outta Space, but on songs like MR and JJF not so much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-07 21:39 by ryanpow.

Date: April 7, 2012 21:48

ryanpow
Munichhilton
ryanpow
ryanpow

Did I say that? WTF

I listened to it again. The mix of the ft collins show somehow makes the synth part of MR sound pretty good. I don't like it on the LA show. It sounds fine on Outta Space, but on songs like MR and JJF not so much.

It is annoying on Brown Sugar too.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 7, 2012 22:11

"La i think july 10th was the best,,,just because of heartbreaker."

Honestly I don't understand this fetish thing about this "fabulous" version of HB.

It starts with a formless jam between Ron Mick and Billy that goes nowhere and spontaneously aborts after 40 seconds. THEN Keith (who by then was starting to lose patience?) crushes everyone with the opening chords of the song.
And the band goes to play the song in a pretty pedestrian way imo.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 7, 2012 22:36

dcba
"La i think july 10th was the best,,,just because of heartbreaker."

Honestly I don't understand this fetish thing about this "fabulous" version of HB.

It starts with a formless jam between Ron Mick and Billy that goes nowhere and spontaneously aborts after 40 seconds. THEN Keith (who by then was starting to lose patience?) crushes everyone with the opening chords of the song.
And the band goes to play the song in a pretty pedestrian way imo.

I love this version. But the reason for the "jam" seems to be that Keith had to change guitars or something, so I'm guessing he's not "losing patience" but simply is finally ready to do them intro-chords

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 8, 2012 00:18

Tumblin_Dice_07
Silver Dagger
I always felt the same way about that tour. Can you point me in the right direction regarding the tour's high points please.

I've asked this same question about various era's of Stones history. The problem with this is that you get lots of opinions on it. Many will mention the same recordings but many people will point you in the direction of "their favorite shows" simply because they have good sound quality or they only own 5 recordings from a particular tour and are not really qualified to educate people on the "high points" because they don't really know all the high points themselves.

I don't have every '75 recording but here's what I do have......

1975 Tour Of The Americas
Baton Rouge, L.S.U. Assembly Center 6/1/75 1st show
Baton Rouge, L.S.U. Assembly Center 6/1/75 2nd show

Both Baton Rouge shows are available as good audience recordings and the first one is definately worth tracking down. Very interesting setlist.

Kansas City, Arrowhead Stadium 6/6/75 - a very good performance. The recording starts out pretty muddy but clears up quite a bit as the show progresses.

Boston Gardens 6/11/75 - good audience recording, excellent performance.

Boston Gardens 6/12/75- not as good as the previous night.

Buffalo Memorial Auditorium 6/15/75- I have a couple different versions of the Buffalo 6/15 soundboard. It's incomplete, featuring only about the first half or 2/3rd's of the show, but it's a very good performance and a must have from this tour.

Toronto Maple Leaf Gardens 6/17/75- another must have in my opinion. Excellent performance and a very good audience recording. This one is very popular.

New York, Madison Square Garden 6/22/75- this is the one where Clapton guests on the encore of "Sympathy For The Devil". It's a very good, clear audience recording and although I wouldn't call it a GREAT performance, it's among my favorites.

New York, Madison Square Garden 6/23/75
New York, Madison Square Garden 6/24/75
New York, Madison Square Garden 6/25/75 - these three New York shows are all available in good to very good audience recordings. The performances are pretty uneven at times. Some are better than others but if you get one recording from the '75 stand at the Garden, it should be the last night (6/27/75).

New York, Madison Square Garden 6/27/75 - this is another VERY popular recording. It's a very clear audience recording. The best sounding version is sourced from vinyl. It's the best of the New York shows, and most people will tell you it's among the best of the tour, although I think it might be just a bit overrated, it's still great.

Largo, Capitol Center 7/2/75- decent sound, can't remember much about the performace.

Los Angelos Forum 7/9/75- good audience recording, a smoking hot bitch of a performance. Highly recommended.

