Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: OT: Belgian beer brewer to take over Bud
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 15, 2008 09:25

Doxa
haa... Ryanpow discovered the same analogy as I did!

- Doxa

because of our posts, this thread is no longer OT.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: July 15, 2008 09:53

harlito1969
Natlanta
Anheuser-Busch owns half of Grupo Modelo. Does that mean Mexicans are 50% lazier than Americans?

Really? They own Modelo? Good stuff.

Yes, they own half of it (Corona and some others). I've read that Grupo Modelo can block the deal or buy their way out it.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 15, 2008 10:04

I prefer Rolling Rock. I suppose that makes me an even bigger wuss than the Bud drinkers ;^)

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: July 15, 2008 10:30

Doxa
I have a theory why Budweiser (the American, not the great Budvar from Chezk) is the most sold 'beer' in the world: it is for the people who actually don't like the taste of beer,
- Doxa

That's a very good theory. I wouldn't say that they don't like beer though but just want to drink something else than water

Posted by: Simon ()
Date: July 15, 2008 11:12

Doxa
I have a theory why Budweiser (the American, not the great Budvar from Chezk) is the most sold 'beer' in the world: it is for the people who actually don't like the taste of beer, but still think it is to cool drink it (namely, Bud doesn't taste like beer). This is the most rational argument I have for its success. It has also some empirical base: it was the beer with which I 'learned' drinking beer - the taste I just didn't like in the first place (impossible to imagine now...).

- Doxa

In my opinion the same over here with becks. tastes like water, makes a horrible hangover, even after a few bottles.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 15, 2008 11:25

Simon
Doxa
I have a theory why Budweiser (the American, not the great Budvar from Chezk) is the most sold 'beer' in the world: it is for the people who actually don't like the taste of beer, but still think it is to cool drink it (namely, Bud doesn't taste like beer). This is the most rational argument I have for its success. It has also some empirical base: it was the beer with which I 'learned' drinking beer - the taste I just didn't like in the first place (impossible to imagine now...).

- Doxa

In my opinion the same over here with becks. tastes like water, makes a horrible hangover, even after a few bottles.

yes, I know what you mean. I only drink that stuff under a hot sun, in Mediterrean terrace, or in an aeroplane when there is nothing else (you see, I happen to be VERY thirsty quite often...). The same goes for many other international imported 'most sold beers', such as Foster's, etc. But even in that category, Bud is the absolute king of them all as far as not tasting like beer goes.

- Doxa

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: July 15, 2008 11:28

Bud's revolting. I never go near that dishwater shite. Budwar's the only Bud I drink. And if we're talking American beer - Sam Adams all the way.

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: July 15, 2008 12:12

aslecs
Europe takes like 3 months a year off

Ehm... well... ...whatever you want the truth to be, I'm not going to rob you of an apparently popular party soundbite...

Jelle

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 15, 2008 12:55

Budweiser does have one redeeming quality. They tend to have some of the funniest TV adverts:

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 15, 2008 13:51

Harm
TooTough
ryanpow
bud gives me a bad hangover.

The only beer I never had a hangover after 6 cans.

Because it's almost water

That´s what I was trying to say. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: July 15, 2008 14:48

Most popular and BEST beer in the world? > Budweiser!

Bets band in the world > The Stones!

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: July 15, 2008 14:52

Bud would make a good weed brand. Bud Weed.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 15, 2008 14:55

Harm
TooTough
ryanpow
bud gives me a bad hangover.

The only beer I never had a hangover after 6 cans.

Because it's almost water

And there is even Bud Lite - can you imagine what that tastes like? thumbs downthumbs down

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 15, 2008 15:06

I know of inbev. They are responsible for some truly atrocious beers. Now they've added another to this list. How long before they go the whole hog and take over Coors eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-15 15:08 by Big Al.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 15, 2008 15:09

It should be possible to talk about beer without freaking out about politics and starting WW III. Beer is part of life and touring. When I saw the last show of the 1994 tour in Seattle there were large banners all over Seattle saying something like "Budweiser presents final Stones show in USA". Whenever there is a Stones show there is a beer truck and a sponsor nearby.

