Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: The Who VH1 Rock Honors
Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: July 18, 2008 07:52

The Pearl Jam performance was a 20 on a 10 scale. Their performance of The Real Me cannot be described in few words.

It would never happen, imagine Pearl Jam's drummer Matt and Jeff the bass player replacing Pino and Zack from The Who. It's a fire in the belly that The Who's current touring lineup needs.

Re: OT: The Who VH1 Rock Honors
Posted by: ablett ()
Date: July 18, 2008 10:11

I agree.

Pino has this strange nod of his head when he plays! And he's always lower in the mix than the Ox

Zak is good but misses so many fills and doesn't attack the drums. he just 'rolls' around them.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: July 18, 2008 10:44

Is this what you kids are talking about???

PEARL JAM - THE REAL ME - VH1 ROCK HONORS - July 17, 2008

These guys were SO GOOD that it was scary - ROCK ON PJ !!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-18 10:49 by HelterSkelter.

Date: July 18, 2008 10:58

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: July 18, 2008 11:12

Hello,

Gotta say I'm mighty impressed by PJ's efforts there...in particular the vocals and bass were nailed down without question.Awww heck,they were all on it!Goose-bumps time!

Only makes me wish for that bloody time-machine so that I can go back to see the four loons in their prime!

Cheers,

Si.

Date: July 18, 2008 11:14

Yeah. PJ were good.

How on earth did the Ox come up with a lead bass through out the song.

Top stuff.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: July 18, 2008 11:21

Hi Ablett,

Dunno,but I can only think back to JAE's answer to the question posed to him on more than one occasion,

"John,who's your favourite bass-player?"
(cue drag on cigarette for comedic timing)

"Me!"

It was part of his genius,I suppose.He always wanted to stretch himself musically and see where he could go.

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: July 18, 2008 11:22

It is good to see there are "younger" bands that are capable of carrying the torch of the older ones!

Hey hey, my my, rock and roll will never die!

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: July 18, 2008 16:08

I watched this last night.

Pearl Jam was very good.

I also really enjoyed the Tommy performance by the Flaming Lips, I thought that was pretty awesome. I don't know anything about the Flaming Lips, perhaps I'll check them out.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 18, 2008 16:11

trainarollin
The Pearl Jam performance was a 20 on a 10 scale. Their performance of The Real Me cannot be described in few words.

It would never happen, imagine Pearl Jam's drummer Matt and Jeff the bass player replacing Pino and Zack from The Who. It's a fire in the belly that The Who's current touring lineup needs.

If anyone in the Who needs to be replaced, it's Roger. He just CAN NOT cut it anymore. I enjoyed much of the program last night, but couldn't help feeling that the Who were blown off the stage by the groups paying tribute to them. I found the performance of the Who themselves to be anti-climatic and boring.

Date: July 18, 2008 16:29

tatters
If anyone in the Who needs to be replaced, it's Roger. He just CAN NOT cut it anymore.

I noticed Roger seemed to be struggling a bit also. Oh well, they're getting older, it's still better than if they didn't perform at all.

Date: July 18, 2008 16:36

CindyC
tatters
If anyone in the Who needs to be replaced, it's Roger. He just CAN NOT cut it anymore.

I noticed Roger seemed to be struggling a bit also. Oh well, they're getting older, it's still better than if they didn't perform at all.

He blew his voice out on the 1989 tour and has been struggling ever since. Incredibly, he talked last night about how he saw no reason why he and Pete couldn't keep performing until they're 90.

Date: July 18, 2008 16:38

well if people still want to pay to hear them, knowing what they're getting, then who am I to complain.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: July 18, 2008 16:38

The OX was stunning on Bass back in the day.

Roger's vocals have sadly seemed off to me the last several years.

The current lineup of The Who features IMHO the best drummer in rock these day, Zak Starkey. Pino on Bass is pretty darn good too!

Agreed about PJ's performance.....very good!

