Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Steel Wheels Tour Revisited and Compared
Posted by: carlito ()
Date: July 18, 2008 23:39

Recently found the Rolling Stones Video Anthology set I got from a fellow member of this board, with versions of their videos from 67 to 2002 (I think Don't Stop is the last one on there) (When will we see an official version of this? Or even an updated fan version?)

But anyway, I was watching some clips from the Steel Wheels tour; Sad Sad Sad and Ruby Tuesday and I got to thinking about that tour for the first time in awhile. I remember the set list was considered pretty varied for a Stones set list at the time (at least, for the first 1/2 of the show); they were doing stuff they'd never done or hadn't done in years; Angie, Ruby Tuesday, Harlem Shuffle, Undercover, One Hit To The Body, Gimme Shelter, 2000 Light Years, Paint It Black...and that was in stadiums!

Something I noticed in those videos, compared with the next few tours, was that Mick's performance seemed much more theatrical,like he was acting the songs a bit more than really getting into them? Especially compared to the tours that followed?

Re: Steel Wheels Tour Revisited and Compared
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 18, 2008 23:58

carlito
Something I noticed in those videos, compared with the next few tours, was that Mick's performance seemed much more theatrical,like he was acting the songs a bit more than really getting into them? Especially compared to the tours that followed?

Well, Michael Jackson and the unbelievable success of THRILLER seemed to affect to Mick a great deal in the 80's (look the videos, esp. "Too much Blood", of UNDERCOVER, the failed solo career, etc.), almost ruined his career one could even argue, and what we see in Steel Wheels tour is the last reminscant of that influence. An easy theory, but... that was the bloody 80's, but I would say, Michael Jackson in particular, blame him. Jagger's movements during that era are equally natural as his singing in THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-19 00:05 by Doxa.

Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: July 19, 2008 00:17

Steel Wheels Tour

I hate it. sound, looks, performance, but especially the horrible sound!

more explanation to follow, I'm terribly knackered. and please don't lynch me straight away.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: July 19, 2008 00:21

therollingmanu
Steel Wheels Tour

more explanation to follow, I'm terribly knackered. and please don't lynch me straight away.

Not gonna lynch, but that particular tour made me a Stones fan....

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: July 19, 2008 00:31

Great tour, in spite of Matt Clifford and the more "slick" Stones. Keith was on top of his game. Many new and never before-played songs and great shows. Best tour since the "comeback", imo. Why did Keith dump the Music Man Silhoette??

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: July 19, 2008 00:45

therollingmanu
Steel Wheels Tour

I agree 100%, I think the sound was crap, way too clean , their worst tour ever!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: July 19, 2008 00:45

Beat that for an intro!

Great tour. So many on this board started from 89 onwards....

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: July 19, 2008 00:54

I miss Matt Cifford

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: July 19, 2008 01:03

Ever since Europe 1982 we were waiting for 'the come-back' of The Greatest R&R Band In The World.

Well, 1990 was a big big disappointment. And 1995 even worse....Too much show, too smoothy sound.....not the rock&roll guitars we like

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 19, 2008 01:04

albett, is that clip from Live at the max?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-19 23:32 by ryanpow.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: July 19, 2008 01:10

Yeah, great stuff. Don't forget that this was the eighties. Look what The Who were up to???

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: July 19, 2008 01:11

It was a great tour. Bull(*&^% about the horrible sound. I saw two of those shows and the Stones never sounded better. They were well rehearsed and as someone else mentioned, Keith was on top of his game.

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: July 19, 2008 03:48

I loved this tour. Still had Wyman, Keith was on his game & not the poser he has become. Mick was as great as ever. Great song selection. They showed after about 7 years, they were still the greatest rock 'n roll band in the world.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 19, 2008 03:59

loved steel wheels tour, yes it was the begining of the vegas tours but it was terrific for the most part,the 89 -90 version of SMU is the best ever IMO, wonderful setlist as well

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 19, 2008 04:07

The show I saw (Jacksonville) was great. "Miss You", "Rock And A.." and YCAGWYW on Flashpoint are from this show.

Superb stadium sound - "Start Me Up" and "Ruby" in particular. Keith smiled the whole show.

Bonuses included "Harlem" "One Hit" "2000 Light Years". Lots of fun. My first date with my wife. Never noticed Matt Clifford.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 19, 2008 04:08

Oh yeah, unlike some on here, I actually love the Rolling Stones and don't bitch about every little thing. Never seen a bad Stones show.

