Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
A Bigger Bang.... A new apprecitation...
Posted by: riffhard72 ()
Date: September 11, 2008 14:44

Having not listend to A Bigger Bang for a couple of years, I was in a bar in Prague (Chapeau Rouge) at the weekend and they were playing the whole album.

You know, it sounded so good to hear again. Especially in a busy, buzzing bar late at night. Such a great groove throughout the albbum - made me feel warm and fuzzy about listening to the Stones again!

Got it cranked right now - only one duff track as far as I can see and that's Streets of Love.

Thoughts...???

Re: A Bigger Bang.... A new apprecitation...
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 11, 2008 15:03

it sounds great to me too every time i put it on. the whole thing kicks off so fine,
and She Saw Me Coming always gives me this huge grin that won't go away
and This Place Is Empty is like an ingenious little wood carving with all these enchanting moving parts
and Dangerous Beauty roars so beautifully and ... and so on :E
my neighbours dig it too - play it loud

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-11 15:13 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 11, 2008 15:58

i wish the stones played look what the cat dragged in live in concert that would have been killer .

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: September 11, 2008 16:01

To me it's a shit album.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: September 11, 2008 16:22

It has it's moments, most of which seem to be Jagger solo efforts, but overall it is a rushed and ultimately flawed album.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: September 11, 2008 16:58

I like the album but the production and several songs suck

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 11, 2008 17:04

aside from she saw me coming, virtually no redemption at all. a throwaway that belongs in the heap along with dirty work and steel wheels. sadly, it appears it will be their swan song, too....

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: September 11, 2008 17:29

Overall I like the album but can do without Street of Love and She Saw Me Coming. Sadly they didn't play many songs on this album live that would have been better on stage. Dangerous Beauty, Look What The Cat Dragged In and Let Me Down Real Slow could have all been great live.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 11, 2008 17:30

Poor album, few decent songs and MANY bad ones. Easily on the Top 3 of worst albums.

Date: September 11, 2008 17:32

georgelicks
Easily on the Top 3 of worst albums.

top 3 of worst? how about bottom 3 of best?

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 11, 2008 17:36

i've never liked it.
Lazy lyrics and poor songwriting that does nothing for the bands legacy.

Posted by: paulr15 ()
Date: September 11, 2008 17:45

Great album throughout - except maybe Streets of Love.
I wish they did play more in concerts i saw.
"Back Of My Hand" in Ottawa was a classic.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 11, 2008 17:51

No matter what most of you think, I find it a very enjoyable album, full of very good songs and some absolute gems, with a very distinctive sound. I listen to it alot.

Sure it has its low points (but I see that what I don't like other peolpe like and vice versa), the production could have been better, some ideas could have been better elaborated etc. etc., but with the exception of exile all albums could have been better for one reason or the other.

It's only rock and roll and I like it!

C

Posted by: stonesrick ()
Date: September 11, 2008 17:55

I keep returning to it and think it has a number of really good stones songs.
Rough Justice, Let me Down, Back of my Hand, Dangerous Beauty, Laugh I nearly died.

There doesn't seem to be much out there these days that I would call Rock n Roll as we know it. It seems to be on it's last legs so I personally am glad of anything which keeps me in touch with my past preferences. The music business even plagiarised the term R & B!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 11, 2008 17:56

T&A
georgelicks

Yep, down there with Satanic Majesties and Dirty Work but... 2000 Light Years, She's A Rainbow or One Hit are better than anything on ABB.
Funny thing: the band is on the front cover of the 3 albums.

Date: September 11, 2008 18:01

georgelicks
T&A
georgelicks

Yep, down there with Satanic Majesties and Dirty Work but... 2000 Light Years, She's A Rainbow or One Hit are better than anything on ABB.
Funny thing: the band is on the front cover of the 3 albums.

i'll trade you one satanic majesty for some steel wheels. this is a limited time offer...operators standing by....

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: September 11, 2008 18:38

Not their best, but not their worst either.

Rough Justice - not a bad song, not great either..I fear it may turn into a warhorse like You Got Me Rocking...which to me is of the same caliber.

Let Me Down Slow - better suited for one of Mick's solo efforts

It Won't Take Long - has potential...but falls flat.

Rain Fall Down - enough with the dance tunes

Streets Of Love - ugh!

Back Of My Hand - Stones and the blues, one of the best on the album...conjures the devil right to the crossroads.

She Saw Me Coming - another high point for the album...tounge in cheek Stones.

Biggest Mistake - mistake to include this Jagger solo tune...seems like a cast-off from Goddess in the Doorway.

This Place is Empty - latter day Keith...not as good as Voodoo Lounge's Thru & Thru, but it still conveys the ragged pirate run down, but not out.

Oh No Not You Again - follows the formula, but does so much better than the Steel Wheels Mixed Emotions ever did....another high point, just not as high.

Dangerous Beauty - slinky, funky, 7 out of 10, not quite Slave, but not unlistenalbe.

Laugh, I Nearly Died - an odd tune that recieved alot of praise; however, I never really liked it, nor disliked it...sort of bland to me.

