Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 12
Re: AC/DC Ticket Sales
Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: September 30, 2008 01:00

skipstone
Seems Frank has left the building. Whatever happened to glimmertwin81? He was just as funny as Frank. And made about the same amount of sense.

Well Skip what exactly is so funny about my statement that The Kinks are more respected in the music world than AC/DC?

No doubt I will be outnumbered here since it is a thread about AC/DC and all the AC/DC fanatics will be in here but it doesn't change the fact that AC/DC is a poop band. Got it Skippy?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-30 01:47 by FrankM.

Date: September 30, 2008 01:04

DGA35
While watching football all day, I heard Rock'n'Roll Train being played in Montreal during the CFL game! First time I've heard it played at a sporting event. Heard Back In Black, Hells Bells, You Shook Me and Those About To Rock being played at a few different games as I channel surfed amongst the NFL games today.
I don't think there's any other band that gets played more at sporting events (at least in North America) than AC/DC. Tune in to any NHL game or NFL/CFL game and you're bound to hear at least one AC/DC tune played.

Yeah and the songs you mentioned above are the only AC/DC songs that have really permeated American pop culture unlike The Stones, Beatles and other bands that have dozens of songs that are a part of pop culture.

You must not watch too many sporting events. Start Me Up and We Are The Champions have gotten far more time over the years than all of the AC/DC songs mentioned above combined.

Date: September 30, 2008 01:07

andy js
the old tarts can claim what they like. AC/DC are, and always will be (in the eyes of the world) a much bigger band (in terms of popularity, sales, recognisability and just about everything else) than the Kinks. its not even up for debate

if you can't grasp that you really don't live in the real world, and probably think AC/DC are a heavy metal band or something equally daft

its debatable what bands are actually bigger than AC/DC full stop. apart from a select few nostalgia acts

saying that people should 'outgrow' AC/DC is pretty much like me saying you should outgrow grandad-rock and get back in the garden where you belong

face it. the world turns even if you do stand still

Again there is a difference between bigger and better. You seem to be unable to grasp this concept. Perhaps some ginkgo biloba will help you.

AC/DC is a nostaglia act. Besides their die hard fans nobody even knows they still make music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-30 01:08 by FrankM.

Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: September 30, 2008 01:33

I couldn't get a ticket it sold out 4 minutes flat! I'm not worried as I don't think my hears could handle all that loud music for 2 hours?

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 30, 2008 01:37

Hi FrankM. I hear Start Me Up on occasions but Queen? The only time you'll hear We Are The Champions is at the end of the playoffs.
As far as "pop culture", I didn't mention anything about that. I just said that when you tune into any NFL, NHL, etc. game, chances are you'll always hear an AC/DC song. Sometimes you'll hear Stones, like Satisfaction in the Cowboys game Sunday.
As far as not watching too many sporting events, (being Canadian), I watch as much NHL as possible which will literally be 7 days a week in the winter and Sundays are reserved for NFL. With Satellite, get both West Coast and East Coast tv feeds so there's probably half a dozen different games to choose from as well as the Sunday night NBC and Monday night ESPN. Don't watch as much NBA as I used to and as far as baseball goes, might catch the occasional Cubs game on WGN, although I will be following them in the playoffs. Don't follow soccer and I don't follow US College football.
In regards to AC/DC being a 'nostalgia act', any band that's been around for over 30 years can be considered this. However, their new album will debut at #1 in the US and this upcoming tour will be the biggest for 08-09 so I'm sure more than just their die hard fans will know about them!

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: September 30, 2008 02:23

Franks on his time of the month again. Leave him be

Let him rust along with his Doobie Brothers collection

Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: September 30, 2008 04:26

I've always loved this place because of your talents with stadistics , years , sell numbers , everything .
this place could be voted as the best one to make a discussion about music.
more people knows AC/DC is still making music and it's a rocknroll act while less even know who are the Kinks and if they're still making music or being a rocknroll act or the way you all call it now ( nostalgic act).
The Stones , The Who , or DC don't play to get you "nostalgic" or to grandpas only with a little volume , rocknroll was made to blow you away , not to see if some get nostalgic or if some don't like loud volume live or can't handle it for 2 hours!

Date: September 30, 2008 05:43

my 20 year old cousin in argentina had heard ac dc's ballbreaker (1995) album.

i think younger people are listening to ac dc a lot more than the stones.. and the kinks??? no young people listen to them

ac dc is the most relevant long in the tooth rock and roll band out there.. they are outselling everyone else..and its kids driving it... i mean why is back in black number one on the catalog lp chart? its not because i'm buying another copy!

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: September 30, 2008 05:48

FrankM
DGA35
While watching football all day, I heard Rock'n'Roll Train being played in Montreal during the CFL game! First time I've heard it played at a sporting event. Heard Back In Black, Hells Bells, You Shook Me and Those About To Rock being played at a few different games as I channel surfed amongst the NFL games today.
I don't think there's any other band that gets played more at sporting events (at least in North America) than AC/DC. Tune in to any NHL game or NFL/CFL game and you're bound to hear at least one AC/DC tune played.

