Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Newer Songs Hopefully Will Remain in Setlist Rotation
Posted by: rich-wdc ()
Date: September 1, 2008 18:44

for next tour. Songs like OH NO NOT YOU AGAIN, ROUGH JUSTICE, RAIN FALL DOWN and a few others I really hope stay in the setlist (doesn't have to be every show for all of 'em) for the next run of shows.
Really nice songs -- great live, too.
And..... I wish OUT OF CONTROL can make a comeback. I know it isn't always well-received at concerts. But maybe an altered timing in the setlist or just given a few more years since LP release can make a difference. I've always liked the tune and the lights and its overall concert feeling.

Re: Newer Songs Hopefully Will Remain in Setlist Rotation
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 1, 2008 19:06

rich-wdc
for next tour. Songs like OH NO NOT YOU AGAIN, ROUGH JUSTICE, RAIN FALL DOWN and a few others I really hope stay in the setlist (doesn't have to be every show for all of 'em) for the next run of shows.
And..... I wish OUT OF CONTROL can make a comeback. I know it isn't always well-received at concerts. But maybe an altered timing in the setlist or just given a few more years since LP release can make a difference. I've always liked the tune and the lights and its overall concert feeling.

how many times has OOC been played since 1999?

I think it was just once on Licks (in Milan as Italy didnt get a BTB show) and then just a few early shows on ABB before being jettisoned.

It certainly was VERY well received on the BTB/NS tours. As was Saint Of Me. Cant remember any other time since Start Me Up when a new song went down so well.

Posted by: SimonV ()
Date: September 1, 2008 20:31

OOC was equally well received on the ABB tour.. don't know why they cut it..

Simon
myspace.com/koningsimon

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 1, 2008 20:31

what tour are we planning for here?

Posted by: SimonV ()
Date: September 1, 2008 20:33

cc
what tour are we planning for here?

The 2009 European tour ofcourse!

Simon
myspace.com/koningsimon

Posted by: olorin ()
Date: September 1, 2008 20:50

Gazza

I think it was just once on Licks (in Milan as Italy didnt get a BTB show) and then just a few early shows on ABB before being jettisoned.

It certainly was VERY well received on the BTB/NS tours. As was Saint Of Me. Cant remember any other time since Start Me Up when a new song went down so well.

You Got Me Rocking, in the setlist rotation on every tour since its release in 1994. It even figure in the warhorses section (at the end of the show) in the early BTB tour (5 shows...)

rich-wdc

I think Rain Fall Down won't be in the setlist anymore. Oh No Not You Again maybe, but for me Rough Justice has a pretty chance to take part of a future tour, it's a good rocker, the only one they played constantly during the 07 tour !

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 1, 2008 21:00

olorin
Gazza

You Got Me Rocking, in the setlist rotation on every tour since its release in 1994. It even figure in the warhorses section (at the end of the show) in the early BTB tour (5 shows...)

Yeah, but what i'm saying is that I think it would be beyond the bounds of credibility to say its a song that actually goes down too well with fans when they perform it. Unlike Out Of Control.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: September 6, 2008 23:48

I never need to hear Rain Fall Down or You Got Me Rockin' again. Wouldn't mind an occasional Oh No Not You Again, however.

My guess is that nothing from A Bigger Bang will be in the regular rotation next time around, just as Bridges to Babylon was ditched after that tour ended. We'll get 2-3 songs from whatever new album they decide to make and a bunch of older material.

Date: September 6, 2008 23:50

NOTHING from a bigger bang will be in regular rotation ever again....

and thats a fact jack

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: September 7, 2008 00:01

baxlap
Wouldn't mind an occasional Oh No Not You Again, however.

Thanks, I was starting to feel a little unloved. I almost changed my name to You Got Me Rockin.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 7, 2008 00:09

It's a shame they ignore the previous album when they tour a new album. I don't get that. The songs from the previous album and tour had an impact - they were toured for. They could play a number of songs from the previous 3 (forget Rain Fall Down, how about Dangerous Beauty, It Won't Take Long and She Saw Me Coming along with Rough Justice? That would be fantastic) albums and that's half to over half the show - gee, the more current version of the band. With Voodoo having such big sales, that says a lot of people know those tunes. So play them dammit.

