Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Glen Campell covers The Velvet Underground!
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 29, 2008 15:59

Have you heard about (or actually heard) Glen's new CD "Meet Glen Campbell"? On his first major new release in 20 years, the 72-year-old country-pop legend has not only covered The Velvet Underground's "Jesus", but he's also covered songs by the likes of U2, the Foo Fighters, Green Day, the Replacements, Tom Petty, Jackson Browne, and John Lennon.

Re: OT: Glen Campell covers The Velvet Underground!
Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: August 29, 2008 16:12

tatters
Have you heard about (or actually heard) Glen's new CD "Meet Glen Campbell"? On his first major new release in 20 years, the 72-year-old country-pop legend has not only covered The Velvet Underground's "Jesus", but he's also covered songs by the likes of U2, the Foo Fighters, Green Day, the Replacements, Tom Petty, Jackson Browne, and John Lennon.

Sounds like he's trying to do a Johnny Cash. Rubin's not on the knobs is he?

Date: August 29, 2008 16:24

Julian Raymond produced. From what I've read, the idea wasn't to try to be "edgy" but to find songs that could be revamped to echo his lush 1960s sound, and to make a record that sounded like his 1960s work. Raymond presented Glen with about 30 songs for his consideration and Glen picked the 10 he liked best. "They were basically all new to me", Glen admitted. The songs are all done as pop tunes with orchestral arrangements. Glen plays a 6-string Danelectro bass guitar like the one he played in the 1960s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-29 16:28 by tatters.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 29, 2008 16:32

tatters
Julian Raymond produced. From what I've read, the idea wasn't to try to be "edgy" but to find songs that could be revamped to echo his lush 1960s sound, and to make a record that sounded like his 1960s work.

still doesn't really explain the edgy song choices. Plenty of other songs would seem to have fit that task. I'm interested to hear the record.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: August 29, 2008 16:47

And Johnny covered songs by the likes of U2, Tom Petty and John Lennon. But let's be open minded and wait 'til we hear it.

Posted by: rbarnes00 ()
Date: August 29, 2008 16:49

Sounds more like when Pat Boone did a metal album.

Date: August 29, 2008 17:03

cc
tatters
Julian Raymond produced. From what I've read, the idea wasn't to try to be "edgy" but to find songs that could be revamped to echo his lush 1960s sound, and to make a record that sounded like his 1960s work.

still doesn't really explain the edgy song choices. Plenty of other songs would seem to have fit that task. I'm interested to hear the record.

I guess he wants to try to connect with a younger audience. More likely, he'll succeed in tempting a few of his older fans, who maybe lost interest in him over the years, to take another listen.

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: August 29, 2008 17:46

Classic Glen Campbell.

Glen's DUI mugshot. Photographer unknown

And this great song...

His take on Time of Your Life ...

[emicat.edgeboss.net]

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: August 29, 2008 18:09

Yes,I don't have the link, but if you search AOL sessions, there are live performances of some of the songs. He doesn't play much guitar, but he still has a very good voice and looks much better than the mug shot period.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 29, 2008 18:30

I like Glen's late-60's hits like "Gentle On My Mind" and "Wichita Lineman."

It took years for a lot of people to rediscover the music of Buck Owens because they couldn't get past his persona on the TV show "Hee Haw." In the same way, music fans dismiss Glen because of his "Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour" variety show.

Before he became a star, Glen was one of the most in-demand session guitarists around. He's played on tons of classic hits, and deserves (if only as a sideman) to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Posted by: Max Volume!!! ()
Date: August 29, 2008 19:09

As Captain Jack Harkness says in Torchwood: "The 21st Century is when it all changes, and you have to be ready."

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 30, 2008 03:00

Glenn Campbell ain't the first country/pop/whatever star to go down this road:

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 30, 2008 04:30

of course "Heroin" in duet with Tanya Tucker would be the way to go.
Would send them both Straight back to the top.
oh well. never mind.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: August 30, 2008 07:28

Nah -- if he's going to do a duet with Tanya Tucker, Venus in Furs is the way to go!