As Budweiser is the most sold beer in USA it is for sure worth manufacturing it. Personally I love it. It is 5% alcohol so you may still get drunk if that is the point. I have been on brewery tours to Anheuser-Busch in St Louis MO two times and Columbus OH one time, and nothing beats a 1-2 days old fresh brewed bud when it is ice cold, for my taste. Then I love Guinnes as a dark beer when I am in Dublin, or John Smiths or some of the other bitter brands when I am in England. In Belgium I used to have Stella Artois, but no more after the 2007 rehearsals, when I got to learn the special trappistes beers you see below (thanks Bart!).

I did not know that the beer we had in Argentina - Quilmes - were InBev, but nothing is surprising me anymore regarding beer consortiums. When the Stones played in Hong Kong November 2003 the "beer on site" was Danish Carlsberg by jars, one of the other large consortiums. Personally I avoid them because I don't like consortiums. But they have bought up most breweries so it's hard to avoid them.

I just thought it would be interesting to know who you were buying beer from next time you went to the bar or pub or show or game or whatever...

Bjornulf

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 15, 2008 17:01

Here in the UK we have a brewery called Green King. They seem to take over everything. Pubs, bars, brewers. It is indeed always interesting to know where you beer is coming from.

I actually do quite like some of the imported bottled beers available here in the UK. What I don't like, are the keg lagers/bitters that get served up in nearly every pub over here. They're full of nitrogen gasses and fizzed up with Co2. They have no 'life' as such and imo, are flavourless.

I'm sure that a pint of Stella Artois tastes very different in Belgium or France, compared to over here.

Posted by: brainer ()
Date: July 15, 2008 19:38

Chimay is the best. Cheers bv smileys with beer

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: July 15, 2008 20:01

Next week I'll be drinking a few Giunnesses in Dublin
Hail hail rock'n'roll smileys with beer

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 15, 2008 21:07

Some great trapisten labels ya got there, bv! smiling smiley

Date: July 15, 2008 21:09

Bud is the best (admit it!)

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: July 15, 2008 23:39

aslecs
Bud is the best (admit it!)
I'd be lying if did...

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: July 16, 2008 07:40

Bud and all Anheuser-Busch beverages are just swill. No taste at all.

If I'm drinking an American beer, I'd prefer that it be one of our fine microbreweries.

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: July 16, 2008 08:09

Years ago in Canada when talking about this drink they call "Bud" (or similar), people would correct you when you said the word "beer". A less-flattering phrase was substituted, referring to the by-product produced 30 minutes later.

Now however there's Sam Adams, so we have a new respect for American beers. The big companies (Guinness, Heineken) still produce a fine product, but I find that the smaller local breweries - where they care about quality over profits - have most of major brands beat.

If you ever get the chance, try a Phillips IPA from Victoria BC Canada. It comes with a warning label "May contain more hops that you can handle. Discretion advised"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-16 08:09 by Angus MacBagpipe.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 16, 2008 08:16

Bud, Miller, Coors….I can’t drink any of those. Give me a Heineken, Czechvar, Harps, Carlsberg, Sam Adams or just about any Summer Blonde Ale and that will work for me.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 16, 2008 08:21

Next thing you know, some Dutch Cannabis Conglomerate will be taking over all the US pot ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-16 08:21 by schillid.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 16, 2008 10:36

Abita.

Best beer in the United States without a doubt. Well, not ALL of their beers. Abita Amber, Golden, Red Ale, X-mas Ale, Pecan and even the Strawberry is great. The rest of it stinks.

Which is a lot more than Bug - HA! Bug! Budwieser and Miller COMBINED.

Posted by: wesley ()
Date: July 16, 2008 12:39

Harm
Next week I'll be drinking a few Giunnesses in Dublin
Hail hail rock'n'roll smileys with beer

Guinness is good for you! I already spent some two weeks in Ireland. What a shame that here in my hometown the only way to have Guinness is from the can, it´s not the same..
Besides Guinness I find the Czheck beers best in the world, Kronenburg, Budvar, Pilsner Urquell to name a few.

Date: July 16, 2008 17:21

sam adams is puke

BUD IS KING!!!! Smooth and tasy!

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: July 16, 2008 17:25

Nanker Phlegm
Try and taste the original Budvar.

That's what I wanted to write - you did it already! A friend of mine brought me one Budweiser from America once. It was not beer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-16 17:27 by Happy24.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: July 16, 2008 17:31

Budweiser = urine de cheval.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1152
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home