Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The Greatest Live Performance Song Ever?
Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: September 7, 2008 02:25

Street Fighting Man at Twickenham on Licks 2002/3 was bloody amazing.

As was Satisfaction On ABB e.g. Rome 2007. Loved it!

PS: JJF, GS & PIB are always winners too.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: September 7, 2008 03:57

Gads! How can I forget the "Ya-Ya's" SFTD? There is an edit, but I think it is free of overdubs. In any event, another thrilling performance. That would be my Taylor solo pick. Pre-Taylor solo, 11/8/69, 2nd. A fine performance (and show) by Keith.

And, yeah, the band did peak 35-40 years ago. There are lots of songs to pick from the Woody era, but I would be hard pressed to choose one over a version played earlier.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: September 7, 2008 20:24

Doctor Dear!
Tumblin_Dice_07
Doctor Dear!
JJF from Gimme Shelter
and MR from the '72 comp, Keep Your Motor Runnin'

"Midnight Rambler" isn't actually on KYMR. You must be thinking of another '72 tour compilation.

Well, its on my copy!

Really? That's odd. It's not on my copy but it's quite possible that there are more than one '72 tour compilation named "Keep Your Motor Running".

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: September 7, 2008 20:34

pmk251
And, yeah, the band did peak 35-40 years ago. There are lots of songs to pick from the Woody era, but I would be hard pressed to choose one over a version played earlier.

The 75-76 versions of sympathy are better than the 69 ones. Especially the one on LA Friday. That would be my favourite stones live moment.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: September 7, 2008 20:37

Erik_Snow
The 1973 European Tour was a strange thing; at some shows - especially late Sept/early Oct - they sounded like they were bored....not just bored of the tour, but about the direction they were heading and the band they were playing with.... Blaming it on "Taylor and his noodling" like some does, makes no sense. Even Jagger seemed tired and out of it. Even songs like Midnight Rambler - which one would think Jagger would "whip the crowd into a frenzy"....he makes it sound like a comedy...he does sound ironic at times. While other shows, especially the UK ones - and the very last shows - they are 10 stars all the way. Other tours also had ups and downs...and 1975 & 1978 (especially) had this "hit or miss" thing. But 1973 is special - because it sounded like they didn't give a damn at certain nights, and it wasn't because of drugs or drinking....like one can say about certain nights of....let's say 1975. Then again; listen to any of the 2 Frankfurt 1973 shows; which were in the middle of the "bad part" of that tour....they were on fire. I'll bet there were some discussions and fights going on during that tour, during the travels/stays. Maybe the energy of Frankfurt had something to do with Bobby being left behind in Munich - so they didn't pay too much attention of the struggles and difficulties between themselves (the 5 Stones)....just some thoughts...please nevermind

I've noticed this myself. Certain shows sounded really tired and like they didn't care. Jagger's vocals were moving more and more in the direction of self parody. People complain about Jagger's singing in '75/'76 but on some of the Europe '73 shows, you can get a preview of that over-exaggerated slurring and growling style that he would use all the time by '75/'76.

Most of the U.K. shows that year were great, but I was listening to one of the '73 tour compilations a couple of weeks ago that had the excellent audience/soundboard recordings from Essen, Hamburg, Newcastle, and the second Brussels show. I hadn't heard the Essen and Hamburg tracks in quite some time and was a little surprized at how sloppy they sounded compared to the Brussels tracks.

Also, I know there's been a debate over whether those recordings are from an audience source or a soundboard. Many people will say they're excellent audience recordings. To my ears, the Essen tracks sound like a soundboard source and the Hamburg tracks sound like an audience source. An excellent one at that. If indeed the Essen tracks are from an audience recording, then I think it would be the best one I've ever heard. I wish these two shows would surface in their entirety from these sources.

Posted by: Neil F ()
Date: September 8, 2008 23:55

My initial reaction is Midnight Rambler...but I've really enjoyed recent versions of Paint It Black driven by Charlie's drums. Not sure it's recorded at its best anywhere, but in person it was terrific.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2289
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home