Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: OT - The Who announce US tour
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: July 14, 2008 16:47

a blistering live act, whatever you want to call them.

miss them and miss out.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: July 14, 2008 16:50

Gazza
LOGIE
Excellent!!!

Let's see whether Pauly's cheese-on-toast is all it's made out to be.

He has a great garden, is a magnificent host (as is Ms. Paulywaul) and his fridge is well equipped with beer. One cant ask for more.

After he's got us suitably refreshed we can beat him up for his recent Bruce blasphemies.

In which case, I'll bring my handbag.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: July 14, 2008 16:51

Agree!

Always entertaining and Townshend blew the roof of the place the last time....

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: July 14, 2008 19:45

I attended the VH1 Honors The Who show on Saturday and we got a 1 hour set from The Who. The setlist was Baba O'Riley, The Seeker, Who Are You, Behind Blue Eyes, 2000 Years, You Better You Bet (first 2/3 of song, stopped by Pete due to guitar malfunction), You Better You Bet (full song), My Generation, Won't Get Fooled Again and Tea And Theatre. I think most of these will be included in the VH1 broadcast.

Earlier performers included Foo Fighters doing Young Man Blues and (with guest vocalist Gaz Coombes from Supergrass) Bargain, the Flaming Lips doing a medley of songs from Tommy, Incubus doing I Can See For Miles, Tenacious D doing Squeeze Box and Pearl Jam doing Love Reign O'er Me and The Real Me, as well as Adam Sandler singing a humouros song about The Who and Rain Wilson doing a comedic take on Pinball Wizard.

After the show I talked briefly to Simon Townshend who told me the upcoming tour is to be 20 dates with 16 in the US and the 4 already announced shows in Japan.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: July 15, 2008 03:05

More of the US dates were announced today:

The Who will be touring the USA this fall. Dates include:

Oct. 21 Palace of Auburn Hills, Detroit, MI
Oct. 22 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Ontario
Oct. 24 TD Banknorth Garden, Boston, MA
Oct. 26 Wachovia Center, Philadelphia, PA
Oct. 28 Mohegan Sun Arena, Uncasville, CT
Oct. 29 Izod Center, East Rutherford, NJ
Oct. 31 The Borgata, Atlantic City, NJ
Nov. 3 Verizon Center, Washington, DC
Nov. 8 Nokia Theatre, Los Angeles, CA
Nov. 9 Nokia Theatre, Los Angeles, CA

Based on what Simon Townshend told me, there should be 6 more dates added to the list in time.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 15, 2008 03:36

timbernardis
i would imagine there will not be as much emphasis on Endless Wire on this tour. They usually change things up at least from tour to tour.

I wouldnt worry about the set list anyway with a band of their stature. Like the Stones, I will see them over and over.

p

Well it turns out the dates are Sat.,Sun rather then Fri.,Sat. So that rules out both shows. But I'm in for Sat.thumbs up

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 15, 2008 04:09

What's the price range?

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 15, 2008 05:31

all just east coast shows except LA, hope they do some more later including Denver

p

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 15, 2008 05:57

BluzDude
What's the price range?

$150 with the Ticketbastard charges BD. That put me in the Loge. With the AMEX Pre-Sale. Which I think will be higher than the other 2 times I've been there. But that's cool. I've enjoyed the 2 shows I've seen at the Nokia.

Date: July 15, 2008 23:40

tatters

By the way, you DO know that Brian was a FORMER Rolling Stone at the time of his death, right?

Yes taters, you're right, he was recently exiled from main st to let it bleed following a satifying beggars banquet. tongue sticking out smiley

I saw "The Who Two", "Who's Left","Who's Last" or "Who's Lingering" whichever you prefer...and they are still fantastic! The band's LIVE concert sound is even much better and clearer than back in the day with all four still alive. Partly due to technology and much to maturity. The Who had a notoriously horrible sound mix in the 70's...you're very lucky if you caught them on a good sound mix night.
But the muddy raw sound was indeed part of their charm too.

I'm in Hawaii so L.A. or Tokyo is a possibility for me...hopefully they'll play Honolulu as in 2004 both Daltrey and Townshend told us in the audience they were sorry for not playing Hawaii since 1967 and they'll definitely be back....we'll see how their memory serves us but I sure hope so.

Posted by: kath51 ()
Date: July 15, 2008 23:46

who the f#*# CARES??? it's pete and roger and i hope zak! i hope they come my way sometime near a payday......

and LOL about brian being a "former stone" when he died. good point. anybody counting nicky? were the keyboard players ever considered part of THE BAND???

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: July 15, 2008 23:51

$430.00 for VIP seating. That could be first sections on floor and first couple side sections.

Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: July 16, 2008 07:00

So are what are they promoting? A new cd.

Date: July 16, 2008 07:04

tippy2toes
So are what are they promoting? A new cd.

they are promoting their bank accounts...

pete said he can't write shit anymore... and thats saying something considering the shit he's been writing for the past 25 years.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: July 16, 2008 07:40

I never understood why people thought "You Better You Bet" was a good song?

