Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Fancy Man Blues
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: July 6, 2008 20:58

Wow, do I love this track. Such a PERFECT sound to it ... the guitars, the harp. And what a seductive groove, Charlie right in the pocket along with Bill. Mick's vocal, channeling the great bluesmen from the past. Phenomenal lyrics. Keith and Ronnie never sounding better.

An overlooked masterpiece, if you ask me.

Drew

Re: Fancy Man Blues
Posted by: olorin ()
Date: July 6, 2008 21:25

A good B-side ! The kind of song they can compose every morning if they wanted it ! But a good song compared to others from this era !

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 6, 2008 23:01

The snare sound is just f a n t a s t i c!

Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: July 7, 2008 05:38

I think its amazing. Obviously should of been included on the album and done many of these type tunes since 89. This song has it all. MEZ

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 7, 2008 08:02

olorin
A good B-side ! The kind of song they can compose every morning if they wanted it ! But a good song compared to others from this era ![/quote

GIVE US AN ALBUM full of these songs the kind they can compose every morning and we will have ANOTHER CLASSIC GREAT ALBUM!!!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 7, 2008 14:30

YES!

This is what I'm talking about. Make a blues album. Half comp - Fancy, Cook, Honest I Do, those tracks, the B-sides, and then some new covers or originals.

Or a whole new album and then a blues comp.

Come on. That would be excellent. Fancy Man is excellent. Possibly their best B-side ever.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 7, 2008 14:45

Theres a very good outtake of it on those Steel Wheels Monitor Mixes sessions

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 7, 2008 15:12

think of how much better ABB would have been with the inclusion of fancy man blues and the deletion of back of my hand !

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 7, 2008 15:16

The Greek
think of how much better ABB would have been with the inclusion of fancy man blues and the deletion of back of my hand !

bs

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 7, 2008 15:23

think of how much better ABB would
have been with the inclusion of fancy man blues...

But Fancy Man is from 1989

ROCKMAN

Date: July 7, 2008 18:15

Back Of My Hand
The Storm
Jump On Top Of Me
Fancy Man Blues
Cook Cook Blues
Slave
Honest I Do - Stripped
The Spider And The Fly - Stripped
Brand New Car
Black Limousine
Might As Well Get Juiced - I know that's stretching it a little...
I Got The Blues
Stop Breaking Down
Down In A Hole
Ventilator Blues

what else...

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 7, 2008 20:00

Hide Your Love

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: July 7, 2008 22:18

"Love In Vain"
"You Gotta Move"
"Parachute Woman"
"Prodigal Son"
"Little Red Rooster"

I love all the stuff listed in the above posts, but I have a special place in my heart for "Fancy Man." A dead-simple blues executed in brilliant fashion, it's the kind of mofo track that an Eric Clapton can only dream about cooking up. That coiled, seething quality is the mark of the true masters...

And when Jagger's post-solo "yeah!" gets comes through his harp and gets all distorted? Might be one of my favorite Stones moments ever.

Date: July 7, 2008 23:49

I was sticking with the post-ABKCO/Decca Records releases...

Well then, there is side 3 of Love You Live...yeah, to include all the 1960s tunes too would be good. What a great comp that would make.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 8, 2008 01:12

Errr....... "Midnight Rambler"? "Two Trains"?

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: July 9, 2008 00:22

Gazza

outtake, per se, or just extended/uncut version?

it's a good song...but really just a by-the-numbers 12-bar blooze...understandable why it didn't make the final album cut, i suppose, although it's better than most of the tunes on SW....

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 9, 2008 00:34

T&A
Gazza

it's a good song...but really just a by-the-numbers 12-bar blooze...understandable why it didn't make the final album cut, i suppose, although it's better than most of the tunes on SW....

Havent listened to it in a while, but from what I recall its a different - and longer - take

Posted by: textmonkey ()
Date: July 9, 2008 00:39

as it happens - dammit - i'm listening to it right now, off the 'steel wheels outtakes' tracks which, er, somebody not a million miles away brought to our attention (ta - gaz) and at 6:46, i doubt it could have fitted on a 45 single.

And you know what - it might be a 'by numbers' 12 bar blues track, but if you can execute 12 bar blues with this kind of aplomb, style and sound, it doesn't - really - matter how simple it is. The sound, the tempo, the whole darn shootin' match is quite quite special!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 9, 2008 00:40

Always wondered if Fancy was a Stones tip
of da hat to Muddy Water's .... I Got A Rich Man's Woman ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: July 9, 2008 00:44

Gazza
T&A
Gazza

Havent listened to it in a while, but from what I recall its a different - and longer - take

i think it's the same basic track...maybe i'll spin it tonite to double-check. the stones rarely ever do two completely different takes - at least in the "modern" era....

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: July 9, 2008 02:22

textmonkey
as it happens - dammit - i'm listening to it right now, off the 'steel wheels outtakes' tracks which, er, somebody not a million miles away brought to our attention (ta - gaz) and at 6:46, i doubt it could have fitted on a 45 single.

That's two minutes longer than the official B-side!! Can someone please post it?

Muchas gracias.

Drew

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1451
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home