Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Was the "Satisfaction" Riff original from Brian Jones?
Posted by: Urban Wheel ()
Date: July 3, 2008 11:11

I am currently reading a book on the life of Brian Jones, called "Golden Stone".
In the book it is told that the famous opening riff grom Satisfaction was actually played for the first time by Brian.

The band got together and Brian played the riff in front of Keith and Mick.
Their answer was "Yeah right.....)

Acording to the myth was played by Keith and recorded on a tape, you know the story...:0)

Does anybody know more about this?

'Doo doo doo Heartbreaker'

Re: Was the "Satisfaction" Riff original from Brian Jones?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 3, 2008 11:27

File it with the Blood Change stories....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 3, 2008 11:31

No, actually the riff was first played by Charlie Watts by the drums.

- Doxa

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: July 3, 2008 11:52

.... big riff, big song, big hit, big bucks, and even a child can play it.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: July 3, 2008 11:55

Urban Wheel
In the book it is told ...

Does this book also reveal what source this story comes from?

Posted by: twanghound ()
Date: July 3, 2008 12:00

Didn't Bill Wyman claim too that he invented the riff?
Or was it "Jumping Jack Flash"?
I'm not sure.
Well, they aren't sure neither as it seems...

Re: No, the "Satisfaction" riff wasn't from Brian Jones
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 3, 2008 12:18

>> Didn't Bill Wyman claim too that he invented the riff? <<

Bill's claim is to JJF ... my own theory is that Bill was playing Satisfaction backwards just for laughs
when the Glimmers waltzed in and said "sounds good" ... and then Keith converted it into JJF and the rest is history.
that's 100% speculation, mind you - i like concocting theories that mean everybody's right. :E

meanwhile, whoever wrote that Brian originated the Satisfaction riff has definitely NOT been paying attention.
(is this the same entity who "channeled" Brian's ghost and called it a biography?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-03 12:19 by with sssoul.

Date: July 3, 2008 12:41

Actually I remember hearing that it was Noel "the bitter man" Redding who is the source of this "Brian wrote the riff of "Satisfaction" claim" (remember, he was also the guy who Jimi Hendrix "ripped off"...). Well, how did he happen to know that? Most likely due to free booze he was given for having 'interviewed' for the book.

I do not recommend to read Brian Jones biographies if one is interested in the real and actual history. God knows the agenda behind those books.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-03 12:42 by Doxa.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 3, 2008 13:29

Well if Bill wrote Jumpin' Jack then he wrote When The Whip Comes Down because that is just Jumpin' Jack in a different key!

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: July 3, 2008 13:29

Golden Stone is written by Laura Jackson and published in '93.

The book is available at amazon.com incl. a few editorial reviews. One of them actually mentions the Satisfaction riff claim.

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-03 13:37 by Sohoe.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 3, 2008 13:43

skipstone
Well if Bill wrote Jumpin' Jack then he wrote When The Whip Comes Down because that is just Jumpin' Jack in a different key!

??????

C

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: July 3, 2008 13:51

The way I know this story is that on 5 or 6 May, 1965,the band was in the swimming pool of the Motel of Clearwater (two names here: the Gulf Hotel or the Jak Tar Harrison Hotel) and in the swimming pool Keith showed to Mick the riff of Satisfaction. The night before Brian and Bill met two girls at a bar and spent the night together with them. The day after, in the swimming pool, the girl that had the affair with Brian arrived and said she had been beaten up by Brian.
Mike Dorsey immediately looked for Brian and hit him at his chest breaking him two ribs. Thus, I guess Brian was in other matters involved that night rather than inventing the riff of Satisfaction.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 3, 2008 15:32

Didnt Otis Redding claim he actually wrote it?? HEH-HEH!

Date: July 3, 2008 15:49

>> Thus, I guess Brian was in other matters involved that night rather than inventing the riff of Satisfaction. <<

yes, that's the story i know too - except that Keith apparently didn't invent the riff at Clearwater either.
Clearwater's where they turned it into a song, but Keith says it was earlier than that, in London,
where he woke up in the middle of the night with the riff in his head and taped it.
at the London Hilton, to be exact, where he was sleeping between gigs. that's what Keith told Stanley Booth, anyway ...

