Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Chuck Berry on NBC Tonight Show tonight
Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: August 30, 2008 23:19

Chuck plays that thing like an extension of his soul...very few are as completely tuned in to the source as him.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 31, 2008 04:44

Chuck is KEWL

LONG LIVE ROCK AND ROLL...and pitty the scumbags who trample on it.

Posted by: stuart ()
Date: August 31, 2008 05:13

Sleepy City

Thank you for that!!

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 31, 2008 05:19

what's wrong with Chuck? his guitar is in tune and he's hitting brilliant riffs all over the place...what the hell happened? he actually pulled it off with great class...i was expecting another in a series of sort of semi-embarassments. he was splendid. God bless you Chuck, u old bastid.
well there's another 16 years, at least, we can expect from the ol' keithster.
the golden age of rock and roll will never die.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 31, 2008 05:36

Yeah Beely.I'll admit I was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting to see a train wreck. But he did pull it off with some grace and style. Gold rings on ya Chuck.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: August 31, 2008 09:40

Too bad Charles wasn't there to play with his father.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 31, 2008 10:23

People always talk about Keith Richards in the context of Chuck Berry, but there is another Rolling Stone Chuck has affected almost as much as to Keith, and that's Mick Jagger. Watching Berry performing, that spark and voice, there is soooo much that Jagger has adapted and learned from him.

Surprisingly strong performance from Il Capitano.

- Doxa

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 31, 2008 11:07

Chuck still rocks! Thanks for posting the clip, Sleepy City.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 31, 2008 11:45

>> you CAN still play AND sing <<

... are you saying that you perceive Chuck playing and singing simultaneously in that clip?
what i perceive is: he's mostly alternating between playing and singing - which is not a criticism,
it's an observation. it's nothing new: he alternates the same way in Hail Hail Rock & Roll.
Keith does the same thing most of the time - so do a lot of guitarist-singers -
and praising Chuck for it is fine with me! but bashing Keith for doing the same thing doesn't make sense.

meanwhile, yeah the studio audience does seem confused/out of it. but we can hope
the mics were just not picking up the radiant outpouring of "go Johnny go" from further-back rows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-31 13:51 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 31, 2008 12:37

with sssoul
meanwhile, yeah the studio audience does seem confused/out of it. but we can hope
the mics were just not picking up the radiant outpouring of "go Johnny go" from further-back rows.

Isn't the audience for these nighttime talk shows issued tickets well in advance, so they may not know who's going to be on the show on a particular night?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 31, 2008 12:44

>> so they may not know who's going to be on the show on a particular night? <<

yeah but everyone in the world knows Johnny B Goode! even those tykes in the front rows know it -
they were just dazed. the deer-in-the-headlights syndrome

Posted by: SimonV ()
Date: August 31, 2008 13:41

Harm

That's guy is a complete jerk if you ask me. He was terribly annoying during the recent Chuck shows I saw. He would announce Chuck going "THE GREATEST MAN EVER!! HE'S SO SUPER DUPER COOL!! PLEASE GIVE HIM A HUGE APPLAUSE BECAUSE HE IS GOD HIMSELF!! THE KING OF ROCK N ROLL!! THE GREATEST MUSICIAN EVER!!! MY FATHER: CHUUUUUUCK BERRRYYYY!" and in the end of the show he did the same thing.. terrible.. and his guitar playing? He should be backing up his aunt singing christmas songs at most.. not backing up Chuck!!

In fact this whole performance is good because it's not his band. It is actually a good band.. Marvin Smith's drumming is HOT. Sure Chuck is over 80 and his playing isn't as tight as it was 30 years ago. But Chucks regular band is a complete JOKE. They make him look like a fool. Grandpa having fun with the family.. I don't even know the piano players name but he plays a silly plastic keyboard. I mean, you're Chuck Berry, you should be able to hire the best musicians in the business.. but Chuck has always been pretty careless in his performances. This is one of the rare occasions where his guitar is actually in tune.. The cheapest musician will play. Of course his son's playing for a dime, if he wouldn't do it, he'd be emptying garbage cans. The only thing I like about his band is the bass player, don't remember his name.

