Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Paint It Black - Twickenham 2003
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 11, 2008 05:04

Is this the most perfect rendition of this song?
Amazing performance, way better than any 1989-90 or 2006-07 version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-11 05:05 by georgelicks.

Re: Paint It Black - Twickenham 2003
Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: July 11, 2008 09:57

Very nice version, Keith's Strat works here much better than that Electric/Acoustic combo Fender guitar he was using in 1989/1990. They also sounded very good on PIB on the short NO SECURITY 1999 US Arena Tour.....

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 11, 2008 10:48

This is much better than the 89-90 version.

It's in E. I wonder how that played into changing the performance other than Mick having to sing a bit higher (or is it actually lower?) and just having to do the lines Ronnie does 2 steps up. I would think it didn't really.

It sure is fast though.

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: July 11, 2008 12:16

I think is better the Bremen 98 version

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: July 11, 2008 13:55

Bremen 1998 is the best version of Paint It Black I ever heared! From another world!

Posted by: ThatsWhatISay ()
Date: July 11, 2008 15:01

Yes, the Bremen version is just unreal. They must have been on steroids that day.
But I think the 89/90 versions are superb as well.

Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: July 11, 2008 16:03

skipstone
This is much better than the 89-90 version.

It's in E. I wonder how that played into changing the performance other than Mick having to sing a bit higher (or is it actually lower?) and just having to do the lines Ronnie does 2 steps up. I would think it didn't really.

It sure is fast though.

It's basically easier to sing in E. The low notes in D are really low and difficult to sing with enough volume. Mick likes to shout a bit, and that's hard to do because the low notes need to be sung with very little air. So playing it in E results in a more energetic performance.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-11 16:05 by King Snake.

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: July 11, 2008 23:40

Terrific version of 'Paint it Black' at Twickenham 2003.
PIB has become a modern day classic in the guy's setlist since it cameback into the fold in 1989.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 12, 2008 00:44

Charlie's drums are awesome, the whole band is on fire. Since 1989, one of their 3 best performances for sure, hard to top that.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 12, 2008 01:24

I always worry for Charlie on this song...it's obviously not an easy song to play for more than 4 minutes. He's got the bass drum going...he's also got two snares going at the same time. In fact, in all recent performances of this song when the song is over...you can see Charlie do one big CRASH to end it and doesn't make any sound after it. He's that tired. Usually, when a song is over, he does a couple rumbles and crashes and rolls with the drums but after PIB...he has to kinda get his composure back before the next song starts up. So he just practically drops the sticks and catches his breath.

Not an easy song, I feel, for a person in his mid-60's! I wish Mick and Keith could see that it's not that easy and keep the song short and sweet and not prolong it too long.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: July 12, 2008 18:03

King Snake
It's basically easier to sing in E. The low notes in D are really low and difficult to sing with enough volume. Mick likes to shout a bit, and that's hard to do because the low notes need to be sung with very little air. So playing it in E results in a more energetic performance.

It's refreshing to hear from someone who actually knows what they're talking about as far as keys/vocals go. Cheers. smoking smiley

For the record - I think that the version found on the Shine a Light CD smokes any modern-day version. It's the only part of the whole album where Mick's actually using the 'upper register' snarl not seen out of him much since the Webster Hall show.

For me, removal of that awesome Mick voice just... isn't... the Stones.

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-12 18:08 by jamesfdouglas.

Posted by: stein ()
Date: July 12, 2008 23:21

Two killing good versions from Bremen and Twickenham. They have done that one so many times so it is difficult to pick the best ever, but I never forget it from Oslo 2007.

Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: July 13, 2008 08:16

ThatsWhatISay
Yes, the Bremen version is just unreal. They must have been on steroids that day.
But I think the 89/90 versions are superb as well.

hiya, thatswhatisay, sorry, but missed your calls tonight.

true, the bremen version indeed IS the best ever version of PIB. period.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: July 13, 2008 20:31

Great version. The Stones are never better than at home. And Twickenham is the perfect Stadium.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1851
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home