Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

According To The Rolling Stones
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 26, 2008 04:59

Does everyone have this book? Excellent book. A must have I think. The odd thing is - and I know why but - Bill Wyman isn't in it at all.

And the discog doesn't fully list everything (Rewind is not accurate for one, Virgin Records isn't listed at all I think for anything, it only says Rolling Stones Records...) so, as far as not being near a computer, how correct those parts are...

Ronnie seems to have some moments where no one else even comments AT ALL about the moments he's commenting on - from 1969 to about 1974. Gee - I wonder why!

And interestingly enough there's very little talk at all about their live albums - I think Love You Live gets more talk than Ya-Ya's does and that's it. Of course, there is plenty more to talk about than live albums. Overall though - the first quarter of the book is almost a history lesson in rock'n'roll itself - and that is a treasure.

Re: According To The Rolling Stones
Posted by: SimonV ()
Date: August 26, 2008 11:01

I don't like it that much.. Rolling With The Stones is a lot more fun to read and I feel the information it gives is a lot more accurate too.

Simon
myspace.com/koningsimon

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 26, 2008 11:42

skipstone
Does everyone have this book? Excellent book. A must have I think. The odd thing is - and I know why but - Bill Wyman isn't in it at all.

And the discog doesn't fully list everything (Rewind is not accurate for one, Virgin Records isn't listed at all I think for anything, it only says Rolling Stones Records...) so, as far as not being near a computer, how correct those parts are...

Ronnie seems to have some moments where no one else even comments AT ALL about the moments he's commenting on - from 1969 to about 1974. Gee - I wonder why!

And interestingly enough there's very little talk at all about their live albums - I think Love You Live gets more talk than Ya-Ya's does and that's it. Of course, there is plenty more to talk about than live albums. Overall though - the first quarter of the book is almost a history lesson in rock'n'roll itself - and that is a treasure.

I much prefer Mark Paytress' 'Off The Record'...

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 26, 2008 13:34

skipstone

I've always thought this book was released in response to Bill's "Rolling With the Stones."

Both are a good read, but I prefer Bill's.
I like Bill's matter-of-fact style of describing his experiences as opposed to the polished versions found in "According."
Bill's photo collection greatly enhances his book as well, especially for readers like me with limited attention spans. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
I would really like to see another book dedicated to Bill's Stones-related photo collection.

Re: According to the Rolling Stones
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 26, 2008 14:15

for me According to and Rolling With complement each other very well.
i wouldn't say either is more accurate - they're different people's viewpoints, and the books have very different aims.
i like the layout of According to a lot more - it's easier to read - and Bill gets overly grumpy now and then.
(i forgive him ... but it's tiresome sometimes)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-26 14:25 by with sssoul.

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: August 26, 2008 14:31

Has anyone read 'Off the record' by Mark Paytress?

Seems a pretty good book based on interviews etc over the years.

Date: August 26, 2008 14:33

>> Has anyone read 'Off the record' by Mark Paytress? <<

sure. it's a quite cool book. a bit piecemeal sometimes, but it's good to have.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 26, 2008 14:34

nanker phelge

Yes, I have (as you'll know if you read the messages above).....

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: August 26, 2008 14:50

Sleepy City
nanker phelge

Yes, I have (as you'll know if you read the messages above).....

Doh! Should have read the posts properly!

Date: August 26, 2008 17:52

In Bill's book he gets the release numbers wrong around Emotional Rescue, which I find to be quite entertaining. He repeats one for Some Girls or ER or Tattoo You as far as U.S. releases goes.

Other than that - Bill's book is way more interesting in terms of each album era - the hype, the single covers, most of the artwork is represented. I've never seen such a collection of Stones STUFF in one book like his. It's very good indeed.

I like According To because, like I stated, it's a music history lesson in the first 50 pages (or something like that).

The other good book I have is...The Rolling Stones A Life On The Road - that's a nice one too - fantastic pictures. That was after Bridges.

My Rolling Stones On Tour book is falling apart. I'm not sure if I should fix it - the spine is basically gone and I've thought about having it repaired. I bought it used (which I could not understand - WHY would anyone let that book go!!??).

If I ever find another one I'll use this one that is falling apart to frame the pictures with.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 26, 2008 20:18

My pet hate with Bill's book is that he has spring 69 pics of the band in amongst the beggars banquet chapters. Not so bad I guess as it seems nearly every single book that has them makes the same mistake.

I browsed through 'according to' at a book store ages ago, but I left it sitting there as it seemed to have a fair number of the same ol' story's that just don't seem to ring true.

Posted by: dj ()
Date: August 27, 2008 00:03

"According to..." was released to complement the Forty Licks tour, which partly explains why BW isn't included.

Date: August 27, 2008 11:45

>> it seems nearly every single book that has them makes the same mistake. <<

yeah, a lot of the time it's because they're using Bill's book as a source.
of course Bill's entitled to have mistakes in his book like everyone else, bless him -
but in a way it is worse when Bill makes them, since he has such a reputation for accuracy.
did that start with Stone Alone and all those detailed bank-account reports in it?
but of course keeping old bank books doesn't make one a super-accurate historian in other areas.

Rolling With is a great book anyway, of course. thanks & praises Bill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-27 11:47 by with sssoul.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 27, 2008 16:50

with sssoul
but in a way it is worse when Bill makes them, since he has such a reputation for accuracy.

yeah, his wrong claims get poor souls like Mock Jogger all in a tizzy. It makes one wish bill had written only about itineraries and finances... "Rolling in the Dough." I guess there were "bird" tallies to reckon, too.

Date: August 27, 2008 18:25

I got According To... at Books A Million for five bucks.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 27, 2008 19:17

cc
with sssoul

yeah, his wrong claims get poor souls like Mock Jogger all in a tizzy. It makes one wish bill had written only about itineraries and finances... "Rolling in the Dough." I guess there were "bird" tallies to reckon, too.

Actually, without getting too sleazy, I believe Bill makes reference to a moment in time when he and Charlie actually shared the same female company on one occasion.
So either Bill's memory (or diary entry) is at fault, or.........

Date: August 27, 2008 19:25

>> he and Charlie <<

he and Brian, wasn't it? Charlie is open to himself *maybe*

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 28, 2008 03:21

skipstone
I got According To... at Books A Million for five bucks.

I paid a hundred bucks for it a couple of years ago...came with a RS Fan Club card. sad smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1947
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home