Simon
myspace.com/koningsimon

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 31, 2008 16:49

SimonV
Harm

That's guy is a complete jerk if you ask me. He was terribly annoying during the recent Chuck shows I saw. He would announce Chuck going "THE GREATEST MAN EVER!! HE'S SO SUPER DUPER COOL!! PLEASE GIVE HIM A HUGE APPLAUSE BECAUSE HE IS GOD HIMSELF!! THE KING OF ROCK N ROLL!! THE GREATEST MUSICIAN EVER!!! MY FATHER: CHUUUUUUCK BERRRYYYY!" and in the end of the show he did the same thing.. terrible.. and his guitar playing? He should be backing up his aunt singing christmas songs at most.. not backing up Chuck!!

In fact this whole performance is good because it's not his band. It is actually a good band.. Marvin Smith's drumming is HOT. Sure Chuck is over 80 and his playing isn't as tight as it was 30 years ago. But Chucks regular band is a complete JOKE. They make him look like a fool. Grandpa having fun with the family.. I don't even know the piano players name but he plays a silly plastic keyboard. I mean, you're Chuck Berry, you should be able to hire the best musicians in the business.. but Chuck has always been pretty careless in his performances. This is one of the rare occasions where his guitar is actually in tune.. The cheapest musician will play. Of course his son's playing for a dime, if he wouldn't do it, he'd be emptying garbage cans. The only thing I like about his band is the bass player, don't remember his name.

What's wrong with Charles Berry's announcements? Surely it's a GOOD thing to have a bit of a build up like this, & it's not too OTT (unlike the late James Brown's concerts for example).

As for his guitar playing, it perfectly compliments his dad's. All we need is rhythm & the occasional solo: the last thing a Chuck Berry show needs is a Mick Taylor sound-a-like! Chuck's daughter Ingrid is a very fine singer & harmonica player (as well as possibly the world's sexiest 58-year-old!), & during many recent European concerts he's used Daniel Rossing, a very brilliant young player from Norway who usually uses a REAL piano. A GREAT band!

Posted by: WolfgangG ()
Date: August 31, 2008 17:03

I don't know what band SimonV is referring to as his regular one. That could be the St. Louis Band, but also the European Band.

First off, Charles announcements are okay, sometimes a little over the top though.

Concerning Charles' musical abilities, I agree with SimonV. He is a complete amateur and this is not just my opinion, but the band (the European one at least) shares it. To quote Jim Marsala (the bass player): "He is an embarrassement."

Overall I am not a huge fan of the St. Louis Band, but the European one is doing fine. Daniel Rossing is a very talented piano player. He usual demands an e-piano (not a "REAL" piano as SleepyCity points out), but often only gets a simple keyboard as local promoters want to save money.

The band Chuck used on the "Tonight Show With Jay Leno" is in my opinion better than all the above mentioned bands though. This "we're such a lovely family" shit is also pissing me off a bit even though at least Ingrid is a fine performer.

Date: August 31, 2008 17:14

WolfgangG
Daniel Rossing is a very talented piano player. He usual demands an e-piano (not a "REAL" piano as SleepyCity points out), but often only gets a simple keyboard as local promoters want to save money.

I admit that I was judging this by the Basel 2007 telecast.

And I still think Charles' playing is fine. Jimmy Marsella isn't the greatest bass player in the world, but that's not the point because his simple style perfectly compliments Chuck's style (unlike the bass player on The Tonight Show!). Less is more...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-31 17:17 by Sleepy City.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 31, 2008 17:24

These criticisms don't fit with the Chuck show I saw a few months ago. I don't recall any madly OTT announcements and the band was fine - in particular that young man on keys from Norway was terrific.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: August 31, 2008 17:36

From Norway:

And for Sleepy City:

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: August 31, 2008 18:22

There's certainly some opinions being expressed about a wide range of topics here. Bottom line? Keep them coming! It's always good to see healthy debate about stuff people are passionate about.

