Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Was John Lennon a jerk?
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 19, 2008 05:01

Sometimes.

Remember him criticizing the Stones in Playboy. And the Beatle are more popular than Jesus statement. Oh yeah, he said "I do" to Yoko.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-19 14:45 by Elmo Lewis.

Re: Was John Lennon an as*hole?
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 19, 2008 05:03

It depends if he remembered to take his meds...

anyway, off to band rehearsal!

Date: July 19, 2008 05:08

I thought Paul was the as* hole and John was the nut sack?

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: July 19, 2008 12:05

No

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: July 19, 2008 12:50

I LOVE the barn owl.... there's something very mystical and other worldly about him.... gives be goose bumps sometimes... The "OWL" see's all, the "OWL" knows all......

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: July 19, 2008 13:39

Re: Was John Lennon a jerk?
Date: July 19, 2008 16:43

"I think the Rolling Stones are a lot of hype. I like ``Honky Tonk Women,'' but I think Mick's a joke with all that fag dancing; I always did. I enjoy it; I'll probably go and see his films and all like everybody else, but really, I think it's a joke"- John Lennon, Rolling Stone interview, 1970.

Yes, he was a jerk.

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: July 19, 2008 16:53

Not more or less then you or me....

He seems like a regular human-being to me...

He wrote some nice tunes

Posted by: RadioMarv ()
Date: July 19, 2008 16:55

you cant be a rock star and not be some sort of jerk or a$$hole.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 19, 2008 17:47

I disagree with you RadioMarv about all rock stars being A**Holes. Strongly disagree. I think as HUMANS we are all jerks at certain times but I know that there are some mighty big stars who maintain their humanity pretty much all of the time. I loved John and think that the statement above was said at one moment in time and does not generally reflect how John felt about Mick&Co. They hung out a bit, did some recording together and if he really did not like Mick, he surely would have avoided him. With the money John had, he could pick carefully those he spent time with.

Date: July 19, 2008 21:30

Memo From Tina Turner
"I think the Rolling Stones are a lot of hype. I like ``Honky Tonk Women,'' but I think Mick's a joke with all that fag dancing; I always did. I enjoy it; I'll probably go and see his films and all like everybody else, but really, I think it's a joke"- John Lennon, Rolling Stone interview, 1970.

Yes, he was a jerk.

Lennon was notorious for being outspoken and was often perceived as outlandish and controversial. He liked to get things going and stir up the pot (before he smoked the pot of course, lol).
His sharp tongue and wit was all part of his game back then... He was a good friend of the Stones and he liked their music but the Stones weren't spared from Lennon's verbal jabs. It's just how he was. Although much quieter, I perceive Yoko as a bigger jerk...hmmm...abyone have a thread about Yoko being a jerk?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 19, 2008 22:15

Yes. And a smartass to boot.

Posted by: robertfraser ()
Date: July 19, 2008 22:25

john lennon was my favorite beatle in the beginning and the film hard day's night he comes across as a funny guy that would be a great drinking buddy.

by the time he has met yoko and the beatles have broken up he is a total dick, full of his own importance....i can't watch him i cringe!!

in particular there is a bit in the imagine video where julian is shouting over a pond at his dad and yoko is saying hello back....john says somthing like "who's shouting ?" yoko relies it's julian. John reacts like he really doesn't care, julian saw his father about 8 times from the time he was born until 17. yet here is a man preaching love and peace but he really doesn't give a dam about his own family.

john had a reputation as a fighter when he was young and was known for being a right Ba*tard, yet here's a guy that could write a song like imagine.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: July 19, 2008 22:36

Lennon was a @#$%& genius.

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: July 19, 2008 22:58

Ask his first wife and son.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 19, 2008 23:43

mickschix
I loved John and think that the statement above was said at one moment in time and does not generally reflect how John felt about Mick&Co. They hung out a bit, did some recording together and if he really did not like Mick, he surely would have avoided him. With the money John had, he could pick carefully those he spent time with.

I agree Mickschix. Ive heard the audio of that interview before and he was responding to somethingMick Jagger said about how the Beatles were so big it was ridiculous. Im not sure exaclty what Mick said but it was something along those lines, and when John Lennon was talking about it he seemed really angry and also hurt by it. I think thats why he said that, he was just mad at the time. I think they really were friends because If youll notice Mick and Keith never say anything bad about him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-19 23:44 by ryanpow.

