Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ronnie Wood signed guitar
Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: August 11, 2008 18:16

I found Ronnie Wood signed brand new full size fender electric guitar for 299 dollars. What do you think about this price?

Re: Ronnie Wood signed guitar
Date: August 11, 2008 18:23

299dollars, that's about 3 euro and fifty eurocents i think..., so buy it smiling smiley

Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: August 11, 2008 18:32

update: now it's about 2 eur and 99 cents.

Date: August 11, 2008 18:36

Come on guys, I don't have a lot of experience in buying these kind of things, so I would appreciate your help!

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: August 11, 2008 19:17

Definitely NO!!!!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: August 11, 2008 19:29

Ah, @#$%& it you only live once. Buy it!

Posted by: stein ()
Date: August 11, 2008 19:41

If he have used it buy it, if not buy it anyway.

Date: August 11, 2008 20:28

You better all think.

What't the cheapest new Fender guitar they sell?

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: August 11, 2008 20:56

There are two big questions here.

1) What guitar actually is it.

2) Is the signature authentic (In my experience a C.O.A means nothing - they are easier to produce than a good fake autograph). What is the source / history.

3) Is it body signed or pick guard signed and how nice is the example (clean and clear).

All the above will affect the value of the guitar. The guitar is either not a good one or the autograph is fake at this price would be my view based on the information available.

A really nicely signed Fender squire from a bullet proof source could easily fetch £500 (I have seen them run £750) when the guitar only costs £130 new. Make that a nice signature ESP and given the guitar costs £800 new then it is all down to example.

A guitar is the highest value add you can acheive with an autograph. i.e. The increase in value of a guitar is greater than that acheived by any other usual medium (album, CD, programme, poster etc...). This is probably the reason most of the Stones and indeed most artists don't like doing them.

If the guitar is too expensive though, it won't add any value and could take away from it. You wouldn't get a vintage telecaster signed now, just like it would ruin a vintage Stones poster to have it signed now. It is all about example and authenticity.

Here you can see a couple of my Ronnie signed guitars (both Ronnie signature ESP's as used by him for Tumblin' Dice):

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: August 11, 2008 21:11

I remember asking: And who is Mattleeuk? smiling smiley

Date: August 11, 2008 21:18

Bitches Brew
Come on guys, I don't have a lot of experience in buying these kind of things, so I would appreciate your help!

sorry, mate.

mattlee already pointed out the most important things. do u have a pic of the guitar u want to purchase? would be easier to judge then. 299 USD seems a bit too low priced to me...

Date: August 11, 2008 21:22

Thanks a lot for these informations mattleeuk, btw awesome guitars!!
This is the picture of the guitar, it comes with the letter of authenticity, and a picture of Ronnie signing guitars for this company.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-11 21:27 by Bitches Brew.

Date: August 11, 2008 21:23

Date: August 11, 2008 21:26

Harm

Well you can believe and think what you want...we're living in a free world, at least the most of us....I believe and trust Matt...nothing more to add to his opinion.

Date: August 11, 2008 21:27

well, the fact that it's a squier guitar and not actually a fender would explain the relatively low price. not sure about the signature though, u might want to wait for mattlee's reply, he's probably more competent there than I am.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-11 21:29 by therollingmanu.

Date: August 11, 2008 21:31

First of all it's signed upside down!!!

Second that signature looks like a fake to me...but I'm no expert in that...it's just the way it looks.

Third I haven't seen a Ronnie signature without the "Wood"...but again just my opinion...maybe there are some out there...but I really doubt it.

Fourth letter of authenticity is just a piece of paper as long as the source is not known as trustworthy.

Fifth the dot on the "i" is missing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-11 21:34 by Roadster32.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: August 11, 2008 21:41

Looks fake to me but still, sod it! Go and enjoy.....

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: August 11, 2008 22:45

Roadster32
Harm

Well you can believe and think what you want...we're living in a free world, at least the most of us....I believe and trust Matt...nothing more to add to his opinion.

??? Why shouldn't we trust him?

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: August 11, 2008 23:21

Nice guitars Matt!

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: August 11, 2008 23:33

All of a sudden the apparent Bargin is explained. The guitar is worth about $250 so you are paying a $50 premium for the Ronnie autograph. A complete bargin if it is real...

Before I give an opinion I should probably state my credentials for the benefit of those that don't know me. The last time Harm asked "who is MattLeeUK" someone replied "Someone called Matt Lee from the UK". That is indeed factually correct but doesn't validate my opinion on a Stones autograph! :-)

I am a collector of Rolling Stones and Solo Stones memorabilia. I also collect and sell Ronnie's art (I offer all IORR members a 15% discount). To this end I have collected around 200 autographs from Ronnie (done in front of me) and seen hundreds more on artwork.

Ronnie is very consistent and generally very careful. Bad examples can be recieved but only when the moment is inappropriate or he is under pressure. There is an art to getting a great autograph, it is about timing and control of the item that is being signed.

Back to the discussion.... the example on this guitar is weak at best. Upside down, incomplete and mis-shaped. It could be real but if it is, it was signing in a scrum of fans without any care. As such it isn't really worth anything. He does sometimes only sign "Ronnie" but generally only on the occasional mass signed item or in personal things like Chritmas cards where it would be rather odd to sign Wood.

I had a dig around for the worst real Ronnie autographs I could find and came up with the two below. Both are a little ackward and not great examples but still relatively consisitent.

And here is another signed ESP, this time a blue one :-)

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 12, 2008 01:24

Worth $250, after sanding off the autograph worth $10.

Mathijs

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 12, 2008 06:13

Looks like it's a Fender Squire Bullet - you can get them 98 €uros or 77,- quid.
dunno about the autograph, but it's probably easy to wipe off, lol.

[www.thomann.de]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-12 18:33 by open-g.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 12, 2008 06:20

oops - duplicate deleted. sry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-12 18:25 by open-g.

Date: August 12, 2008 11:21

It would appear that all of the genuine autographs have a loop at the top of th 'o' of Ronnie which the version on the guitar in question does not........ Just an observation!

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: August 12, 2008 11:44

open-g
open-g
Looks like it's a Fender Squire Bullet - you can get them for 98 €uros or 77 quid.
dunno about the autograph, but it's probably easy to wipe off, lol.

[www.thomann.de]

How is the Squire series quality-wise? They seem to be very affordable, but probably shitty?

Date: August 12, 2008 11:51

Lorenz

How is the Squire series quality-wise? They seem to be very affordable, but probably shitty?

a friend of mine used to own one. they're ok actually if you're not a 'professional' player and don't demand too a high deal

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-12 11:56 by therollingmanu.

Date: August 12, 2008 11:58

sounds cool, I might get one - just need it for playing at home, basically smiling smiley

Date: August 12, 2008 12:10

oh, they're definetely worth it for that!

Date: August 12, 2008 12:12

I have Fender Telecaster Thinline, but I have always wanted another Tele without the F-hole on it. Alternatively, I'd love to have an Epiphone Les Paul...

Date: August 12, 2008 13:02

Lorenz
I have Fender Telecaster Thinline, but I have always wanted another Tele without the F-hole on it. Alternatively, I'd love to have an Epiphone Les Paul...

how about this one then?

[www.musik-produktiv.co.uk]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1787
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home