Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

wine and the Stones
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 8, 2008 04:06

many references to wine in Stones' lyrics. The most intriguing to me is in 'Sweet Virginia'...the reference to California wine; interesting because in America at that time, hardly anyone cared much about wine, certainly not like now. And the wines of California were mostly unknown until the famous blind tasting in 1976 with the great French wines, at which the California wines were chosen over the French, pretty much upsetting the wine world at the time...
great lyrics, great wine!

Re: wine and the Stones
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 8, 2008 04:11

Best wine I ever had I bought at a store in Bayeux during a trip to Normandy, and it was only something like 15-20 euros.
It was a pinot noir and I don't remember the name, but I searched the internet for a U.S. distributor. None to be found.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 8, 2008 04:29

the lyric from sweet virginia must have been based on personal experience. They stayaed out in CA for a while in '69 and probably had some ca wines with Grahm Parsons or somebody.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-08 04:30 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 8, 2008 04:50

Some cider vinegar and some elderberry wine
May cure all your ills but it can't cure mine

I gotta tell ya that Cider Vinegar is a magic cure...

Great for Indigestion..........If your one of them eating folks

ROCKMAN

Date: July 8, 2008 04:56

have to say I am one of them eating folks...

is Cider Vinegar something that originated in New Orleans?

Date: July 8, 2008 04:57

Maybe more like the Garden Of Eden....!!!!!!!!!!

ROCKMAN

Date: July 8, 2008 05:00

Hey well I wasn't that far out there.......

Here's a bit from Wiki....

Vinegar has been made and used by people for thousands of years. Traces of it have been found in Egyptian urns from around 3000 BC. In the Bible, it is mentioned as something not very pleasant (Ps. 69:21, Prov. 25:20), but Boaz allows Ruth to "dip her piece of bread in the vinegar" (Ruth 2:14). Nazirites, on the other hand, were not allowed to drink either wine vinegar or malt vinegar. Jesus was offered vinegar or sour wine while on the cross (Matthew 27:48; Mark 15:36). Louis Pasteur showed in 1864 that vinegar results from a natural fermentation process

ROCKMAN

Date: July 8, 2008 05:01

there should be a restaurant called 'Garden of Eatin'

ow!!

Date: July 8, 2008 05:05

Gooood one duke ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 8, 2008 05:15

duke richardson
there should be a restaurant called 'Garden of Eatin'

ow!!

There ya go:

Bush's Garden Of Eating
3955 Woodward Ave, Detroit, MI, 48201
(313) 831-6711

Average entree is $9.95.

Average entree is $9.95.
Tags: restaurant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Creator: oddity

There's one in Down-under aswell

[www.miettas.com.au]

[events.detnews.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-08 05:19 by open-g.

Date: July 8, 2008 05:20

!! Bush's !! Garden of Eating!

eh heh heh heh

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 8, 2008 05:20

Wine was the drink of the "freaks" in texas in the 70s-Boones Farms and of course the great "Thunderbird"(which zztop made famous on the fandango album). Quality sh-t, Thunderbird. Cost ya at least $1.99 for a half gallon!!

Date: July 8, 2008 05:29

Hi scottkeef, that Boones Farm Strawberry Hill was the perfect date wine back in the day! I don't even remember how much it cost, but it was well worth it a few times,

you probably know the verse about Thunderbird that begins: 'What's the word?'...

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 8, 2008 05:34

Yeah, I'm one of "all them kids in Texas..." thats 6'4"! So it must work. But that Strawberry Hill sure tasted fine after some hash or thai-stick! Yee-hawh!!

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 8, 2008 12:59

Pizza & Boone's Farm! Now that's the makings for a hot date!

Date: July 8, 2008 13:03

oooowww two chicks...pizza...2 gas-meters ... that's EX-plosive

ROCKMAN

Date: July 8, 2008 13:12

Rockman
Hey well I wasn't that far out there.......

Here's a bit from Wiki....

Vinegar has been made and used by people for thousands of years. Traces of it have been found in Egyptian urns from around 3000 BC. In the Bible, it is mentioned as something not very pleasant (Ps. 69:21, Prov. 25:20), but Boaz allows Ruth to "dip her piece of bread in the vinegar" (Ruth 2:14). Nazirites, on the other hand, were not allowed to drink either wine vinegar or malt vinegar. Jesus was offered vinegar or sour wine while on the cross (Matthew 27:48; Mark 15:36). Louis Pasteur showed in 1864 that vinegar results from a natural fermentation process

Here endeth the first lesson.....thanks for that Reverend Rockman, most informative!

Date: July 8, 2008 13:18

You can call me Rev .... Like red line 5000RPM....Rev

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: July 8, 2008 13:35

There's this story of Mick and Keith and some other people, while on tour in the US in the 70s... They had booked a table at a very fancy, posh, hip restaurant with a brilliant wine cellar. Mick was proud to take his pal and his business contacts there.
The sommelièr brought them a bottle that Mick had carefully chosen. A very rare Bordeaux, the last of it's kind in this restaurant's wine cellar. (I think I remember it being a Lafitte Rotschild, but the vintage and details... Sorry)
Keith had just come back from the rest room when the sommelièr proudly, and with a bit of awe, opened the bottle. Keith grabbed it immediately. Drank almost half of it, without removing it from his mouth.
Then, with a big grin: -Mmm great stuff! Let's have four bottles of this one!