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: July 16, 2008 08:04

Trainarollin, I agree about You Better You Bet. Its not one of my favorite Who Songs. Off of Face Dances I rather like Dont Let Go the Coat or Another Tricky Day instead. And stoned in washington DC, im gonna defend my favorite group here
"they are promoting their bank accounts", the same applies to the lengthy Bigger Bang tour, which by the end of it the Stones werent even playing any songs from that album. "that says something considering the shit he's been writing for the past 25 years". Have you listened to the stones material in the last 25 years? None of it even comes close to their worst efforts in the 70s. Voodoo Lounge had a good sound to it, but there is nothing on there that I listen to over and over again. Bridges to Babylon? the only good song on there is Saint of Me, and the stones dont even really recognize it anymore. Bigger Bang: a decent album but filled with too much generic rock. It seems lifeless to me. I hope Ive made my point, but i will restate it: Petes writing doesnt come anywhere near his efforts in the 60s and 70s just as the Stones efforts dont come anywhere near there efforts from the say period. However, in both cases there are moments of brilliance in amongst alot of crap.

Date: July 16, 2008 08:13

Happy Jack
Trainarollin, I agree about You Better You Bet. Its not one of my favorite Who Songs. Off of Face Dances I rather like Dont Let Go the Coat or Another Tricky Day instead. And stoned in washington DC, im gonna defend my favorite group here
"they are promoting their bank accounts", the same applies to the lengthy Bigger Bang tour, which by the end of it the Stones werent even playing any songs from that album. "that says something considering the shit he's been writing for the past 25 years". Have you listened to the stones material in the last 25 years? None of it even comes close to their worst efforts in the 70s. Voodoo Lounge had a good sound to it, but there is nothing on there that I listen to over and over again. Bridges to Babylon? the only good song on there is Saint of Me, and the stones dont even really recognize it anymore. Bigger Bang: a decent album but filled with too much generic rock. It seems lifeless to me. I hope Ive made my point, but i will restate it: Petes writing doesnt come anywhere near his efforts in the 60s and 70s just as the Stones efforts dont come anywhere near there efforts from the say period. However, in both cases there are moments of brilliance in amongst alot of crap.

happy jack, please refrain from being offtopic on the offtopic thread of the who... this is not about the stones..

pete has stated- this year- that he cant write anymore cause the stuff he is writing is shit... period end of story.. don't defend the guy when even he is admitting he can't write anymore...

Date: July 16, 2008 15:30

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: July 16, 2008 16:07

stoned in washington dc
Happy Jack

happy jack, please refrain from being offtopic on the offtopic thread of the who... this is not about the stones..

pete has stated- this year- that he cant write anymore cause the stuff he is writing is shit... period end of story.. don't defend the guy when even he is admitting he can't write anymore...

Well if I go to the shows it will be to listen to the music anyway.

Not watch Pete sit at a desk with pen and pad and write songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-16 16:13 by 1cdog.

Date: July 16, 2008 16:31

stoned in washington dc
Happy Jack

It's probably unfair to completely write-off Pete's creativity during the last 25 years, as his trio of solo albums in the early eighties (Empty Glass, Chinese Eyes and White City) were actuallly quite brilliant.

The release of Iron Man (1990?) was perhaps the time when he hit the proverbial brick wall.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 16, 2008 16:36

trainarollin
$430.00 for VIP seating. That could be first sections on floor and first couple side sections.

It's great to see all the old faces down front

--Peter Townshend

You get poor and they get rich
Don't be a sucker

--John Entwistle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-17 16:03 by tatters.

Date: July 16, 2008 16:40

Some of Iron Man was good, so to with Psychoderelict.

Endless Wire had some fine moments.

Date: July 16, 2008 16:46

ablett
Some of Iron Man was good, so to with Psychoderelict.

Endless Wire had some fine moments.

Yes, there were moments; especially Im Not Gonna Run Anymore and English Boy.

Endless Wire was a great album.

Date: July 16, 2008 16:52

tatters
trainarollin

"It's great to see all the old faces down front"

--Peter Townshend

"Don't be a sucker"

--John Entwistle

...and here's one I took of the first few rows of the Stones O2 audience back in August of last year. Some IORReans here will recognise a few of the old faces:

...or should that be the SAME OLD faces?

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: July 16, 2008 17:42

^^^ That's a hoot! ^^^

As for recent studio stuff I have really enjoyed listening to "Endless Wire."

Date: July 16, 2008 18:02

Tea and Theatre is one of their best for a long time.....

Date: July 16, 2008 18:30

ablett
Tea and Theatre is one of their best for a long time.....

Are you talking about the Rattlesnake Club or that brilliant accoustic track off of Endless Wire?

Date: July 16, 2008 18:32

Endless Wire sweet cheeks!

Date: July 16, 2008 18:35

...saucy!!

Date: July 16, 2008 18:51

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 946
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home