I'll leave on that.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 19, 2008 04:16

Keith was pretty good on this tour.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 19, 2008 09:26

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 19, 2008 11:34

It is true that it was the beginning of the "Las Vegas" era, but at the time the tour was unique; the band sounded new and fresh and very rehearsed and professional, something never heard before. Nobody knew at the time that the band had found the pattern they would follow for decades to come. And it is also true that Keith was if not top of his game but still very exciting and strong player - who had found new ideas into his playing, etc.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-19 11:35 by Doxa.

Date: July 19, 2008 15:24

Elmo Lewis
The show I saw (Jacksonville) was great. "Miss You", "Rock And A.." and YCAGWYW on Flashpoint are from this show.

Superb stadium sound - "Start Me Up" and "Ruby" in particular. Keith smiled the whole show.

Bonuses included "Harlem" "One Hit" "2000 Light Years". Lots of fun. My first date with my wife. Never noticed Matt Clifford.

You also must have never noticed that One Hit (To The Body) was last performed by the Stones in concert on November 15th,1989 in Miami.The Jacksonville show was in late November that year.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: July 19, 2008 15:27

I thought Voodoo Lounge was way better.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: July 19, 2008 16:12

Keith's solos on this tour were incredible and inspired and haven't been as great on the whole since.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 19, 2008 17:05

On the "undercover of the night" clip Keith, Ron and Mick seem to play on the same guitar model the "Music man silhouette". Never realise that before.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: olorin ()
Date: July 19, 2008 18:49

Never like this tour ! Horrible sound, bad song choice (2000 light years, Ruby Tuesday, Undercover) and bad versions of warhorses (PIB, Satisfaction, MY). I won't criticize over Steel Wheels songs because they were touring to promote them, but Almost Hear You Sigh, Mixed Emotions are not good songs.

At least, I must admit Keith at his best during this tour, fantastic on SFTD at Wembley 1990

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: July 19, 2008 19:22

no complaints about the Steel Wheels tour.
great setlist for a comeback/reunion tour.

..but there were a few things i liked better about
the Voodoo tour. they seemed looser...and played
a few songs that (at the time) I never thought I'd hear
performed live again.

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-20 15:59 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: July 19, 2008 20:48

Great tour, great setlist! I have fond memories of this tour. Keith was very much into it IMO. At least he played. And he played good. What more can you ask for?

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: July 19, 2008 21:06

Right now I'm listening to the excellent "Cold Steel Blue" (Tokyo 1990). The setlist was inspired, but my favorite segment is this chronological sequence after "Happy":

Paint it Black
2000 Light Years From Home
Sympathy for the Devil
Gimme Shelter

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 19, 2008 22:41

Compared to 1981-82 they sounded incredibly excellent for me. I personally have never cared for Roc/Hard Place, Undercover - why they even bothered with that tune is still astounding to me and Ruby Tuesday and Sympathy - well done but it's just not...it's too push button. And some of the set list was by the numbers...but they were doing it, which I think is the point. Better than nothing at all or never again.

I still think the Bridges tour and Licks tour they've sounded their best since Ronnie's being in the band. They've never had the delivery they had with Mick Taylor of course but then I don't expect that - different band. Etc...

And from what all I've heard their worst sounding tours - performance wise - have been the Voodoo tour and the Bang tour. Maybe Voodoo had the most interesting set lists overall. But then again so did Bridges. And Licks was outstanding as far as digging into the ol' treasure chest.

Combine certain tracks from Flashpoint, Stripped (and the live B-sides), No Security, Live Licks and Shine A Light and you've got one hell of a period high lighting live album.

Date: July 20, 2008 03:12

Almost Hear You Sigh is one of the Stones' best ballads.I think they were going for the Pink Floyd effect with 2000 Light Years a song that pre-dates most worthwhile Pink Floyd material.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: July 20, 2008 06:10

I found the stadium sound to be immaculate on both shows I caught that tour. In fact, the stadiums have never sounded as good since.

2000 Light Years was a complete mind-blower. Who would think they would pull something like that out of the bag?

Agree they sounded rehearsed and tight. I felt like they had something to prove having been gone so long. 8 years (in the States). Hell the Beatles formed and broke up in the amount of time the Stones didn't tour!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2090
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home