Posted by: highanddry ()
Date: July 20, 2008 03:16

keeffriffhard
Not more or less then you or me....

Oh, I dunno.

I suspect none of us here have ever gotten drunk in a local pub and worn a "sanitary napkin" on our head, and played the "Don't you know who I am?!?" celebrity card to a waitress.

[www.anecdotage.com]

Posted by: paulr15 ()
Date: July 21, 2008 18:33

boy if i didn't know any better......it almost sounds like some people in here knew Lennon personally or maybe just believed everything they read???

NOSF???

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: July 21, 2008 18:52

Gee Elmo, I'm a little surprised you said that.
Just because someone critizes the Stones doesn't make them a jerk.
Plus that whole Jesus thing was mis understood.
There's not much I can say about Yoko so I'll leave that one alone.

I suppose if we were all quoted as much as John and others we'd be
mis understood sometimes too.

But based on his songs, I'd have to say John was pretty darn cool....

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: July 21, 2008 18:52

I'm Ringo and I play the drums.
Hello, I'm Paul, and I play the uh uh, bass.
Hi, I'm George and I play a guitar.
I'm John and I too play a guitar. Sometimes I play the fool.

(Intro from The Beatles Live at BBC)

Date: July 21, 2008 19:03

marvpeck
Gee Elmo, I'm a little surprised you said that.
Just because someone critizes the Stones doesn't make them a jerk.
Plus that whole Jesus thing was mis understood.
There's not much I can say about Yoko so I'll leave that one alone.

I suppose if we were all quoted as much as John and others we'd be
mis understood sometimes too.

But based on his songs, I'd have to say John was pretty darn cool....

I was more or less just joking on the "Was Lennon an atheist?" thing. I'm a big Beatles fan. Love John's voice. Robin Zander of Cheap Trick uses a lot of John's styling in his singing (he's one hell of a singer too).

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: July 21, 2008 19:25

ablett

No, the moral of the story should be:

"Don't follow leaders, watch the parking meters."

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 21, 2008 19:27

Lennon was a complex individual partly as a result of his genes, a somewhat disfuncional upbringing and the comsumption of any type of drug he could lay his hand on throughout his adult life.
He claimed to have taken over a 1000 LSD trips (Rolling Stone, 1970 interview). If he'd largely given up acid by 1967 (Mahariji)that's about 2 trips a day.
So he was also prone to exagerration, but I think you get my point.

Despite his protestations about the fame game, he was very competitive, loved and spent the money -Rolls Royces etc and had a self confesssed paranoia. So relationships presented problems. I fancy at the end he didn't really trust anyone. Most people in his path were eventually discarded, an exception being Yoko who in 1975 made a comeback, thanks to Sean.
Ringo was o.k.-he presented no competition and wasn't after his money. Despite being neighbours of both Mick and Keith there isn't much evidence of any contact between them in his last 5 years.
After he left England the quality of his work declined (same for the Stones post 1972?) and in my opinion his only decent job was Walls and Bridges -ironically when he had split from Yoko.
Perhaps that was a help, creativly.

Alber Goldman wrote a controversial book - published around 1988 I think. Quite over the top in many respects but it gives a good outline of what FAME AND THE CELEBRTIY GAME can do - particualrly to a psyche as vulnerable as John's.
What the book doesn't give enough regard to is the tremendous singing voice, an individual and personalised composing style- who had written stuff like Strawberry Fields before?...and of course more conventional but beautiful and almost perfect pieces...In My Life.....Nowhere Man etc.
He had an original talent, was flawed yes, but the world is a lesser place in his absence.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 21, 2008 21:33

Memo From Tina Turner

Yes, he was a jerk.

No, he's "just a jealous guy".winking smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: July 22, 2008 02:23

Oh, OK Elmo...I get it now ....
Kind of had me wondering there...
Had to see winks on line huh?

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: July 22, 2008 06:09

Lennon suffered from some serious Jagger envy.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 22, 2008 10:53

He could be a jerk on occasions. But that can be said of many folks.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: July 22, 2008 11:05

LOGIE
Lennon was a @#$%& genius.

Can't find another way to describe him. He surely wasn't perfect, as he was above everything, human.

Date: July 22, 2008 14:36

Spud
He could be a jerk on occasions. But that can be said of many folks.

Including poor Elmo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2437
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home