Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What kind of album would you like The Stones to record next?
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 4, 2008 17:04

Supposedly The Stones are going to be recording another album - perhaps even this year. What kind of album would IORR'ers like to hear from the band? Personally I'm fed up with having so many substandard rock songs to make up the numbers on their recent albums - songs that they never play live and really just get forgotten about. Perhaps they should do some great inspired covers as they did on Beggars, Sticky Fingers, and Exile. Perhaps we could have some more country, reggae or straight out blues. Be interesting to hear what would spin fans' wheels.

Re: What kind of album would you like The Stones to record next?
Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 4, 2008 17:19

TATTOO YOU type of record for me, must have been something there since it was the last BIG SELLER and last BIG SMASH HIT SINGLE

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: July 4, 2008 17:19

If I could get the same quality album as say Bridges then I'd be happy!

No covers album

Acoustic country flavoured album maybe.

Just stop pretending to be a rebel or young.....

Date: July 4, 2008 17:22

I'll be happy if their next album is along the lines of "A Bigger Bang". Love that record.

Date: July 4, 2008 17:24

With you on the wish for some acoustic country there ablett. To tell you the truth I never listen to any whole albums since Tattoo You nowadays. There's worthy moments on all of them but the consistency dropped after TY for me.

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: July 4, 2008 17:27

Just open the vaults

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: July 4, 2008 17:31

Good question...

- They should experiment more with different and unusual sounds/instruments; also experiment with ways of recording...just like they used too, esp. in 1968.

- They need a new producer who can encourage the above, someone young and who has a similar vision as Jimmy Miller had. (I think a lot rests on the producer, more than people give them credit for.)

- They should stop using a click track / metronome. This has sucked the life out of their studio recordings during the last 20 years.

- They should record to tape, not Protools.

They owe it to themselves (never mind the fans) to come up with something good.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: July 4, 2008 17:38

keeffriffhard
Just open the vaults

Agreed. And please start rehearsing a vast number of songs from the back catalogue for the next tour. Cut back on covers and that horrible screaming from Lisa.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 4, 2008 17:42

I would love a funk album with great grooves, sort of Undercover - but with a more direct, less effected sound. I would love a messy sound with lots of bu vocals, unpolished horns. I would love traks in the fashion of Just Wanna See his face. In other words, I would just put all the current live band in a studio and see what happens. I would truly love to hear bernard and lisa involved. I would also accentuate those subtle jazz influences that keith and watts so much love.

C

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: July 4, 2008 17:47

Silver Dagger
Supposedly The Stones are going to be recording another album - perhaps even this year. What kind of album would IORR'ers like to hear from the band?

A good one, would be nice.

Date: July 4, 2008 17:48

WeLoveYou
Good question...

- They should stop using a click track / metronome. This has sucked the life out of their studio recordings during the last 20 years.

Great point. Probably my biggest bugbare of their recordings since Steel Wheels is the horrible precision of everything. A lot of the stuff they do sounds so lifeless and anodyne compared to say, a recording like Stray Cat Blues, Monkey Man, Midnight Rambler or anything off Exile where you can literally feel the interaction of the musicians.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 4, 2008 17:53

I agree with comment on not using click tracks.

I'd like to see them do an album that reflects their age. Where the songs capture the wisdom of their experience, and the guys don't sound like they are pretending to be 25 again. See Bob Dylan's "Love and Theft"

I'd like to hear something that is more like a jazz record--where what you hear is a bunch of guys playing, not a produced "record" but an actual document of them performing. Terry Adams and Steve Ferguson [of NRBQ] "Louisville Sluggers"

I'd like to hear something that doesn't feel strained--as if they're trying too hard. An album that combines a fresh, effortless feel where they sound in control, and not willing to pander to commercial trends. Where they do what they do best, but they do it in the here and now. Al Green's "Lay It Down"

If the old dogs I've mentioned above can still do it, THE STONES CAN TOO!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-04 18:27 by loog droog.

Date: July 4, 2008 18:02

Even McCartney made a fair stab of going back to the basics on Memory Almost Full. It was his best album for ages and it kinda sounded like something he might have pulled out of the bag in the early 70s. I don't understand why the Stones keep wanting to go for that overproduced sound when they could so easily strip it all back ands let the music breathe for a change. Less has always been more in my book.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: July 4, 2008 18:03

A blues album.

Nah, just joking. I agree with Silver Dagger: "where you can literally feel the interaction of the musicians."

A late 60s style album like side 2 of Metamorphosis would be great.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: July 4, 2008 18:05

covers - they are, among other things, the greatest cover band in the world

Posted by: Jimmie ()
Date: July 4, 2008 18:17

I´ve been kinda critical to the latest albums..

Steel Wheels - some awsome tracks but the production and playing is way to "perfect" for the stones.. there´s no dirt..

Voodoo Lounge - Still (imo) their best album since Tattoo You. A more varied sound, a cool nice selection of styles. BUT.. too many fillers.
If they would have had ten songs on that album and added "the storm" and "So Young" it would have been a fantastic record.

Bridges To babylon - Way too many fillers and a production that is too clean.
There is actually only 3 songs on that album that I really like.
Although 2 of those i would pick as some of the best they have ever done.
"Saint of me" and "Out of control".

