Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Studio "miss you" vs. Live "miss you"
Posted by: jhat111 ()
Date: July 10, 2008 06:32

I find myself enjoying Miss You when I hear it played on the radio in it's studio format but don't care if i ever hear it again in it's live form....whether it's in person or on a live recording...anyone else feel this way...?

Re: Studio "miss you" vs. Live "miss you"
Date: July 10, 2008 06:42

Sometimes but,I suppose that it depends on which live version(s) that you're dealing with.

Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: July 10, 2008 07:12

Funny u mention this, I thought about the same thing a couple of days ago.
personally, I don't care about the studio version too much but I love the 78 and bigger bang tour live versions without the horns.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 10, 2008 08:27

The best MY versions are from 1978, listen to the hi-hat...

The 10 minute Miss You studio outtake is one of my favourite jams.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 10, 2008 08:37

The long version is the best one, with the unedited lyrics....although the UK edit on Jump Back (and whatever other comp it's on, Forty Licks?) without the sax is good because it's short.

But I could do without ever hearing it again - ever - period.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: July 10, 2008 11:15

Miss you is the only song I always pray not to be part of the setlist. Sadly I have heard it twice (and I have seen 3 shows). I would take any other song. I can not say exactly why but I don't like the song at all and I never did. I don't have this problem with any other RS song. Strange.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 10, 2008 11:30

Miss You in the 78 and 81/82 tours was the highlight of the tour.

For one reason or the other in the following tours it lost power. And I truly don't understand the reason why. When I listen to undercover on SAL, I just wonder why can't they play Miss You the same way.

C

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 10, 2008 12:30

Been sick of Miss You live since the mid 90s. It is the inevitable mid point before the B-stage rolls out and we all know it. It annoys me as much as hearing Start Me up as the first song. It's all become a little too predictable now but we've talked about this on another thread recently.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 10, 2008 12:34

Not a fan of either studio or live takes of this sonmg in all honesty. I've tried. I'm slightly baffled as to how it was such a big hit.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: July 10, 2008 12:37

i love it whe it's played in a club. it's such a fantastic disco track and so dancy. icredibly groovy.
but i don't like it when played live either...

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: July 10, 2008 12:40

<<The best MY versions are from 1978, listen to the hi-hat...>>

...and Bill's playing on those '78 live versions.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 10, 2008 12:42

It is their last number one hit in US, isn't it? It is thought to be one of their biggest songs, one of the last 'classics', but could it be the case that its attraction is quite limited to it own time frame. It is not is not a song the people - the 'masses' - seem to be very excited when it is played live. But Jagger seem to very attracted to the song - he seems to believe that IT is one of their 'big' songs. Namely, he played the song in Live Aid, and in a concert for NYC in 2001.

I have always loved the swing of the studio version, and it surely is one of the strongest and most distinguished cuts in the second disc of FORTY LICKS, but to be true, it is one of those live tracks I could live without.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-10 12:44 by Doxa.

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: July 10, 2008 13:11

78-82 live versions are the best!
studio version is great too

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 10, 2008 15:03

the studio version is red hot because of sugar blue harp

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: July 10, 2008 15:09

its definately my piss break during the show. I dont think they even play it with any emotion anymore. Its one of those songs were there is tremendous posing. Dunp it for good.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: July 10, 2008 15:45

Never particularly liked the song, although the 1978 live versions were generally quite good.

Basically, it's a repetitive and boring tune, and very, very dated.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 10, 2008 16:15

I liked Miss You a lot when it was fresh in 78 but now I'm another one that is not dissapointed in the least when they omit it. I enjoyed when it was replaced with Under My Thumb on some shows. Its a song I just have grown not to like much(like Start Me Up-thats another one I hate to hear the intro coming) but thats just me . I know theres LOTS of people that want to hear it, I'm sure some of my favs are not others.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: July 10, 2008 16:52

at the risk of sounding provacative....I like the Flashpoint version....a little faster with a harder edge.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: July 10, 2008 17:06

I like the studio version but head to the bathroom when they play it live. Waste of space!

Posted by: David700 ()
Date: July 10, 2008 17:46

I believe it was the 1999 version at the skydome/rogers enormodome in toronto was wonderful, jaggers vocal performance was fantastic and he did this scat vocal thing blew my mind!
(i could have the show wrong the 90s shows are now just a blur.....)

Date: July 10, 2008 18:43

David700
I believe it was the 1999 version at the skydome/rogers enormodome in toronto was wonderful, jaggers vocal performance was fantastic and he did this scat vocal thing blew my mind!
(i could have the show wrong the 90s shows are now just a blur.....)

You must have the show wrong as Miss You was not performed in 1999 and they didn't play the Rogers/Sky Dome in 1999.That year it was all arenas in North America (No Security Tour).1998 perhaps?

Posted by: terry ()
Date: July 10, 2008 18:50

I love the long studio version, cant stand it live, seems a mess live nowadays.Its just been over done live.

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: July 10, 2008 19:13

Barn Owl
Never particularly liked the song, although the 1978 live versions were generally quite good.

Basically, it's a repetitive and boring tune, and very, very dated.

gotta desagree smiling smiley

just listen to the disco version in rarities, that is quite longer.
To me its fantastic how that song never gets repetitive and boring, even if there isnt (a part that short "chorus) a change of chords or riff. And then, it doesnt sounds dated, the whole Some Girls album sounds very modern, and this year it's 30!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-10 19:14 by farawayeyes2.

Date: July 10, 2008 19:53

I do like the Flashpoint version. It's crisp. The only thing that sucks about it is little Matt is playing the harmonica with the keyboard. It sounds terrible.

I like how Ronnie goes off in it. Seventh Of July is good too. They've done it really slow since then. I was watching some videos of Under My Thumb from Bang - what happened to the Stones? Who was actually touring during Bang?

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: July 10, 2008 20:01

The song takes me back to the 70's. For me, The Stones took a musical turn that I wasn't really diggin'.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: July 11, 2008 15:14

The studio version was fine, as were the 1978-90 versions and the B-stage versions since 2002. They kept it relatively short and to the point, with less posturing in the middle section.

However, it was awful when they turned it into a Vegas show number on the Voodoo Lounge tour and kept it that way through Bridges to Babylon. I suspect much of people's aversion to Miss You has to do with bad memories of the Vegas show number arrangement.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 11, 2008 21:11

If I remember it well Mick Taylor played on the studioversion.
(An audiance with Mick Taylor) Don't nail me on it.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 11, 2008 21:12

jhat111
I find myself enjoying Miss You when I hear it played on the radio in it's studio format but don't care if i ever hear it again in it's live form....whether it's in person or on a live recording...anyone else feel this way...?

Yes. The studio version is absolutely fantastic (with one of the greatest performances of Bill's career) - I think its greatness has been diluted by many on here because they're so sick to death of the way its been played to death over the last 20 years or so. The BTB versions, which seemed to get longer as the tour progressed to the extent where it seemed to last for 3 days, were the absolute pits.

Agree with baxlap - in the rare occasions when they played it on Licks, it worked quite well, without all the frills and dead weight.

Date: July 11, 2008 21:49

No matter - another war horse that should be laid - and kept in the ground - to rest forever.

Posted by: bumbum ()
Date: July 12, 2008 00:03

"If I remember it well Mick Taylor played on the studioversion.
(An audiance with Mick Taylor) Don't nail me on it."

Most parts were already done by Brian on the keyboard of the Mellotron - the thing with Billy P is complete nonsens.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2254
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home