Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O.T - Online Petition Pleading with Bono to retire launches
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 1, 2008 18:10

[www.thepoint.com]

An online petition asking for U2 frontman Bono to "retire from public life" has so far raised $390.

The petition is published on Thepoint.com.

It's stated aim is: "To get Bono to retire from public life (so he'll stop leading misguided counter-productive philanthropy efforts)."

The petition's creator also declared that all money raised will be given to charity, depending on the success of the petition.

The creator states: "We will give money to Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.

"But we will only pay if we meet our objective."

U2 are currently putting the finishing touches to their new album, the follow-up to 2004's 'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb'.

[www.nme.com]

Re: O.T - Online Petition Pleading with Bono to retire launches
Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: August 1, 2008 18:21

Why??
Bono is a good man , he's working well with the band , and he just tries to make something good for the world
leave him alone

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: August 1, 2008 18:42

...yeah, at least he tries to make a positive difference, which is more than I can say for most people.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 1, 2008 18:45

I feel this thread could go on for 25 pages.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 1, 2008 19:09

I was hoping this was a petition for him to stop singing - now that's one I'd sign! Pompous windbag. Never has there been a more conceited musician.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: August 1, 2008 19:54

Bono has done far more for the world than post-Beatles Lennon ever did.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: August 1, 2008 20:04

I hold absolutely nothing against Bono and his causes. I also enjoy U2's music.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: August 1, 2008 20:24

I'm glad to agree with you for a change!

smileys with beer

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: August 1, 2008 22:48

VoodooLounge13
I was hoping this was a petition for him to stop singing - now that's one I'd sign! Pompous windbag. Never has there been a more conceited musician.

OH PLEASE, the man has got a great voice and U2 are an amazing band. Fantastic songs, brilliant live shows.... Sorry, not every band can be as insanely rockin' as TOTO....

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 1, 2008 22:52

He's a good man and he's the Imelda Marcos of sunglasses....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 1, 2008 22:55

He's even better then the real thing

Date: August 1, 2008 22:58

Russel Morris?

ROCKMAN

Date: August 1, 2008 22:58

VERY "inside" to the new kids floating around these parts Rock (seems to be many) but don't you worry, The Helter "gets it"... I was actually there one day after her and Hubby left for exile (Hawaii I believe) - Helter, just floating through history (but I didn't make the demise of the Berlin Wall, will ALWAYS kick myself for that lethargic non move..... )

Date: August 1, 2008 23:03

Yeah I'm pissed I missed Thomas Edison
singing Mary Had A Little Lamb by about 3 days.......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: August 1, 2008 23:07

Admittedly Bono, Geldoff and the like can be irritating at the best of times, but they're doing their best for a lot of good and just causes.

...good on 'em, I say.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 1, 2008 23:09

Gazza
I feel this thread could go on for 25 pages.

I feel the same, but still...I have to say this: First of all - I love the msic of U2, I think they are great band, BUT...I am sick of Bono pretending to be a nice guy trying to save the poor world. He is what he is because of the U2, not because of his humanistic efforts. It is interesting to see their past tour schedules. Hundreds and hundreds of shows in the U.S., many many in the Western Europe, and 1 gig in the Central and Eastern Europe in the last 10 years (which I have seen spinning smiley sticking its tongue out) If I went more back to history I think there would be like 5 all together. Yea, Mr. Bono wouldn't grab so much money there. Not really nice from a man who wants to be known for defeating the povetry... (Not that the Central and Eastern Europe is poor, but...you get my point, right?)
Another thing - since 2000 each of their albums was released in the second half of November. Why....? In the years where there was no new album, there were some Best Ofs or concerts released exactly at the same time.
I don't want to be too cynical, but the whole poverty fighting thing is probably just good for the U2 bussines. I am sad to admit that as a U2 fan...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-01 23:11 by Happy24.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: August 1, 2008 23:12

Always preferred Cher...

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Date: August 1, 2008 23:19

Rockman
Yeah I'm pissed I missed Thomas Edison
singing Mary Had A Little Lamb by about 3 days.......

That one I caught... total hype - really boring, we left early to do some "Skank Hunting" since we had Craig's Van with the giant bed in back......

Date: August 1, 2008 23:23

The evening Elton & Bono turned up ........

ROCKMAN

Date: August 1, 2008 23:40

Elton and Bono both on a low Carb diet thing here Rock? Looking slim and trim I must say.....

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: August 2, 2008 00:05

i was right into u2 in the 1980,s fell away from them as i got more into the stones but i get fed up when people knock bono for his contribution to solving a lot of the worlds problems.

some people suggest bono is doing it only for publicity which helps sales and therefore funds his own pockets but what people dont understand is bono has given up a lot of his own time and spent a lot of time in foreign countries living in poor conditions for weeks on end, something he dosent really have to do to get publicity.

i felt many "popstars" jumped on the live aid bandwagon for thier own gain but bono was genuine as was geldof.

sure bono has a healthy financial situation but he has earned it.

im not a big fan of u2,s later stuff and i feel bono has been around for ever but i still think he is one of lifes good guys no matter how irritating he seems at times.

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: August 2, 2008 00:44

Bono and Geldoff both have their heads so far up their ass. Who made them world ambassadors they're muscians and poor ones at that.

Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: August 2, 2008 00:52

I've never understood the nickname, he's called Paul Hewson, but he calls himself.. Bono? A chimp at the zoo, ok. A member of an African tribe, ok. An extravagant member of a gayclub, alright. But a pop singer? He should stick to Paul.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: August 2, 2008 15:11

Floorbird
Bono and Geldoff both have their heads so far up their ass. Who made them world ambassadors they're muscians and poor ones at that.

Who else do you suggest?

Bush and Brown?

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 2, 2008 17:15

Floorbird

with respect to Mr Geldof - he's tried very hard over the years ,with different initiatives/projects to ease the suffering of the downtrodden.
Fair play to him.

I just wish, he'd get his own house in order, and sort his odious offspring out.
Before they end up od'ing on smack, like their equally odious mother.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: August 2, 2008 17:47

This is such a strange thread-whether Bono is conceited or not-if he is a change agent for good, what is so wrong with that? A lot of the best rock and roll music I grew up with was about positive change/hypocrisy, and like others before him (eg Lennon, Geldof), at least he walks it the way he talks it..

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 5, 2008 18:30

I take nothing away from the good he's trying to accomplish, but he still remains a conceited pr-ck in my book and for that reason alone has turned me off to U2. I won't even bring myself to pay them to go see em live.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1949
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home