I have to go now and finish the shift at my regular job, emptying the garbage for the city of Saint Louis. Its a dirty and thankless job but who knows, I just might find a dime or two.

CBII

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: August 31, 2008 19:21

First I probably wont be able to wipe my own butt when I'm 80(if I live that long)but after all the lame tapes I've heard from recent tours it shows what Chuck can still do with a tight band and knowing millions of viewers asre watching! Oh what the hell, the truth is I would go see him if he sat on an apple crate on the corner with an acoustic guitar! AND pay to watch. Much love to ya,ya old fart!

Date: August 31, 2008 20:47

scottkeef
First I probably wont be able to wipe my own butt when I'm 80(if I live that long)but after all the lame tapes I've heard from recent tours it shows what Chuck can still do with a tight band and knowing millions of viewers asre watching! Oh what the hell, the truth is I would go see him if he sat on an apple crate on the corner with an acoustic guitar! AND pay to watch. Much love to ya,ya old fart!

I saw him in 1980 & he was very lame (1 minute versions with no guitar solos & a band who didn't have a clue), & I saw him 20 years later & he blew me away! So (like Jerry Lee Lewis & a few others) he's always been unpredictable.

Date: August 31, 2008 20:48

CBII
I have to go now and finish the shift at my regular job, emptying the garbage for the city of Saint Louis. Its a dirty and thankless job but who knows, I just might find a dime or two.

Hahaha! hot smiley

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: August 31, 2008 22:24

MUUUUUUUUUUUYYYY BUENOOO!!!

Bravo Mister Chuck Berry, what a class of the HERO of rock and Roll!!!
Thanks for the video

Carlitos
Tenerife

Date: August 31, 2008 23:21

See the differences, The King in my town Santa Cruz de Tenerife,
this one great!!

Carlitos
Tenerife

Date: August 31, 2008 23:23

Go, go go in Tenerife!!

Carlitos

Date: August 31, 2008 23:26

By the way he sang this song here in Tenerife, most of all in Spanish, do you know the title?

Carlitos
Tenerife

Date: August 31, 2008 23:32

I thinj this is same song in Almeria, Spain

Carlitos
Tenerife

anyone know the title?

Date: August 31, 2008 23:36

I thinks is the song called ME GUSTA CANTARLE AL VIENTO , Mexican I Suppose...
me gusta cantarle al viento,
porque vuelan mis cantares,
y digo lo que yo siento,
por toditos los lugares,

aqui vine, porque vine
a la feria de las flores,
a ver a una rosa urania,
que es amor, de mis amores.

en mi caballo,retinto,
he venido de muy lejos,
y traigo pistola en cinto,
y con ella doy consejos,

a traves de la montaƱa,
todo el dia ver las flores,
no hay cerro que se me empine,
ni tu amor que se me atore,

aunque otro quiera cortarla,
yo la devise primero,
y juro que he de robarla,
aunque tenga, jardinero,

yo le dare trasplantada,
en el huerto de mi casa
y si sale el jardinero,
pues haber,haber que pasa.

Posted by: bianca ()
Date: September 1, 2008 01:35

seems capable and all the power to him to keep going at 81, but a terrible arrangement of a great song...the only time I've ever heard Johnny B. Goode without getting goosebumps

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: September 1, 2008 02:22

Iremember when Chuck was on the Tonite show when carson was still hosting, back in the mid-80's.
Chuck came out at the start of the show and impressed Johnny so much that Carson interviewed him for the rest of the show!! A whole hour!!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: September 1, 2008 02:31

[url=

][/url]

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1887
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home