I enjoyed the Flaming Lips too.....I did not know who they were before this performance.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 18, 2008 16:39

They should really call themselves The Two nowadays. And if Roger goes then the song I'm One will have a whole new meaning.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 18, 2008 16:55

tatters said:

If anyone in the Who needs to be replaced, it's Roger. He just CAN NOT cut it anymore. I enjoyed much of the program last night, but couldn't help feeling that the Who were blown off the stage by the groups paying tribute to them. I found the performance of the Who themselves to be anti-climatic and boring.

yes, roger has struggled with his vocals, but he is still roger and you dont replace him, much like you dont replace mick or keith and the others.

but to say they are boring -- when was the last time u saw the who live, tatters? I saw them twice last year and I thought they were great, including zac (who is very keith like) and pino (who i think is finally settling into the band).

But especially Townshend -- he still plays very intensely, not the best word, I would say possessed at times, still windmilling and jumping about quite a bit and when he gets into a guitar piece, he just goes on and carries it into its, or his, own world.

Also, dont forget this was their first performance since last July I believe, about a year. Might be a little different than if you caught them mid tour.

plexi

Date: July 18, 2008 17:07

timbernardis

but to say they are boring -- when was the last time u saw the who live, tatters?

I saw them a couple times in 2002. I bought the tickets when John was still alive, and went anyway because, like a lot of people, I was curious to see what they could do without him and, I really did believe they would put the Who to bed forever when the tour was over. I thought they were very good, but it wasn't the Who, not any more than Wings was the Beatles, and the audio and video evidence I've seen and heard from 2004 and 2006 suggests they weren't even as good then as they were in 2002.

Date: July 18, 2008 17:11

Check out Glastonbury and deny that they are superb....

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: July 18, 2008 17:11

tatters
CindyC
tatters

He blew his voice out on the 1989 tour and has been struggling ever since. Incredibly, he talked last night about how he saw no reason why he and Pete couldn't keep performing until they're 90.

actually he said something more like...as long as pete can still play and i can still sing, we could do it when we're 90...we just wouldn't look too good doing it.
(not an exact quote)

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: July 18, 2008 17:12

albett - I told you PJ was a great live band they even got you ROCKIN

play that guitar boy

Date: July 18, 2008 17:22

Doing a cover of someone elses track? Great!!

There stuff is still a load of shoe gazing morbid tosh!

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: July 18, 2008 17:41

Dare i say pearl jam stole the show? OMG, love reign over me, holy sh*t that was incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the other bands looked and sounded silly compared to these guys. . . but its not really fair PJ has down a bunch of Who covers throughout the years, I mean they have pretty much taken over Baba . . .

Date: July 18, 2008 17:50

NorthShoreBlues2
Dare i say pearl jam stole the show? OMG, love reign over me, holy sh*t that was incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the other bands looked and sounded silly compared to these guys. . . but its not really fair PJ has down a bunch of Who covers throughout the years, I mean they have pretty much taken over Baba . . .

I wouldn't describe the Flaming Lips performance as silly at all, I thought it was great, very inspired.

Where is the "North Shore" that you refer to in your name? I'm from the North Shore of Boston.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: July 18, 2008 18:01

Townsend is amazing. What do you think Keith thinks as he watches Peter melt away the years?

Date: July 18, 2008 18:05

CindyC
NorthShoreBlues2

I wouldn't describe the Flaming Lips performance as silly at all, I thought it was great, very inspired.

Where is the "North Shore" that you refer to in your name? I'm from the North Shore of Boston.

Yes, maybe "silly" was to harsh a term, but my feeling was that PJ's performance was great and certainly my most favorite of the night, and i know its all tastes and preferences, etc. But to answer your question, yes indeed, the North Shore of . . . BOSTON!!

Date: July 18, 2008 18:08

NorthShoreBlues2
But to answer your question, yes indeed, the North Shore of . . . BOSTON!!

Oh cool! What city?

Date: July 18, 2008 18:09

CindyC
NorthShoreBlues2
But to answer your question, yes indeed, the North Shore of . . . BOSTON!!

Oh cool! What city?

Salem, how about yourself?

Date: July 18, 2008 18:12

No way - I grew up in Salem!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-18 21:22 by CindyC.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: July 18, 2008 20:29

The Who are making a mistake. Look at their schedule, Roger can't do 2 shows in a row..yet they have some dates back to back. Even Aerosmith takes a day off between each show. Van Halen did the same this past tour.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: July 18, 2008 20:34

That was one smokin' version of the Real Me. Pearl Jam nailed that one.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 847
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home