Los Angelos Forum 7/10/75- good audience recording, but this one sort of gets lost in the shuffle of the '75 L.A. shows.

Los Angelos Forum 7/11/75- this one is available as a soundboard, sorta. It's sourced from the video that's circulating from this night, but beware. It's one of the worst performances of the tour. And the audio mix on the video is quite strange as well.

Los Angelos Forum 7/11/75 ("The Lost Milliard Masters")
Los Angelos Forum 7/12/75 ("The Lost Milliard Masters")
Los Angelos Forum 7/13/75 ("The Lost Milliard Masters")- I think "The Lost Milliard Masters" set is well worth getting. They are excellent sounding audience recordings. The 7/11 show is a strange, very erratic performance with excellent sound. The 7/12 show is a very good performance but only about 1/3rd of the show is available from the excellent Milliard source. The rest of it comes from another source. And the 7/13 show, a very popular show amongst fans, is a real rocker. Great sound and rocking performance. A must have.

San Francisco, Cow Palace 7/15/75
San Francisco, Cow Palace 7/16/75- both S.F. shows are available as good to very good audience recordings. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Mike Milliard taped the 7/16 show and the sound of this recording is indeed comparable to the sound of his L.A. Forum recordings. I remember the 7/15 show being a good performance and the 7/16 show being somewhat sloppy and lackluster. But it's been a long time since I've heard either show so my memory may be inaccurate. Either way, I wouldn't point to either of these shows as highlights of the tour.

Seattle Center Coliseum 7/18/75- this one is definately a highlight. One of the best performances and a very good recording also. Highly recommended.

Ft. Collins, Hughes Stadium 7/20/75- This one is another great performance. The recording quality is very good, but the intro's of the songs and Jagger's between song chatter is cut out which can get annoying. But the performance is great. Recommended.

Chicago Stadium 7/24/75- Maybe the most rocking show that I've heard from this tour. Sound quality is good to very good audience, but the band are absolutely on fire here.

Detroit, Cobo Hall 7/28/75- this is another (incomplete) '75 soundboard but there's nothing special about the performance.

Atlanta, The Omni 7/30/75- just got this one a couple of weeks ago and haven't had a chance to listen much. It's not a very good recording, although the version I have is supposed to be a big upgrade over the versions that were previously circulating. Supposed to be a great performance though.

Jacksonville, Gator Bowl 8/2/75- a good to very good audience recording and a great performance. Great version of "Wild Horses" here. Recommended.

Louisville, Freedom Hall Coliseum 8/4/75- hot performance, fairly poor sound.

Hampton Coliseum 8/6/75- haven't got to listen to this all the way through but the sound is only decent.

Buffalo, Rich Stadium 8/8/75- haven't got to listen to this one all the way through yet either but it's a very good audience recording. It has a reputation as a fairly sloppy performance though.

There are a few shows that I don't have which are highly recommended by a friend whose expertise on the '75 tour is highly respected, and these include .........

Milwaukee 6/8/75
Philadelphia 6/29/75
Philadelphia 6/30/75
Memphis 7/4/75

In short, I think Boston 6/11/75, Buffalo 6/15/75, Toronto 6/17/75, New York 6/27/75, Los Angelos 7/9/75, Los Angelos 7/13/75, Seattle 7/18/75, Ft. Collins 7/20/75, Chicago 7/24/75, and Jacksonville 8/2/75 are all excellent performance and you can't go wrong with any of them.

Hope this helps.

Damn Tumblin_Dice_07 you are da man! Thank you very much for this thoughtful and awesome anaylsis. I love it! Well worth quoting again here. peace

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: April 8, 2012 22:16

I only vaguely remember posting that. I was alot more "into" Stones bootlegs in those days. Now I only go for the better sounding recordings.

Anyway, there are others on here who could tell you alot more about the '75 tour than myself (Erik Snow for example, among others). But I appreciate all the appreciation nonetheless!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1520
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home