Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

BOOKER T. and The MG's to tour Holland !
Date: September 23, 2008 18:58

Today was announced that the rocking legends of Stax Soul and Rhythm n Blues will come over to Europe to play 3 exclusive shows in Holland.

It will be the whole orinigal line-up (except the murdered drummer) with guitar legend Steve Cropper, Booker T Jones and Bass player Duck Dunn!!!

Big news for me!

Re: BOOKER T. and The MG's to tour Holland !
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 23, 2008 21:03

i wish i was there for some green onions

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: September 23, 2008 21:10

Posted by: SimonV ()
Date: September 23, 2008 21:10

Where and when?

Simon
myspace.com/koningsimon

Posted by: Rockingbrilliant ()
Date: September 23, 2008 21:34

here it is:

19 March 2009 - Melkweg - Amsterdam
20 March 2009 - Effenaar - Eindhoven
21 March 2009 - Paard van Troje - The Hague

Tickets on sale next saturday at 10 AM on www.ticketmaster.nl

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 23, 2008 22:34

Steve Cropper just released an album he did in collaboration with Felix Cavaliere (of the Rascals) on the revived Stax label.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: September 24, 2008 01:12

Those would be fun gigs. If you can't make it, there is always the beloved dvd
Stax/Volt Revue Norway 1967. This is easily one the best music dvds on the market and floors me every time I watch. It doesn't get much better than that.

Date: September 24, 2008 01:22

I just saw this show..

I posted a few pix and a video on my blog

www.47west63rd.blogspot.com

I enjoyed the show but they didn't set it on fire or nothing.. they kind of seemed very nostalgic.. dunn kept talking about how blessed he was to play with these guys and seemed to almost tear up...

cool show no doubt but i have a feeling it was very different 30 years ago...

all astounding musicians of course... i was front row center (small club) right in front of cropper (on my right) and dunny (on my left)

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: September 24, 2008 01:30

Of course, these guys must really miss Al Jackson. He was one the best IMHO and with the way he laid down that tempo the band just jumped on for the ride and let it roll.

Date: October 13, 2008 12:37

Yeah really looking forward to these historic shows!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 13, 2008 17:41

booker plays very often around these parts, usually with his other band - always fun to catch him....first-class musician and gentleman all the way....saw him most recently at our fave local nightclub - my wife and i were the only ones there for the early dinner seating and booker and his band played a nice little mini-set/soundcheck just for us...

Date: October 13, 2008 18:14

T&A
booker plays very often around these parts, usually with his other band - always fun to catch him....first-class musician and gentleman all the way....saw him most recently at our fave local nightclub - my wife and i were the only ones there for the early dinner seating and booker and his band played a nice little mini-set/soundcheck just for us...

Sounds great! But now with the MG's he plays with the legendary Steve Cropper and Duck Dunn! I'm a huge fan of Cropper.. smiling smiley

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 13, 2008 18:18

rollingandrocking
T&A

Sounds great! But now with the MG's he plays with the legendary Steve Cropper and Duck Dunn! I'm a huge fan of Cropper.. smiling smiley

yup - me too - you should pick up the colonel's new studio album, with Felix Cavaliere collaborating - fab stuff.

booker's other band is equally impressive, to be honest. first-rate musicians, all....

Posted by: wineaux ()
Date: October 14, 2008 06:37

I just heard earlier tonight that they'll also be playing with Mavis Staples at the Harris Theatre in Chicago on November 1st....

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: October 14, 2008 18:11

Booker T and the MG's? they are responsible for a very weak Neil Young album, you know?

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 15, 2008 05:02

Amused
Booker T and the MG's? they are responsible for a very weak Neil Young album, you know?

I think Neil would be responsible for a very weak Neil Young album.

That seemed like an odd musical match-up.

I like Neil, but to me he really always seemed as un-funky as a guy can get.

Steve's album with Felix was a let-down the first time I played it. I love both of those guys and was really hoping it would live up to their legends. Maybe I'll give it another spin and see if it sounds better with lowered expectations.

I saw Booker T and the MGs at the Roxy in '77. It was their first tour after the death of Al Jackson. Willie Hall, who previously played with Issac Hayes, was on the drums.

Three years later I met Steve Cropper. He was very cool, and I got a little emotional telling him how much his music meant to me.

Now I tell my sons that I shook the hand that shook the hand of Otis Redding.

Posted by: Rockingbrilliant ()
Date: October 18, 2008 19:48

Amused

Nonsense, they are individually better intrumentalists than Neil I believe!

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: October 18, 2008 21:43

I will go to Eindhoven concert !

Gerhard from Düsseldorf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-18 21:44 by satisfaction2.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: October 18, 2008 21:53

Rockingbrilliant
Amused

Nonsense, they are individually better intrumentalists than Neil I believe!

to each his own, I enjoy NY music very much and think of "AYP?" as his least interesting record since 80s. never got into soul too much, but I gotta admit that Stones playing "Can't Turn You Loose" are perfect ;-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1150
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home