Date: August 30, 2008 15:46

loog droog

It took years for a lot of people to rediscover the music of Buck Owens because they couldn't get past his persona on the TV show "Hee Haw." In the same way, music fans dismiss Glen because of his "Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour" variety show.

In addition to the TV show, Glen's conservative politics, not to mention his appearance in a John Wayne film, added to the overall perception of a guy who was about as un-hip as you could possibly be in 1969.

Maybe instead of True Grit, he should have tried to get a part in a movie that was COOL. Maybe a cameo in Midnight Cowboy, as a SUCCESSFUL hustler, who shows Joe Buck the ropes, so to speak.

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: August 30, 2008 19:30

Before he became Glen Campbell he was a studio musician, you've all heard his guitar on Strangers in the Night, I,'m a Believer, You've lost that Lovin Feelin, Phil Spectors Wall of Sound amongst many others. Did session work with Carol Kaye, the only female bass player I know of - she used to have a regular bass guitar column in Guitar Player mag 30 years ago (my I'm showing my age)

I have a bittersweet spot for him cos my first high-school girlfriend had an album of him doing folky stuff on 12-string guitar, that & Rubber Soul were our main necking albums when the parents were out. She was also the first girlfriend to dump me.

Next I noticed him was in the Glen Campbell Hour, not because of him but because of John Hartford -

Lately I noticed him trying to sell one of those Greatest-Ever-Golden-Olden cd sets on an infomercial that went on & on...

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 30, 2008 22:16

tatters

In addition to the TV show, Glen's conservative politics, not to mention his appearance in a John Wayne film, added to the overall perception of a guy who was about as un-hip as you could possibly be in 1969.

Maybe instead of True Grit, he should have tried to get a part in a movie that was COOL. Maybe a cameo in Midnight Cowboy, as a SUCCESSFUL hustler, who shows Joe Buck the ropes, so to speak.[/quote

In a world where Steve Jones (on his radio show) gushes over Cliff Richard and jams with Peter Frampton, aren't we past the whole "cool" thing?

I have no idea what Glen's politics were/are, and while I agree that being in a John Wayne film wasn't "cool" in 1969, forty years later it's a great resume item to have appeared in a film with the star of The Searchers, They Were Expendable, Red River, etc.

The idea of Glen in Midnight Cowboy is funny. And it would have made no sense at all at the time for it would have been career suicide, trashing his image and costing him millions.

Back then he was America's goody-good, while now he's got a famous bad-boy mug shot.

Who cares? I still like his early records.

Besides, since he sang lead on Sagitarius' "My World Fell Down" and played on Pet Sounds, he doesn't need his "cool" ticket punched.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 30, 2008 22:33

vox12string
Before he became Glen Campbell he was a studio musician, you've all heard his guitar on Strangers in the Night, I,'m a Believer, You've lost that Lovin Feelin, Phil Spectors Wall of Sound amongst many others. Did session work with Carol Kaye, the only female bass player I know of - she used to have a regular bass guitar column in Guitar Player mag 30 years ago (my I'm showing my age)

Glen Campbell isn't on I'm A Believer. THat was done in New York
with producer Jeff Barry.
Campbell IS on a bunch of Mike Nesmith-produced Monkee tracks:
Papa Gene's BLues, Sweet Young Thing, Mary Mary and others.
What's interesting about those tracks are who's on them.
On guitars were Campbell and James Burton.
Imagine having them in your band.
Also on those sessions are Al Casey, Hal Blaine, Jim Gordon (percussion),
Larry Knechtel and....wait for it...Billy Preston.
Campbell also recorded a highly-regarded album on 12-string guitar
which caught Jimmy Page's ear.
I agree with Loog Droog: Campbell doesn't need his "cool" ticket punched.

Date: August 30, 2008 22:36

loog droog

The idea of Glen in Midnight Cowboy is funny. And it would have made no sense at all at the time for it would have been career suicide, trashing his image and costing him millions.

That's why it would have been so cool. Sometimes it's just fun to play the "what if" game. Like what if Elvis had headlined at Woodstock? Of course, The Colonel would never have allowed such a thing, but what if he had? Would he still have turned into Fat Vegas Elvis? Or would his future direction have been forever changed?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1736
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home