Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What kind of album would you like The Stones to record next?
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: July 4, 2008 20:23

They should go to Western Indies like Saint Kitts, Antigua, they got good vibes there. I wish to have another kind of Cherry oh or Hey Negrita.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: July 4, 2008 22:34

Let them record something fresh: not too many overdubs, no clean production, etc. More harp, less ballads.

A country/blues ablum, like Gazza suggested would be nice as well. Anything that surprises is welkcome really. I'm expecting another ABB, so anything that has more heart, more soul is very, very welcome.

Also like the less is more comments. I don't need 16 songs, just ten great ones.

Posted by: olorin ()
Date: July 5, 2008 01:11

Something with songs >grinning smiley<

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 5, 2008 01:14

Invite Winos into the studio. Any type styles.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: July 5, 2008 02:32

Jimmie
Quality control: Pick the ten best songs. Forget the fact that a cd can hold up to 80 minutes of music. That doesnt matter if only 20-30 of those minutes are made up of good songs.

Production - The Stones are a rock n roll band right? So why the clean sound that has been on every album since the 80´s.
They should ditch Don Was and get someone younger that can get the dirt from the old guys.

Recording - Every since 1989 they have been saying that they record the way they did in the 60´s. So why can´t we hear it on the records?
Experiment more.. More horns, more percussion.. more unusual things. Stop playing safe.
The ending of "Laugh, I Nearly Died" sounds more like Exile on main street than anything since 1974. More of those cool moments.

They were on a good path with "Voodoo" I think.. you had a flavour of mixed styles that hadn´t been on a stones album for a long time.
Blues, country, hard rock, gospel, reagge, ballads, funk,RnB , soul
Lets bring all those influences back.

Perfectly put. Two more words needed. Rick Rubin.

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: July 5, 2008 07:47

Preferably blues orientated, but not neccessarily 100%, but do it in Mono and on bloody vinyl as well.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 5, 2008 09:36

Reading these coments makes me think that the kind of album everyone wants would be like an Exile Pt 2 - one where they absorb all their influences such as the blues, r'n'b, rock and roll, acoustic country, reggae, ballads, gospel, out and out rockers, even jazz, maybe some rockabilly. I'd personally love a really diverse album as I think the last few have kinda sounded the same - especially ABB. They need more dynamics which would let the album breathe more.

Someone mentioned Rick Rubin as a producer perhaps to sprinkle the same magic he used on Johnny Cash and Neil Diamond. Who else could handle such a high profile job?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-05 11:04 by Silver Dagger.

Date: July 5, 2008 10:34

good one silverdagger

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 5, 2008 10:35

Silver Dagger
Reading these coments makes me think that the kind of album everyone wants would be like an Exile Pt 2 - one were they absorb all their influences such as the blues, r'n'b, rock and roll, acoustic country, reggae, ballads, gospel, out and out rockers, even jazz, maybe some rockabilly. I'd personally love a really diverse album as I think the last few have kinda sounded the same - especially ABB. They need more dynamics which would let the album breathe more.

Someone mentioned Rick Rubin as a producer perhaps to sprinkle the same magic he used on Johnny Cash and Neil Diamond. Who else could handle such a high profile job?

I agree with these ideas. Practical problem is that Rubin and Jagger probably don't feel collaborating any more - which is a shame: the album they did together, is perhaps the strongest since TATTOO YOU: and that exactly was the formula asked here: absorbing all the styles Jagger is familiar with (plus adding some new ones).

The difference between WANDERING SPIRIT and VOODOO LOUNGE is that the former is really Jagger wandering through different musical styles, while the latter is totally retro: it is The Stones going through the styles they used to do - they don't copy the styles, but themselves, and that is a big diffrence. BRIDGES has new dimensions, but A BIGGER BANG is thoroughly a pastische album, and like said, I also find very one-dimensionals, not much true variance.

I also like the idea of taking an example of Dylan's LOVE & THEFT into consideration. There Bob gives great Dylanish interpratations of many American musical styles of 20th Century. Perhaps producer Jack Frost is available...tongue sticking out smiley

Overall, I would love to hear my favourite band to take the age of them into account and act into accord to that. With this I mean the positive effect that they take the attitude of 'been there, done all that'; to use the wisdom and experience of 'elder statemen', so to say - they have every right to do that (I think the Stones, like Dylan in fact, somehow lost their sense of reality during the 80's, and especially Jagger seemingly got scared of aging or something, and lost his sense how to present himself. Dylan got back in the late 90's, but Jagger stuck into that strange, unreal peterpan-projection of his former self, that, no doubt, is commercially fruitful, but artistically next to nothing).