Sweet Neo Con - trying too hard to be political....not a bad song, or a bad message, but it didn't really catch the lightening like Gimmie Shelter, Sympathy, Sweet Black Angel or even Highwire....

Look What the Cat Dragged In, great song ruined by the lyrics.

Driving Too Fast - a song I've always liked....right up there with So Young.

Infamy - How can you dislike a Keith song?....well for me all I have to do is listen to this one....stay away from the dance tunes.

Under the Raday - man this should have been on the album.

We Don't Wanna Go Home - too much like Oh No Not You Again & Look What the Cat Dragged In...best suited for an outtake.

so lets see.

One potential warhorse in Rough Justice
Great Blues tunes in Back Of My Hand
Stones having fun being the Stones with Oh No & She Saw Me Comming
Keef showing his weary ragged side with This Place is Empty
Semi-decent politcal song - Sweet Neo Con
Rocker with Driving Too Fast
and excellent outtake with Under the Radar

8 good songs out of 18?

thats 44.44% effort which to me means...A Bigger Bang would have made a great EP.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: michel ()
Date: September 11, 2008 18:48

I like a bigger bang a lot, even streets of love. Was great live too.good memories thumbs up let me down slow, is my favorite.

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: September 11, 2008 19:26

An obvious rush job, none of the creativity we got in BtoB

Posted by: phd ()
Date: September 11, 2008 21:39

I still think it is their best album since Tatoo You. It is a compact opus with a true Stones sound with no surrender to contemporary music. In that sense, ABB can easily go thru the years. It only lacks Keith in the forefront. If HE had been pushed there, it could have been to the level of Some Girls.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 11, 2008 22:00

rattler2004

Rough Justice - not a bad song, not great either..I fear it may turn into a warhorse like You Got Me Rocking...which to me is of the same caliber.

Streets Of Love - ugh!

Back Of My Hand - Stones and the blues, one of the best on the album...conjures the devil right to the crossroads.

Biggest Mistake - mistake to include this Jagger solo tune...seems like a cast-off from Goddess in the Doorway.

This Place is Empty - latter day Keith...not as good as Voodoo Lounge's Thru & Thru, but it still conveys the ragged pirate run down, but not out.

Oh No Not You Again - follows the formula, but does so much better than the Steel Wheels Mixed Emotions ever did....another high point, just not as high.

Dangerous Beauty - slinky, funky, 7 out of 10, not quite Slave, but not unlistenalbe.

Laugh, I Nearly Died - an odd tune that recieved alot of praise; however, I never really liked it, nor disliked it...sort of bland to me.

Sweet Neo Con - trying too hard to be political....not a bad song, or a bad message, but it didn't really catch the lightening like Gimmie Shelter, Sympathy, Sweet Black Angel or even Highwire....

Infamy - How can you dislike a Keith song?....well for me all I have to do is listen to this one....stay away from the dance tunes.

We Don't Wanna Go Home - too much like Oh No Not You Again & Look What the Cat Dragged In...best suited for an outtake.

so lets see.

8 good songs out of 18?

thats 44.44% effort which to me means...A Bigger Bang would have made a great EP.

44.44% of your words are crap.

Date: September 11, 2008 22:22

TooTough
rattler2004

Streets Of Love - ugh!

so lets see.

8 good songs out of 18?

44.44% of your words are crap.

20% of yours are

Posted by: benon again ()
Date: September 11, 2008 22:33

rattler2004

Streets Of Love - ugh!

so lets see.

8 good songs out of 18?

True honest , the best Bigger Bang review for me.
Thanks!

Posted by: zeb ()
Date: September 11, 2008 22:42

One of the best album since the 70´s!!
Not a bad song, I love it!

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: September 11, 2008 23:46

I don't think it sounds that great these days. I mostly listen to Driving Too Fast, Look What The Cat Dragged In, She Saw Me Coming and This Place is Empty.
I wish I was as excited about this album as I was in 2005 when finally a new Stones cd was released after 8 long years of waiting.

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: September 12, 2008 00:01

Well I did the same last week. Haven't played it for some time but got an urge from somewhere deep in my mind. It said "Do it man, do it. Put on that record again"
And it f*****g blew my mind once again.

It's a really, really great album to which they have to work hard to top.

To me Driving to fast, She saw me coming, Dangerous beauty, Laugh I nearly died are the top songs. But there loads of them in that album.

Dig it!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-12 09:56 by Fan Since 1964.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: September 12, 2008 00:45

We SO wanted the album to be a good one, but alas it wasn't.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: September 12, 2008 01:30

this is the worst record of all for me. i like sol and lind best.

the production on that record is so bad that it hurts. fire don was , now!

Posted by: guy ()
Date: September 12, 2008 02:10

Almost totally love it, even got to like Dangrous Beauty after a year or 2....

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: September 12, 2008 02:37

Only a few good songs and sorry but Mick Jagger playing dominate guitar on almost every song....that is not the Stones to me. That's the Mick Jagger project.

The Stones have ALWAYS been about the guitars to me. Mick is a fine rythmn player but last time I checked he was the singer.

Keith didn't bring enough to the table and Ronnie was excluded for most of it except for some overdubbing.

Wrong way to make a great Stones album and alas...it wasn't.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1093
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home