>> I do not recommend to read Brian Jones biographies if one is interested in the real and actual history.
God knows the agenda behind those books. <<

i know what you mean. it often seems the writers are trying to turn Brian into someone else -
someone a lot like Keith, weirdly enough. it's like they can't dig Brian for who he was and what he did.

love & light to Brian, and thanks & praises

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-03 15:59 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 3, 2008 15:49

No but Britney thinks she did...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: July 3, 2008 15:55

Bill Wyman wrote every riff ever invented on the organ. He is the source of all melodious sound. Without his Perkiness, music as we know it would never have existed. Bill Wyman is more important than Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Armstrong, and McCartney combined.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 3, 2008 16:58

The author confused Keith first playing the riff to Mick by the swimming pool in May 1965 with Brian drowning in a swimming pool four years and two months later. Easy mistake to make.

Besides everyone knows the riff to "Satisfaction" was written by Mick Taylor/Ry Cooder/Gram Parsons or whoever else people believe actually wrote songs that sound like a million other Jagger/Richards songs. I certainly wouldn't question their integrity. God knows you can hear the innovation of JJF all over Bill's solo albums. "I Wanna Get Me a Gun" is JJF played sideways and so is "Mama Rap."

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: July 3, 2008 16:59

Brian hated that song and used to play the theme to Popeye the Sailor Man on stage becasue he thought the satisfaction riff was childish and sounded like Popeye...

so i doubt he wrote it!

Date: July 3, 2008 17:09

Rocky Dijon
The author confused Keith first playing the riff to Mick by the swimming pool in May 1965 with Brian drowning in a swimming pool four years and two months later. Easy mistake to make.

Besides everyone knows the riff to "Satisfaction" was written by Mick Taylor/Ry Cooder/Gram Parsons or whoever else people believe actually wrote songs that sound like a million other Jagger/Richards songs. I certainly wouldn't question their integrity. God knows you can hear the innovation of JJF all over Bill's solo albums. "I Wanna Get Me a Gun" is JJF played sideways and so is "Mama Rap."

"I Wanna Get Me a Gun" is the only song I choose to listen from MONKEY GRIP. But not more than once a decade (actually, I think I hear it last time in 1980's... and I don't have a vinyl player anymore...).

- Doxa

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: July 3, 2008 18:28

skipstone

Now THAT one I just don't get...

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: July 3, 2008 18:33

A groupie played it during the soundcheck for opening night of the 1792 tour.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 4, 2008 01:03

Sohoe
Golden Stone is written by Laura Jackson and published in '93.

The book is available at amazon.com incl. a few editorial reviews. One of them actually mentions the Satisfaction riff claim.

[www.amazon.com]

Would anyone recommend ANY of the Brian Jones books ?? There must be one out there which has some credibility surely?

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: July 4, 2008 04:44

"It was during the Rolling Stones' third American tour that Richards dreamed up the legendary three-chord guitar riff that opens "Satisfaction". Richards had no faith in the song as a single and was worried people would think his intro was a copy of Martha & The Vandella's "Dancing in the Street". This riff would also turn up in later songs like "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and "Brown Sugar"."

at least according to [www.bbc.co.uk]

Date: July 4, 2008 08:26

>> at least according to [www.bbc.co.uk] <<

well ... at least the bbc got the author right, and the Dancing in the Street part.
but that's about it.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 4, 2008 10:12

Whip and JJF are very similar. I don't get what there isn't to get.

Date: July 4, 2008 11:17

skipstone

I haven't never heard the resemblance (only if the first two hits are counted - but that's the tardemark of many, many Stones songs.) To my ears "Whip" is is one of those "more fast numbers" type of pseudo-punk songs that are based on Mick's strumming with two chords (A-D). Perhaps there is some Keith and Ronnie's weaving all around, but not such clear riffs like "Jumping Jack" and "Satisfaction".

- Doxa

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: July 4, 2008 12:07

The fact he couldn't get no Satisfaction doesn't mean he wrote it.

Posted by: Urban Wheel ()
Date: July 4, 2008 12:45

Doxa
Actually I remember hearing that it was Noel "the bitter man" Redding

Correct, that was also what I read in the book. Noel Redding was the name.
Who was this guy anyway?

'Doo doo doo Heartbreaker'

Date: July 4, 2008 12:48

skipstone
Just as long as you can hear the difference between the two there's absolutely nothing to worry about....

Date: July 4, 2008 12:50

skipstone
Or are we now getting in the "Brian Jones wrote When The Whip Comes Down" zone?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1753
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home