Maybe one thing to inspire the recording sessions, is to ask some other people - NOT Blondie, Lisa, Chuck, etc, but som 'rootsy' people like Buddy Guy, Clapton, Bill Wyman, Mick Taylor, some c&w artist, etc. - why not even CHUCK BERRY, PAUL MCCARTNEY or BOB DYLAN to make a real historical difference!!! - to join them... (and at least: bring the whole band into studio at the same; the concept of ABB is seen, and it didn't work out.)

Okay, maybe I 'm dreaming, and ask too much from our beloved 'pensionares', but that's no capital crime?

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-05 10:37 by Doxa.

Date: July 5, 2008 10:37

Make it a double or triple album, probably be their last one anyway, go out with a real bang

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 5, 2008 13:49

I thought Jack Frost WAS Bob Dylan ?!

Date: July 5, 2008 14:02

jlowe
I thought Jack Frost WAS Bob Dylan ?!

You were right.winking smiley

- Doxa

Date: July 5, 2008 14:12

Someone suggested THE HEALER kind of album The Stones to do. That would mean that the band would invite the people who were inspired by the Stones to join on them on their songs (or, if we really follow the formula of John Lee Hooker, they would re-record their earlier hits.)

Well, that would be logical if Keith wants to present himself as the old blues masters, but in the end of the day, I don't think that would suit for the Stones. It would sound too much like that the Stones are in a need a helping hand from the 'young guns', and I am sure that is the image they would never want to give!

(And with this I don't want to diss John Lee Hooker in any means - THE HEALER is a wonderful record, but I have never been happy with the analogy with old blues masters and The Rolling Stones rock and roll group (sorry Keith). It is not a fair comparison to either of them. They seem to work with a different logic, and in a different game.)

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-05 14:14 by Doxa.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 5, 2008 14:30

Hey Doxa, Bob Dylan is another good example of someone who is moving in the right direction by sticking to what he does best without trying to dress his music up in shades of the latest studio technology. I don't think that at the age of 65+ the Stones need to be trying to keep up with today's young rock bucks. They could wipe the floor with all these guys by pulling out some of their great blues, country and r'n'b licks, honing them into songs and perhaps adding a couple of tasteful covers.

Posted by: luxury man ()
Date: July 5, 2008 14:40

How about recording a good one? tThe last one was abou 28 years ago unfortunately. Thank god theyve had decent live shows since then...

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: July 5, 2008 20:44

Doxa
Overall, I would love to hear my favourite band to take the age of them into account and act into accord to that. With this I mean the positive effect that they take the attitude of 'been there, done all that'; to use the wisdom and experience of 'elder statemen', so to say - they have every right to do that (I think the Stones, like Dylan in fact, somehow lost their sense of reality during the 80's, and especially Jagger seemingly got scared of aging or something, and lost his sense how to present himself. Dylan got back in the late 90's, but Jagger stuck into that strange, unreal peterpan-projection of his former self, that, no doubt, is commercially fruitful, but artistically next to nothing).

Maybe one thing to inspire the recording sessions, is to ask some other people - NOT Blondie, Lisa, Chuck, etc, but som 'rootsy' people like Buddy Guy, Clapton, Bill Wyman, Mick Taylor, some c&w artist, etc. - why not even CHUCK BERRY, PAUL MCCARTNEY or BOB DYLAN to make a real historical difference!!! - to join them... (and at least: bring the whole band into studio at the same; the concept of ABB is seen, and it didn't work out.)

Okay, maybe I 'm dreaming, and ask too much from our beloved 'pensionares', but that's no capital crime?- Doxa

I agree completely. Great points about Jagger's presentation post-Undercover. And excellent suggestions regarding collaborators for a new project.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: July 5, 2008 23:22

I want them to record the old blues tunes...and get drunk...than try to record magic pop..like Dandelion..and ''Slow''....world things like''continental drift''......to much...and Undercover...and something like ''She was H'' and dirty funk!! and at least one ballad like...Memory motel.....and they should sing harmony together and on stage also!! Release Sweet Home Chicago today!!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: July 6, 2008 05:45

I don't think the band members try to hide their age so much in their writing. For example, Mick was dating and looking for another partner before he settled down with L'Wren in the last few years. I mean the "phone kept ringing"...

That said, I wouldn't mind an all-blues album, electric and acoustic, more emphasis on the five main players.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-06 05:46 by angee.

