Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Poster Restoration?
Posted by: StonesBlake ()
Date: September 19, 2008 21:09

I have a '69 tour poster with a scratch about an inch long across it. It was actually scratched by the art gallery framing it. They are offering to take it to a restorer for me (they're paying). My question to those smarter than I, should I get the poster restored? Or is better to leave it as is? I know sometimes restoring an item devalues it. Thanks guys!

Re: Poster Restoration?
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 19, 2008 21:45

Its the quality of the restoration that determines the final value of damaged goods. Once damaged, the item is instantly worth less than before. The restoration job with final value in mind would attempt to hide damage from an appraiser, or an appraisal of the item. If it is an item you would never part with then the restoration would merely have to please your eyes. When I used to 'touch up' items for auction it was always with paints and fine inks that could readily be seen by an appraiser but not by many collectors. These items would still sell as mint-/vg+ condition because they were known damaged goods.

I guess I would ask the restorer what methods he or she has in mind for your item and if it makes you uncomfortable refuse. It gets worse and worse to fix restorations with touch ups if you're unhappy.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: September 20, 2008 02:25

StonesBlake
I have a '69 tour poster with a scratch about an inch long across it. It was actually scratched by the art gallery framing it. They are offering to take it to a restorer for me (they're paying). My question to those smarter than I, should I get the poster restored? Or is better to leave it as is? I know sometimes restoring an item devalues it. Thanks guys!

Which 69 poster is it. If its just the common tour blank, easier just to buy a better copy. There are literally hundreds on ebay at any give time. Cheap, too.

JR

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: September 20, 2008 07:08

It totally depends on which poster it is and what the condition is like overall. (as JR says the 69 Tour blank is able to be bought for very little - much cheaper than any restoration work). If you post a picture of it and we can give you a considered opinion.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: September 20, 2008 17:40

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: September 20, 2008 20:08

How do you know on ebay that is an original poster??

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: September 20, 2008 20:38

Ricky,

They are. These haven't been reprinted. If you look at some of the 69 backstage photos you can see piles of them everywhere. There was a stash of 2,000 plus of these cracked open about 8 years ago and they are still drying up. It will probably take a few more years yet.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: September 20, 2008 20:52

Thanks for the info

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2034
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home