I wasn't there, and I can't prove this story is true. But I've read it and a friend who's also a hard core fan, told me the story, quoting another source. Take it for what it is - a funny episode that just might have happened.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: July 8, 2008 13:37

i like a good setlist whine..

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 8, 2008 13:50

Adrian-L
i like a good setlist whine..

yeah, but it's a bad season this year.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 8, 2008 13:59

ryanpow
the lyric from sweet virginia must have been based on personal experience. They stayaed out in CA for a while in '69 and probably had some ca wines with Grahm Parsons or somebody.

Actually The Stones treated LA almost as their second home much earlier. The Hollywood RCA studio was their main studio from early-65 to late-66. They recorded all the big singles from "Satisfaction" to "Paint It Black" there, almost all of OUT OF HEADS (and DECEMBER'S CHILDREN), the whole AFTERMATH, and some songs of BETWEEN THE BUTTON and FLOWERS. In ALO's 2STONED book there is a good description of those times how the Stones were the 'hip' center of music scene there at the time. One was is to say that in those big 'pop' years, there is a certain Californian flavor in their music. And I guess there was among the busy work possibilities to taste the local wine...

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-08 14:02 by Doxa.

Date: July 8, 2008 14:07

>Take it for what it is - a funny episode that just might have happened.<

thanks for the story, Addicted!
and another wine-Stones 'connection": the name of Keith's other band...

ah, women wine and song.

also from "Saint Of Me":
augustin knew temptation, he loved women, wine and song/ and all the special pleasures/ of doing something wrong

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 8, 2008 22:21

Doxa
ryanpow

Actually The Stones treated LA almost as their second home much earlier. The Hollywood RCA studio was their main studio from early-65 to late-66. They recorded all the big singles from "Satisfaction" to "Paint It Black" there, almost all of OUT OF HEADS (and DECEMBER'S CHILDREN), the whole AFTERMATH, and some songs of BETWEEN THE BUTTON and FLOWERS. In ALO's 2STONED book there is a good description of those times how the Stones were the 'hip' center of music scene there at the time. One was is to say that in those big 'pop' years, there is a certain Californian flavor in their music. And I guess there was among the busy work possibilities to taste the local wine...

- Doxa

yes yes, I know they were out in LA in the mid 60's as well. Since Sweet Virginia is a country song It makes me think of Grahm. And they hung with him during their time in California in 69. Sweet Virgininia wasn't recorded that much later so it makes me think the lyrics were inspired by their more recent visit. That ALO book sounds interesting, Id like to check it out some time.

Date: July 9, 2008 13:04

ryanpow
Doxa
ryanpow

- Doxa

yes yes, I know they were out in LA in the mid 60's as well. Since Sweet Virginia is a country song It makes me think of Grahm. And they hung with him during their time in California in 69. Sweet Virgininia wasn't recorded that much later so it makes me think the lyrics were inspired by their more recent visit. That ALO book sounds interesting, Id like to check it out some time.

Yes, that's a good connection to recognize. (And isn't it that of whole EXILE songs, "Sweet Virginia" is the only one Gram somehow contributed? Singing background vocals or something?)

- Doxa

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 9, 2008 13:41

Let's not forget Blood Red Wine

Mmm...dear, I love you dearly, but don't forget trouble I,
used to find, and it was, in your mind...yeah

I got red blood, and I got blood red wine Which I bring you,
when the snow is heavy on the ground If you say where go
I'll just, wrap my cloak around

You say that every man you ever had Has been obsessed
with you and I, wanna prove an exception To the role, that
you lay down Babe, please don't make me cry, 'cause
there's a little pain inside..iide Yes my darling now you can't
expect me always to hide

I got red blood, and I got, blood red wine Which I bring you
when the snow lies heavy on the ground If you say we'll go
Why-ow... let me, let me, wrap my coat around

Yeah, that's right You see that every time well the lines must
rhyme And every verse, be in the same old time Does it all,
have to rhyme? But there go, and that's a place that you will
never... You said to remind of the girl I used to know, and
used to love, yeah

I got red blood, and I got blood red wine Which I bring you,
when the snow lies heavy on the ground If, you get cold I, oh
wrap my, coat, coat around My, my, my, my don't you stay,
on that, that snowy ground...

Date: July 9, 2008 13:53

Now, there is another reference to wine, maybe to Californian one, too grinning smiley...:

"Now if you see me drinking bad red wine
Don't worry about this man that you love
Don't you think it's sometimes wise not to grow up?"

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-09 13:54 by Doxa.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: July 9, 2008 14:03

And I don't need no fancy food and I don't need no fancy wine
And I sure don't need the tears you cry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1344
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home