And what is up with the boring ballads? It seems like Mick can only write one type of slow songs since 1995

A bigger bang - I don´t really know what the fuzz was all about, the faster rockier songs was standard Stones and the rest.. well..
Only 4 good songs imo, the 60´s flavoured "let me down real slow", the haunting "Laugh, I Nearly Died", Keiths beautiful "This place is empty" and the welcome return to the bluses with "Back of my hand".

SO what should they do?

Quality control: Pick the ten best songs. Forget the fact that a cd can hold up to 80 minutes of music. That doesnt matter if only 20-30 of those minutes are made up of good songs.

Production - The Stones are a rock n roll band right? So why the clean sound that has been on every album since the 80´s.
They should ditch Don Was and get someone younger that can get the dirt from the old guys.

Recording - Every since 1989 they have been saying that they record the way they did in the 60´s. So why can´t we hear it on the records?
Experiment more.. More horns, more percussion.. more unusual things. Stop playing safe.
The ending of "Laugh, I Nearly Died" sounds more like Exile on main street than anything since 1974. More of those cool moments.

They were on a good path with "Voodoo" I think.. you had a flavour of mixed styles that hadn´t been on a stones album for a long time.
Blues, country, hard rock, gospel, reagge, ballads, funk,RnB , soul
Lets bring all those influences back.

Well enough of my rantings smiling smiley

I still love the band nop matter what winking smiley

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 4, 2008 18:18

How about letting a proven, die-hard Stones fan sift through the vaults and decide which songs to include on every bit of one CD?

Any volunteers (besides me)? smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: July 4, 2008 18:27

One that doesn't suck

Date: July 4, 2008 18:29

Jimmie
"Quality control: Pick the ten best songs. Forget the fact that a cd can hold up to 80 minutes of music. That doesnt matter if only 20-30 of those minutes are made up of good songs."

Another really good point here. CDs are overlong - no one really sits through 60-80 mins of music in one go. Cut the tracks back to 10-12 songs. Again, less is more. Leave em wanting more.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: July 4, 2008 18:33

Many good points in here. They should not try to hide their age, I like Abb, but there should more than one sound on a new album, abb runs a little danger of sounding monotone. Mick will not risk anything, so why not a few blues rockers plus some more experimental numbers. By the way I am not so sure that there will be a new album.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: July 4, 2008 18:40

I only read about the click track thing recently (I think it's mentioned in Ron's book). I always thought it was they way Charlie was playing in recent times, that he'd become like a drum machine. Instead it turns out he's been a slave to the click track all along! Apparently Keith hated it at first, then eventually the band became used to using it. It's the way things are done now they were told. I blame the producers.

Date: July 4, 2008 19:02

They should resist the technology and stop trying to sound relevant. They will still be relevant if they just get back to basics. A nice analogue sound, some genuine warmth - make a record like John Lee Hooker's The Healer.

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: July 4, 2008 19:07

If I knew that - I'd do it myself ;-)

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 4, 2008 19:10

WeLoveYou
I only read about the click track thing recently (I think it's mentioned in Ron's book). I always thought it was they way Charlie was playing in recent times, that he'd become like a drum machine. Instead it turns out he's been a slave to the click track all along! Apparently Keith hated it at first, then eventually the band became used to using it. It's the way things are done now they were told. I blame the producers.

I didn't know about the "click track". Perhaps that explains why the sort of groove does not exist anymore - especially that is he case with the fast rockers. The swing is just so 'natural' sounding as before. Especially I found that that problem first time in VOODOO LOUNGE. In Keith's terms, it is the "roll" element missing.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-04 19:11 by Doxa.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 4, 2008 19:11

Edith Grove
How about letting a proven, die-hard Stones fan sift through the vaults and decide which songs to include on every bit of one CD?

Any volunteers (besides me)? smiling bouncing smiley

Me!!!!! That would be a great job! I´d do it for free! (That´s
relevant for Mick!)

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 4, 2008 19:16

What I wish for the next album is more of Keith Richards input; songs, guitars and backing vocals with Mick. Although I like ABB very much, I feel like Mick was more behind it than Keith. I hope that Keith's health is good and that when the time comes to work on the new album he'll be inspired and ready to kick ass.
Rock and Roll,
Thierry

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 4, 2008 19:30

I'd like them to record an album like EXILE, raw, powerful and not so slick and over-produced! Get rid of Dust Bros, and all of the new, hot techno crap and stick to basic rock!! Put horns back in, make the guitar/drum sound prominent, and let Mick and Keith harmonize!! I'd like Lisa featured too. The formula is simple, it's what they do instinctively; when they try too hard and over-work it, I think they lose the feel of the Stones.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 4, 2008 19:48

A country/blues style album...and Keith to rediscover his muse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-04 19:56 by Gazza.

Posted by: brainer ()
Date: July 4, 2008 19:56

With guests on every song, like Hubert Sumlin,Taj Mahal ,John Mayall,Mick Taylor........?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-04 19:57 by brainer.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 4, 2008 20:14

If they don't do another Exile On Main Street I'll quit.

Oh wait. I've bought every record since that has been hyped as the next Exile. So I guess I will buy it.

Well, if it's better than Emotional Rescue, Undercover, Dirty Work, and Steel Wheels and somewhat like Voodoo, Bridges and Bang were then I'll buy it. Even though I bought the four drab ones.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1223
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home