Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT RnR HoF nominees
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 23, 2008 00:40

[www.cnn.com]

Womack..finally

Re: OT RnR HoF nominees
Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: September 23, 2008 00:44

Damn, still no Leon Russell. That sucks. I mean, congratulations Chic.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: September 23, 2008 04:48

....and congrats Metallica

Posted by: ERC6761 ()
Date: September 23, 2008 05:02

anyone out there that really cares, surely having a "hall of fame" defeats the whole idea behind rock n roll.

the whole back slappping, self-pulling nature of the event is a load of tosh. Any self respecting band/artist should keeop a wide berth..........

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 23, 2008 05:33

whats with kiss never getting in? does someone have it in for them, or do they just hate gene simmons

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 23, 2008 06:42

Lukester
....and congrats Metallica

I agree and Fuk Run DMC. Just because you remade a crappy Aerosmith song doesn't make you HOF worth. Where is the Coop?

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: September 23, 2008 09:26

I have mixed feelings about the Stooges. They made Funhouse, the greatest piece of knuckle-dragging free form skronk ever, and deserve to be in on the basis of that alone. Add the first album and Raw Power, as well as their awesome recent reunion shows, into the equation, and you've got an even stronger case.

But we're talking about the Stooges, one of the most notoriously druggy collections of juvenile delinquents ever to get a major label deal. The Stooges of forty years ago might get stopped by security at the gates of the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame and denied admittance just to be in the place, let alone be inducted in it. Even though they're one of the greatest rock bands ever, being inducted seems in so many respects just perverse.

What would Dave Alexander, their deceased original bassist, have to say about this?

Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: September 23, 2008 10:29

It's turned into utter commercial nonsense.

They lost me by never inducting the New York Dolls, the Faces and Roxy Music...certainly three of the most influential bands in history.

Date: September 23, 2008 10:36

still can't believe how many of you buy into this rubbish

Date: September 23, 2008 10:45

AGREED!

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: September 23, 2008 10:50

Nuthin wrong with Run DMC but it sure as hell aint no rockinrowl.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 23, 2008 14:26

baxlap
I have mixed feelings about the Stooges. They made Funhouse, the greatest piece of knuckle-dragging free form skronk ever, and deserve to be in on the basis of that alone. Add the first album and Raw Power, as well as their awesome recent reunion shows, into the equation, and you've got an even stronger case.

But we're talking about the Stooges, one of the most notoriously druggy collections of juvenile delinquents ever to get a major label deal. The Stooges of forty years ago might get stopped by security at the gates of the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame and denied admittance just to be in the place, let alone be inducted in it. Even though they're one of the greatest rock bands ever, being inducted seems in so many respects just perverse.

What would Dave Alexander, their deceased original bassist, have to say about this?

If he was able to say anything right now, I'd imagine it would be more likely to be along the lines of "Help - let me out!"

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: September 23, 2008 14:31

The UK HOF died, Channel 4 gave up on it.

I don't need ho HOF to tell me whats great, my ears and my heart know.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 23, 2008 17:09

Maybe 20-25 truly deserve to be in there - but they're starting to reach now.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: September 23, 2008 17:17

stupid idea. stupid back slapping corporate shite

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 23, 2008 17:20

ERC6761 ,what do you mean by a whole load of tosh?

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: September 23, 2008 19:13

rap is NOT Rock and Roll.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 24, 2008 15:47

Elmo Lewis
Maybe 20-25 truly deserve to be in there - but they're starting to reach now.

The problem is they're reaching PAST the artists who should be in there and who keep being overlooked year after year, and are instead are looking to induct artists who either have just reached the elegibility requirement, to keep things "fresh", or who they perceive as being "influential" regardless of whether or not they produced a significant volume of truly great music.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-25 15:52 by tatters.

Date: September 24, 2008 20:29

ROCk N ROLL HALL OF FAME (no soul, no reggae, no pop, no hip hop, no country, no R&B, no doo wop - they don't let basketball players into the baseball hall of fame just because they're both sports. You must be rock and roll to be in my hall of fame. Believe me, I have other HOFs for the other genres.)

Chuck Berry
Bo Diddley
Elvis
Little Richard
Fats Domino
Gene Vincent
Rolling Stones
The Band
Jimi Hendrix Experience
Creedence
The Doors
Led Zeppelin
The Allman Brothers Band
The Faces
Stooges
Patti Smith Group
The Replacements

As far as I'm concerned, that's it.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 24, 2008 22:54

No Moody Blues, no Chicago, no Deep Purple. The committee must be made of pre schoolers.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: September 24, 2008 22:57

I quit paying attention when Grandmaster Flash were inducted.

What a joke.

It's no longer a Hall of Fame in my opinion, just a museum of popular people who sold enough records to be noticed.

Too late now, but they really should've changed the elegibility requirements. Like at the end of each decade, open up another decade for inclusion. 1983 is just too darned recent for me to have been historically judged as deserving of such an honor.

Date: September 25, 2008 06:44

The Greek
ERC6761 ,what do you mean by a whole load of tosh?

err do i really have to explain

Date: September 25, 2008 08:12

...And no J. Geils Band? Sheesh.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 25, 2008 13:01

Here's a list I can mostly agree with:

[music.ign.com]

Posted by: Goldsmith ()
Date: September 25, 2008 16:56

Moreso than anyone else The Replacements deserve this recognition but looking at what a laugher the HOF has become I hope they keep getting overlooked.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 25, 2008 17:31

The Ghost Of Good taste
ROCk N ROLL HALL OF FAME (no soul, no reggae, no pop, no hip hop, no country, no R&B, no doo wop - they don't let basketball players into the baseball hall of fame just because they're both sports. You must be rock and roll to be in my hall of fame. Believe me, I have other HOFs for the other genres.)

Chuck Berry
Bo Diddley
Elvis
Little Richard
Fats Domino
Gene Vincent
Rolling Stones
The Band
Jimi Hendrix Experience
Creedence
The Doors
Led Zeppelin
The Allman Brothers Band
The Faces
Stooges
Patti Smith Group
The Replacements

As far as I'm concerned, that's it.

you forgot Jerry Lee Lewis and Buddy Holly

Posted by: McCartney ()
Date: September 25, 2008 17:54

This, the academy awards, ect is all such nonsense. I do like the fact that they have a building that holds important and valuable artifacts that pertain to the history of this genre, but a bunch of people deciding who is a better band or musician is ludicrous! We all probably have a favorite artist or band who will never even be considered for this 'honor'. For myself that would be Steve Forbert, David Johansen and Paul Westerberg to name just 3.

Date: September 25, 2008 19:41

Adrian-L
you forgot Jerry Lee Lewis and Buddy Holly

I did, you're totally right - they both should be in there. I also forgot The Who and The Ramones, both of whom I would add. I'm not a Buddy Holly fan (nor am I a huge fan of Hendrix or Vincent), but he definitely deserves his spot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1809
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home