Yeah and the songs you mentioned above are the only AC/DC songs that have really permeated American pop culture unlike The Stones, Beatles and other bands that have dozens of songs that are a part of pop culture.

You must not watch too many sporting events. Start Me Up and We Are The Champions have gotten far more time over the years than all of the AC/DC songs mentioned above combined.

Start Me Up is definitely numero uno at sporting events.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-30 05:53 by No Expectations.

Date: September 30, 2008 05:51

mexicostone
I've always loved this place because of your talents with stadistics , years , sell numbers , everything .
this place could be voted as the best one to make a discussion about music.
more people knows AC/DC is still making music and it's a rocknroll act while less even know who are the Kinks and if they're still making music or being a rocknroll act or the way you all call it now ( nostalgic act).
The Stones , The Who , or DC don't play to get you "nostalgic" or to grandpas only with a little volume , rocknroll was made to blow you away , not to see if some get nostalgic or if some don't like loud volume live or can't handle it for 2 hours!

Hey, lets not pick on us Grandpas....

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 30, 2008 12:31

If it wasn't for Van Halen, I think a considerable amount less of people would know of The Kinks.

But you see Frank, AC/DC - they're HUGE. Because they're GOOD. Actually, they're great. There is a reason some bands sell a lot of records and do well on tours - it's because a lot of people like them. You'll notice some garbage like Hootie may have sold 14 million copies of their first album, but about 13.5 million of those people realised they had made a bad choice.

Because they were swayed by radio and what was popular, for some reason, at that moment.

AC/DC have been around for a good while. Obviously you can't name more than 2 songs but a whole hell of a lot of people on the planet can. So go play your Kinks records - they are good. I don't think anyone is saying The Kinks suck, just that they aren't as big, which pretty much relates to, on one level, what good is. Because AC/DC are consistent. Like Zep and Pink Floyd and The Beatles and Frank Sinatra and for about 7 albums the Stones. With the exception that AC/DC are still touring and if you don't believe it here just Google it, Frank - their tour is selling out. Do you think that means anything at all? I don't know what music world you're talking about because AC/DC is highly respected. The Kinks haven't done anything for eons. They might be respected but it's stuck where they stopped. AC/DC is a train that keeps rollin'.

Got it there Frankie?

Re: AC/DC Ticket Sales * NEW DATES ADDED *
Date: September 30, 2008 20:49

Dec 20, 2008 Ft. Lauderdale FL US Bank Atlantic Center
Dec 21, 2008 Tampa FL US St. Pete Times Forum
Jan 05, 2009 Cleveland OH US Quicken Loans Arena
Jan 07, 2009 Pittsburgh PA US Mellon Arena
Jan 09, 2009 Toronto ON CA Rogers Centre
Jan 11, 2009 Cincinnati OH US U.S. Bank Arena
Jan 13, 2009 St. Louis MO US Scottrade Center
Jan 15, 2009 Omaha NE US Qwest Center Omaha
Jan 17, 2009 Fargo ND US Fargodome
Jan 19, 2009 Minneapolis MN US Xcel Energy Center
Jan 21, 2009 Kansas City MO US Sprint Center
Jan 23, 2009 Dallas TX US American Airlines Center
Jan 26, 2009 Tulsa OK US BOK Center
Jan 28, 2009 Little Rock AR US ALLTELL Arena
Jan 30, 2009 Memphis TN US FedEx Forum
Jan 31, 2009 Nashville TN US Sommet Center

Posted by: terry ()
Date: September 30, 2008 21:45

I think i add fuel to the fire, i cant even name 1 song by AC/DC.
they are not my cup of tea, but if you like erm then good.
The thing is with music its not a compition,i dont give a monkeys toss
what artist sells more than another.Its what rock ya boat.
i saw AC/DC at twicks supporting the stones, i got bored so i had a wander
around,I thought most of there songs sound the same. i wouldnt cross the road to see them play, but i would the kinks.

Date: September 30, 2008 22:09

terry
i saw AC/DC at twicks supporting the stones

I very much doubt you did mate

Another talker out of thee arse!

Date: September 30, 2008 22:27

Another Toronto show at Rogers Center (Skydome). I'm sure this one will sell out fast, too. I'm hoping another Vancouver show gets announced eventually.
I personally have no problems with people on this thread that aren't AC/DC fans. We're all entitled to our own opinions! We can pretty much talk about any band and we'll have people disliking them.

Re: OT: AC/DC Ticket Sales * NEW DATES ADDED *
Date: September 30, 2008 22:40

True, But we can't make up stories that we saw em when we didn't!

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: September 30, 2008 22:59

why is this "andy js" person still around?

Date: September 30, 2008 23:44

This is THE THING today for me!!!!!
Let's stop discussing about rocknroll bands , rocknroll was made to get people united , let's rock people!!
ACDC's gonna rock the USA with Big Balls!

Date: October 1, 2008 00:30

Did AC/DC open for the Stones at "Twicks"? I thought it was a couple outdoor shows in Germany as well as the SARS show in Toronto.