I'd love to hear more songs from Voodoo, Bridges and Bang on another tour and forget all that goddamn warhorses. I know there are you JJF apes out there but they could drop SFTD and play two other songs in its place and it would be a better show. They say they feel funny doing Street Fighting Man but not Sympathy? At least they actually PLAY SFM.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: September 7, 2008 08:51

Any new material that they work into the setlist has got to be top shelf. With a few notable exceptions (e.g., LET IT LOOSE, Jigsaw Puzzle, etc.), the last 20 years have seen them bring out everything in the old catalog that they could bring to the stage. If the material sacrifices set momentum, leave it out! But be creative in the choice of older material.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 7, 2008 09:50

They would rotate any old or new song that would become very popular, simple as that. And popular means heavy airplay on the local radio, or great crowd reaction when played live. Since many crowds don't react much then it's hard for the Stones to know how the songs work, but still they get plenty of feedback live. Not just in Buenos Aires...

The IORR poll is telling there are no new songs that stands out. "Out Of Control is the only newer song among the top 100 or so with 0.2% of all votes. "Saint of Me" got 0.1%. Olny 1-2 in the crowd out of 1,000 people so want these new songs...

Bjornulf

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: September 7, 2008 10:33

olorin
Rough Justice has a pretty chance to take part of a future tour, it's a good rocker, the only one they played constantly during the 07 tour !

They didn't actually play it in Madrid, Spain during the Euro 2007 tour.
I think Rough Justice is a rather lame song when it comes to both the music and the lyrics.
I mean this stuff about grown into a fox and being one of your cocks. Give me a break!
It doesn't make any sense why they chose to play it to death during the latest tour.
The true rocker on ABB is Driving Too Fast and it has got to be played on the forthcoming tour.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 7, 2008 10:56

>> The IORR poll is telling there are no new songs that stands out <<

... if i recall the poll question right, people were asked to specify one Stones song as their favourite.
that's not at all the same as asking whether people want to hear their recent stuff in concert.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-07 11:18 by with sssoul.

Posted by: tomremi ()
Date: September 7, 2008 12:08

Anybody seen my baby, rain falls down and Don't stop are some of my all timers
Would be great to hear live

-TomR

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: September 7, 2008 12:15

I always point to 'Don't Stop' as a song that's unlikely to surface again. Here we had a pretty catchy stomper (actually did reasonably well in the singles charts), played throughout the Licks Tour and then...well nothing really. Perhaps I'm wrong but I don't think it was played on (rehearsed?) the ABB tour.
Maybe it will get wheeled out again but I kinda get the feeling it was a marketing tool for the Licks project. Shame, I quite liked that song and it was a crowd rouser.

I also expected Keith to perform 'Losing My Touch' on that tour but what we mainly got was 'The Nearness of You'. Strange.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: September 7, 2008 12:43

bv
They would rotate any old or new song that would become very popular, simple as that. And popular means heavy airplay on the local radio, or great crowd reaction when played live. Since many crowds don't react much then it's hard for the Stones to know how the songs work, but still they get plenty of feedback live. Not just in Buenos Aires...

The IORR poll is telling there are no new songs that stands out. "Out Of Control is the only newer song among the top 100 or so with 0.2% of all votes. "Saint of Me" got 0.1%. Olny 1-2 in the crowd out of 1,000 people so want these new songs...

This is a bit too critical, I think. A setlist has about 20 songs that have to work live and not one favourite. Mine was Rocks Off to confess - I never really enjoyed it live. On the other hand I thought that Out Of Control would not work live but it's a monster like Midnight Rambler live.
I think nobody of us would like to hear a setlist of the favourite 20 (without knowing which ones have been chosen) out of (y)our poll. And if you remember hearing Saint Of Me live or listen to it's (un)official releases you must agree that it (even outside Argentina) was a better sing-a-long than Miss You or You Can't Always Get What You Want (though I'm sure these two are among the top 20).

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: September 7, 2008 15:58

baxlap
Any new material that they work into the setlist has got to be top shelf. With a few notable exceptions (e.g., LET IT LOOSE, Jigsaw Puzzle, etc.), the last 20 years have seen them bring out everything in the old catalog that they could bring to the stage. If the material sacrifices set momentum, leave it out! But be creative in the choice of older material.

Very well put.
I'd much, much, much rather hear unplayed gems from, say, 68-81 than anything they've spat out post-Steel Wheels. ABB songs? Really??

[thepowergoats.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1699
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home