Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Dylan and Mick Taylor - 1984 Tour
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: September 15, 2008 13:53

All Along The Watchtower

footage of MT starts at around 2.20 with blistering solo.

play that guitar boy

Re: Dylan and Mick Taylor - 1984 Tour
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 15, 2008 13:58

Work done with the Stones apart, this tour is one of the highest points of MT's career. Truly some great guitarplaying!

C

Date: September 15, 2008 14:03

Yes

I and I - Taylor at 5.20 - magic

play that guitar boy

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: September 15, 2008 19:16

Pleasure to see Dylan on guitar again.You could almost mistake for Keith with those moves.

And he's doing a bit of 'weaving' with MT in places!

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: September 15, 2008 19:44

Thanks once again OpenG.....good stuff, good stuff

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: September 15, 2008 20:29

This is Dylan fronting a British RnR band (which did not sit well with the Bobcats). I think a number of Bob's guitar intros during this tour are Stones-Keith-like. This tour was a treasure trove of guitar playing for Taylor fans. There's some misses in there, but many more exquisite and searing moments. There is a video from Wembley when EC does a walk on. EC and MT on stage together! What are they going to play? Don't worry. They're pros! Also on stage at that time was Van and a deliriously happy Chrisse Hynde. That tour also gave you an opportunity to compare and contrast MT's playing and tone with the ever popular Carlos Santana. MT speaks proudly of his association with Bob in '83-'84.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 15, 2008 20:38

good straight ahead rock and roll tour, no doubt. but, ol' bobby was mailin' it in on that tour and the next one, too.

....that's for you, gazza ;-)

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: September 15, 2008 20:48

Love this tour as well. Bob gives his songs a little rock n roll make over..

Also shows that Taylor is at his best when playing solos over other's people songs rather than trying to write his own.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 16, 2008 00:57

That tour also showed that Taylor isnt really a bandleader. Played some great solos though.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: September 16, 2008 02:51

...wonderful stuff.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: September 16, 2008 02:54

Gazza
That tour also showed that Taylor isnt really a bandleader. Played some great solos though.

Be fair!

He was given just two weeks to get a band together AND rehearse them! The boy did wonders.

...and he sounded a lot better than Carlos Santana.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 2, 2011 19:56

I was listening to some songs from this tour the other day and I love Taylor's tone on songs like Masters of War, I and I, and All Along the Watchtower (only available on bootlegs).

I was wondering if anybody knows what kind of effects he was using? Sounds like some heavy reverb and maybe the neck pickup. I can't tell if he's got some subtle modulation effect too. Anybody have any ideas?

Date: May 2, 2011 20:26

In Dylans book behind the shades by clinton heylin - MT did not want to be the band leader and dylan fired him one day on tour but rehired him the next day. He had no choice.

play the guitar boy

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 2, 2011 20:39

From the few cuts I've heard from this tour it's unfortunate because it's Taylor who sounds good, and Dylan is sliding into his lost years.

Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: May 2, 2011 20:41

There's some good stuff about Dylan and Taylor in Ian McLagan's book "All The Rage". Especially the bit where Mac and Taylor get Dylan drunk and tell him what songs to put in the setlist the following night.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1399
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home