Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

July 4,1982 Cologne
Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 3, 2008 02:29

Yes ,that was my first Stones Show.

It was a great experience,although i think the show was an average one,typical
1982 Europeshow,but for me : Heaven on Earth !

The weather was good,the sound echoed from the roof,we were in the infield,
singing,dancing and shouting the whole show.

When i read years later about the preshow-programme in other cities/countries
it was hard : they had Black Uhuru and George Thorogood,we had J Geils Band
(which was ok), Bap (local Cologne group,still active)and: Peter Maffay !!!
When he tried to perform,it was a complete disaster including thrown eggs,
tomatoes,...those were the days...

More memories,anecdotes,stories concerning this show ?

Re: July 4,1982 Cologne
Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: July 3, 2008 11:28

As you sure know there were two Cologne shows in 1982. A friend of mine went to the first one with some friends. After enjoying the gig he and his friends left the "Müngesdorfer Stadion", noticing their tickets were left completely intact. So the next day in a flash of high spirits they went back to the stadium again. And although the tickets for the second concert used a different colour, they passed the gate with their tix and got to see the second show too. Now, they were in extra high spirits after that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-03 19:52 by Greenblues.

Posted by: MrBird65 ()
Date: July 3, 2008 11:52

This was my second Stones show. My first was Munich. I remember that in the beginning there was no concert scheduled for Cologne so I went to Munich because that was the only date I could because I still went to school. As my father worked for a well known German airline it was very cheap for me to go by plane (it was around 20DM/10Euro I think). Then later Cologne was added to the schedule. I went there with a friend without tickets and we bought tickets for 10DM (5Euro) from some scalpers right before the beginning of the concert. They were for the stands and we climbed the trench to get to the infield and finally where front of stage! I even took some photographs with my small camera, that was no problem in these days.
I think Peter Maffay wasn't that bad and he didn't deserve all the tomatoes a.s.o. I don't like his music, but the band played well and perfect. The same happened in Munich and I think it was very unfair and not very cool.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: July 3, 2008 18:19

This was my second one ,too. First was in berlin,june 8th , but it was the first one with the big stage. People at the train said: Oh, you are going to see these old farts. They don`t bring it anymore. Much too old....
But what a show. I was so thrilled, the athmosphere was unbelievable, cause especially of all the fans from Holland. Great singalong. I was so thrilled that I never missed a stones-concert in cologne from then on.
Yes I remember people throwing tomatoes and potatoes on the stage, when maffay played. He was in the wrong place and didn`fit. The Stones were great, but I remember a really funny intro to Time Is On My Side (first or second show),where keith hit the wrong note in the intro, so Charlie was wrong , everybody was wrong and then Mick saved everything. Just great. And I remember the great semifinal of the football-worldcup Italy-Brazil. Saw it downtown in an italian restaurant, then went to the scond show. What great days in cologne 1982. I`ll never forget. At that time I thought: Will I ever see them again? Next time was NYC, 1989, a loooong time to wait...

Posted by: Orbit ()
Date: July 4, 2008 10:05

The second night (July 5th) was my third Stones show and my first outside the UK,geat show!

I still have somewhere the itinerary issued by Mead Gold Travel - left from Gloucester Rd coach station Sunday morning, travel all day by coach/ferry, arrive Cologne Sunday night, one night in hotel, gig on the Monday, coach straight home after gig. All this - travel, hotel, gig ticket - for a total of £65!!

I also still have a US baseball-style 'Europe '82' shirt saying STONES DEUTSCHLAND '82 and even listing Peter Maffay on the back, who I thought was pretty poor too. It is too small for me now, but my wife has worn it to Stones gigs at Wembley Arena and Madison Sq Gdn and been approached by people speaking German at both!

Posted by: django ()
Date: July 4, 2008 13:31

I was at the second Cologne concert. I had seen them before in Munich on June 10. and Frankfurt Festhalle. Both concerts were really great. Munich was my first Stones show and Frankfurt was the smallest venue on that tour, not counting the warm-up gigs in Scotland. The most remarkable memory of the Cologne show for me is when that bride in full wedding dress and everything tried to get in front of the stage during the J. Geils set. That was really funny. On the next day you could read her story in every local newspaper. As a die-hard P. Wolf fan she took a break from her own wedding ceremony just to rock with her idol. After J. Geils she left immediately. She doesn't miss very much as the Stones were a little bit lame on that day IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-04 13:45 by django.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2419
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home