Date: July 6, 2008 06:44

i think they should go back in time to when the started and cut an album of covers.. maybe adding 2-3 stones originals IF THEY ARE GREAT.. otherwise mainly chuck berry covers... mr pitiful thet they did on tour was great.. mick sounds fabulous on that soul music...

a 40 minute record... no overdubs...live.. in a shack... with rubin or more likely some virtually unknown indieproducer......

no GUESTS PLEASE!!!!!!!! just the four with bill wyman if he's into it.. otherwise keith or ron playing the bass and only one guitar....

to get them in the mood i'd have them listen to some ian stewart licks..rocket 88 if nothing else is around...

everythign recorded with vintage gear and equipment...

just put it out there and see what happens... i think they couldn't do any worse..... yes bigger bang has its high points but as an album itdoes not work..

also if keith is going to sing- i'm sorry- its got to be better than this place is empty..

its critical to keep it raw and to have some quality control..someone from outside the band because clearly they no longer have any grasp whehter things work or not..i mean who was the lightbulb behind sweet neocon??? as much as i agree with the sentiment its a horrendous song... someone has to say "no mick..this is crap"

the only exception for guest would be buddy guy... i think he works well with the band.. but only if he's going to be a guest on more than one song.. no one song guest.. heck that champagne and reefer was the best thing they've done in years.. record that in a shack..

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-06 06:49 by stoned in washington dc.

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: July 6, 2008 06:45

An album of blues cover or bluesy songs like Back of my Hand would be fantastic.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 6, 2008 06:49

micwer
An album of blues cover or bluesy songs like Back of my Hand would be fantastic.

Not a bad idea, but I wouldn't mind seeing all their blues songs throughout their history as a release...or at least the best 15 to 20.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: July 6, 2008 10:19

A Tatoo You alike with a smash opening.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: July 6, 2008 15:38

I too would like a country/blues album like Gazza but can't see them doing a whole album of such material.
Perhaps as whiskey suggests a triple , but not full album length more mini album or EP discs ,
1 Blues , 1 Country and 1 Soul all available individually or as a set,
after all other artists have released more than 1 album/EP at a time.
Springsteen,Guns & Roses , Ryan Adams and Bright Eyes have all done this in the last few years, probably others but can't think of any off hand

Posted by: magenta ()
Date: July 6, 2008 17:56

All of this talk about what kind of album the Stones should so is silly. There might not be a another album. Some people say that they should do this or that should that. they have done it, they have given at the office. Some people say that the Stones should grow up, well they have just listen to something like "Losing My Touch" or "This Place Is Empty", those are not the 60's Stones. They are still pretty good songwriters, although I really don't think people really listen. We are usually too busy listening to the boom boom. Another thing that people are always saying about the Stones is that they should stop writing and singing about youthful things like partying and chasing girls. Well dig this Muddy Waters was well into his 60's and he was doing songs like "Too Young To Know", "She's Nineteen. "Little Girl" and "Streamline Woman" and although they were older songs he was still recording them into his 60's.
Rock and Women fit like grass on the ground. I am going go listen to "A Bigger Bang" right now, sit back, tap my feet and say, "Well, it's not "Exile" but it ain't bad. It's the world's greatest rock and roll band nd they are hitting that note.

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: July 6, 2008 18:50

Bluesy, country-ish, wobbly, sloppy, back to the way they were. And I don't want Jagger's vocals all poslished and sort of false. I want Jagger to be all slurry like in '72 and ''75.

More Keith solos as well.

Posted by: C R K ()
Date: July 6, 2008 19:46

Probably what many others dream of... a better (more dirty) production (probably with the help of a new producer), lesser songs (10 or 12 maybe), more blues and country. A real "hit" and opener like like Start me up. Etc.

Date: July 6, 2008 20:12

The time is right for a return to where they began: the blues.

Sitting on a stool playing acoustic blues, or bending knees and bendin' strings playing electric, the band that introduced most of us to the blues has it in them to go there with ease, I just know it. Just as Eric Clapton stepped back into his past to revisit the blues he loved with tremendous results, so would the Stones if they just admit that the coffers are fulled beyond belief, that the time is now to do what they love, and what they taught their fans to love. The blues.

When Mick is playing the harmonica he is at his most sincere, most primal best. Charlie swings with it, and Keith & Ronnie have shown that it is never far from what they love doing, just check out where they go when they rehearse just the two of them.

Check out Keith's recent work with Hubert Sumlin, or Mick & Keith on the Blues, Blues, Blues cd with Jimmy Rogers. Or stuff like "Little Baby" on Stripped. OR "Back of my Hand" from ABB. And, might I add, the highlight (for me) of SAL was them blowing out the blues with Buddy Guy.

So most certainly a blues record would be welcomed by this Stones fan, and may just help redefine the band and set it's legacy back to a proper place:
MESSENGERS OF THE BLUES.

And, of course, a tour focusing on it, with support acts to compliment the vibe. Dare I dream, but that is what I'd like to see them do.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-06 20:16 by Made In The Shade.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 6, 2008 22:21

10 good songs, 35-40 minutes, no filler.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1264
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home