Date: October 1, 2008 01:57

No they didn't. Which makes "Terry" a berk in my book

nothing more nothing less. another one of the old fart brigade trying to slate the worlds last active rock n roll band

Date: October 1, 2008 01:58

aslecs
why is this "andy js" person still around?

because i speak the truth perhaps ? and this is an AC/DC thread which is 100% my interest

i'm not sure who you are, but you seem to have a bee in your bonnet about something

what is it ?

Date: October 1, 2008 02:29

terry
I think i add fuel to the fire, i cant even name 1 song by AC/DC.
they are not my cup of tea, but if you like erm then good.
The thing is with music its not a compition,i dont give a monkeys toss
what artist sells more than another.Its what rock ya boat.
i saw AC/DC at twicks supporting the stones, i got bored so i had a wander
around,I thought most of there songs sound the same. i wouldnt cross the road to see them play, but i would the kinks.

While I do know some of their songs, I also have no interest in seeing them either but if the Kinks were to play again (may never happen due to Dave's stroke) I would be running to score tix.

Date: October 1, 2008 02:33

i doubt you'd need to run mate ...

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: October 1, 2008 02:48

hey matey. what's up matey.duhhhhhhhhhhhh

just GO AWAY "andy js"

u now nada.

Frank M is the man.

Got it "MATEY"

Got to "the loo" now
HAHAHA
Got any other british slang for us matey

Date: October 1, 2008 02:53

skipstone
If it wasn't for Van Halen, I think a considerable amount less of people would know of The Kinks.

But you see Frank, AC/DC - they're HUGE. Because they're GOOD. Actually, they're great. There is a reason some bands sell a lot of records and do well on tours - it's because a lot of people like them. You'll notice some garbage like Hootie may have sold 14 million copies of their first album, but about 13.5 million of those people realised they had made a bad choice.

Because they were swayed by radio and what was popular, for some reason, at that moment.

AC/DC have been around for a good while. Obviously you can't name more than 2 songs but a whole hell of a lot of people on the planet can. So go play your Kinks records - they are good. I don't think anyone is saying The Kinks suck, just that they aren't as big, which pretty much relates to, on one level, what good is. Because AC/DC are consistent. Like Zep and Pink Floyd and The Beatles and Frank Sinatra and for about 7 albums the Stones. With the exception that AC/DC are still touring and if you don't believe it here just Google it, Frank - their tour is selling out. Do you think that means anything at all? I don't know what music world you're talking about because AC/DC is highly respected. The Kinks haven't done anything for eons. They might be respected but it's stuck where they stopped. AC/DC is a train that keeps rollin'.

Got it there Frankie?

That's exactly what i should have said.!!
congrats!

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: October 1, 2008 02:54

aslecs

just GO AWAY "andy js"

u now nada.

Frank M is the man.

Got it "MATEY"

Got to "the loo" now
HAHAHA

had a bit too much to drink tonight aslecs?

Date: October 1, 2008 03:00

aslecs

just GO AWAY "andy js"

u now nada.

Frank M is the man.
Got to "the loo" now
HAHAHA
Got it "MATEY"

Is Frank M the man??
what did he do for IORR , rocknroll or The Kinks??
is he the old farts republic liberator or something??

If the real banda came here to IORR , your heroe Frankie would have been shut up instead of trying to stop the real rocknroll!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-01 03:02 by mexicostone.

Date: October 1, 2008 03:28

andy js
i doubt you'd need to run mate ...

It was a figure of speech not meant to be taken literally but if you think demand would be slow for a Kinks tour I would humbly have to differ with your estimation of Kinks interest. Mexicostones youthful exuberance is quite understandable as he is still in High School, your constant antagonism of anyone with a differing opinion than yours is more likely just a lack of maturity or a chance to grab some attention and try and feel important (or both) unless of course you are 16 as well.

Date: October 1, 2008 03:34

... or i'm just being honest ?

don't take the piss out of me just because AC/DC are massive

if they weren't. the Stones wouldn't have begged em and paid em $1m per show in 2003 to help shift tickets

don't forget AC/DC could easily headline those German fields themselves (and have!)

and i like Aslecs. shes amusing

Date: October 1, 2008 03:37

who are these people who dont' know an ac dc song?? i mean do you live in a cave and never watch tv or listen to radio or go out to bars or sporting events??

its hard here in the United States to go to a bar and not hear an ac dc song! any sporting event you hear acdc songs.. heck my basebal the team the washington nationals take the field at home every home game to the sound of THUNDERSTRUCK... the new york knicks use safe in new york city from what i hear...

i mean you really have to live under a rock not to know ac dc and if you don't its probably that you are hearing them but just aren't paying attention...

i mean who hasn't heard "highway to hell" or "back in black" or " you shook me all night long"???? there was even a stephen king movie whose entire soundtrack was ac dc songs!

espn has been using the new ac dc song rocknroll train as they play football clips...

it really is hard to believe these people who frequent a stones board and don't know anything about ac dc..

by the way ac dc and the stones come from the same music: chuck berry

so i think the naysayers ought to chill it a bit..

i'll report back from the tour opener in wilkes barre pennsylvania october 28th.. second row center baby!

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1319
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home