Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The Great Soul Men - Sam Cooke
Posted by: Ron Wud ()
Date: July 25, 2008 22:12

Despite some sugary pop late on he hits the heights and is No.1 Soul Man for me. The voice is everything.

Check out 'Live at Harlem Square Club' where Cooke tears it up and is the pure undiluted definition of soul. His best album by miles.

1. Feel It
2. Chain Gang
3. Cupid
4. Medley: It's All Right/For Sentimental Reasons
5. Twistin' The Night Away
6. Somebody Have Mercy
7. Bring It On Home To Me
8. Nothing Can Change This Love
9. Having A Party

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-25 22:53 by Ron Wud.

Re: OT: The Great Soul Men - Sam Cooke
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 25, 2008 22:22

Great gospel too.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 25, 2008 22:49

Yes, love "Night Beat" ('63) album, and songs like 'Keep Moving On,' 'A Change Is Going to Come', etc are as great as popular music gets. Bobby Womack played guitar on those, too.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: July 26, 2008 01:32

young teen billy preston's work on sam's definitive version little red rooster still sends a chill up the ol' spine...

sam was in a class by himself...never been another like him.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 26, 2008 21:05

Bought the album when it first came out, then later on got the CD. One of my favorite live albums.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 27, 2008 00:06

Ron Wud
Despite some sugary pop late on he hits the heights and is No.1 Soul Man for me. The voice is everything.

Check out 'Live at Harlem Square Club' where Cooke tears it up and is the pure undiluted definition of soul. His best album by miles.

1. Feel It
2. Chain Gang
3. Cupid
6. Somebody Have Mercy
9. Having A Party

How can you forget A Change Is Gonna Come Wuddy

Posted by: DKsoulman ()
Date: July 27, 2008 01:14

NICOS
Ron Wud

1. Feel It
2. Chain Gang
3. Cupid
6. Somebody Have Mercy
9. Having A Party

How can you forget A Change Is Gonna Come Wuddy

Well, that's not his favour, but the track list for the album 'Live at Harlem Square Club'

ANd then there is his album Night Beat. A great laid back original album. (no combilation) It must have been something of the last he recorded.

There's a lot of Best Album out there with Sam Cooke. Some are great, others not that great. It is not in print anymore, but if you can find the cd "The Man And His Music" BUY IT!!!

Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 27, 2008 01:37

The 2003 comp on Abkco (title escapes me, duh) is imo the single best one disc comp, two dozen tracks in spectacular sound (SACD? Dont have a player, but it sounds AMAZING). Sam was certainly aware of the Stones & Dylan (influenced 'A Change'), and would if 'Night Beat' (recorded early '63) is any indication have certainly adapted to the emerging album market...God what a loss. Remember too Sam's mentor J. W. Alexander plays percussion on a track from 'December's Children' ! Also tres cool the "SAR Story" box, - SAR Sam's record label (and how many black singers developed - had the clout AND the vision - their own labels in the early '60s?) with great music by Sam, Bobby Womack, Johnnie Taylor, Valentinos, etc etc...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1540
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home