Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: Am I missing something, or do Coldplay suck?
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 29, 2008 12:13

Whom of you have actually seen a Radiohead show this year?

Mathijs

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: June 29, 2008 12:36

"Did you ever listened to them? And if so, did you understand it?"

That is exactly what I think Radiohead and their fans are all about.
Very pretentious and arrogant, if you ask me.

I have no problem with people listening to Radiohead, but I do have a problem that they think they are better and smarter than others.

You like it or you don't. Nothing to do with understanding. Music is no science.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: June 29, 2008 12:37

Taste in music is subjective. Either you like it or you don't. No big deal. Life is too short to bitch about whether Radiohead is better than Madonna or Sonic Youth.
Grab a beer and get out in the sun and relax.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 29, 2008 13:22

The Bends and OK Computer are very good records. Both are very rock orientated. The latter is perhaps, more experemental. Their 4th album, Kid A, saw them move away from guitar-based tunes and embrace a different kind of music altogether, which really isn't to my liking.

Also, their debut, Pablo Honey, has some excellent thrasy grunge-like songs. Creep, Anyone Can Play Guitar etc.

Date: June 29, 2008 13:23

Check out Anyone Can Play Guitar. It truely rocks imo. Always puts a smile on my face.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 29, 2008 14:01

BowieStone
"Did you ever listened to them? And if so, did you understand it?"

That is exactly what I think Radiohead and their fans are all about.
Very pretentious and arrogant, if you ask me.

I have no problem with people listening to Radiohead, but I do have a problem that they think they are better and smarter than others.

You like it or you don't. Nothing to do with understanding. Music is no science.

Maybe the original question would be approriate, if it would have added a third question: "if you did so (understand), did you like it?" I agree with BowieStone that understanding and liking do not go hand in hand. I can claim that I understand the idea or concept of, say, Pink Floyd, or Heavy Metal (what makes that stuff interesting or exciting or original) but still I don't like it. And I can even accept that some people might understand Bob Dylan, but still do not like him. Finally the question is like preferring tits, legs, asses, etc. (sorry, the sexist nature of my examplewinking smiley). You like or you don't.

And for those who think that some sort of music is intellectually less demanding, and perhaps, for that reason, not so good, I offer them to read the piece of paper Brian Jones wrote to Jazz News (or whatever was the media) to defend the the music their band played (rhythm'n'blues) against the critique of the jazz people.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-29 14:05 by Doxa.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 29, 2008 22:21

BluzDude
I think I found a band even worse than Coldplay....Radiohead.

I see I sort of threw a curve in this discussion back on page one. As far as coldplay goes, if I was in a car with someone playing coldplay, after 20 minutes I would ask them to change the CD or MP3. If it was Radiohead, after 5 minutes I would be ready to jump out the car...even going 80 mph on interstate 5.

As far as the emotion thing:
the Stones and AC/DC lack emotion in their music (pure good time stuff)
U2 and Springsteen are emotional IMO. As far as I'm concerned, these 4 bands are all really great bands.

Date: June 29, 2008 23:27

cosmoprim
Mathijs
Yes, for Americans she's years ahead of her time.

Mathijs

As an American, I am highly offended. Without America, you'd have no blues, gospel, R&B, country, hip hop, jazz or rock n roll. You should fall to your knees and worship America's art, and thank a merciful God for the wonderful music born of my nation.

Witho0ut a shadow of a doubt the US is the birth place of many, many music forms and artists. But unfortunately, the music scene in the US has developed into two dimensional money making showbizz. There's lame country music, commercial hip hop, and Las Vegas acts. With regret I have to say that nothing interesting has come out of the States since the late 80's to early 90's with Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, N.W.A., I.C.P, Tupac etc.

Mathijs

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: June 29, 2008 23:28

I wouldn't say The Stones lack emotion although I agree they are more of a good time rock and roll band. Sometimes they get criticized for being too sappy as in Streets Of Love so I don't see how that equates to a lack of emotion.

Date: June 29, 2008 23:32

The Stones
Taste in music is subjective. Either you like it or you don't. No big deal. Life is too short to bitch about whether Radiohead is better than Madonna or Sonic Youth.
Grab a beer and get out in the sun and relax.

Bollocks. As with food, taste is an aquired thing. Some things come to you naturaly, some things you really have to try, learn, and get used to. No teenager liked jazz or classical music -you need time and age to learn to appreciate the finer things in live.

My question "did you understand it" meant just exactly that. Did you put the effort in to it, to listen to it and try to feel, see and experience what is meant by the band. If you did and you didn't like it: no problem. But my guess is that most Stones fans just never ever really tried it.

Mathijs

Date: June 29, 2008 23:33

Mathijs
cosmoprim
Mathijs

Mathijs

As an American, I am highly offended. Without America, you'd have no blues, gospel, R&B, country, hip hop, jazz or rock n roll. You should fall to your knees and worship America's art, and thank a merciful God for the wonderful music born of my nation.

Witho0ut a shadow of a doubt the US is the birth place of many, many music forms and artists. But unfortunately, the music scene in the US has developed into two dimensional money making showbizz. There's lame country music, commercial hip hop, and Las Vegas acts. With regret I have to say that nothing interesting has come out of the States since the late 80's to early 90's with Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, N.W.A., I.C.P, Tupac etc.

Mathijs

To tell you the truth I haven't seen much of anything that I could call exciting from anywhere in the world since the late eightees/early ninetees. Not from America and not from Europe either. Not many great artists at all recently, but I do like Green Day and Counting Crows and they are both American bands.

Date: June 30, 2008 00:58

FrankM
Mathijs
cosmoprim
Mathijs

Mathijs

Mathijs

To tell you the truth I haven't seen much of anything that I could call exciting from anywhere in the world since the late eightees/early ninetees. Not from America and not from Europe either. Not many great artists at all recently, but I do like Green Day and Counting Crows and they are both American bands.

Counting Crowes are great, but when was Recovering the Sattelites? 1996? I think most interesting music, including trip hop etc. is all comming from the UK for the last years. Arctic Monkeys, Duffy, Whinehouse,Franz Ferdinand, Libertines, cooper Temple Clause, Kaiser Chiefs, Radiohead, Muse, Babyshambles, Kosheen, Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim etc.

Mathijs

Date: June 30, 2008 02:01

I haven't heard a lot of those bands you mentioned Mathijs so either they are not crossing the Atlantic or I am just out of the loop which is possible since I don't listen to much new stuff.

Recovering.. was the Counting Crows worst album probably- not that any of them are really bad. The new one got really good reviews but like many other bands they seem to lose popularity after a few albums. Their sales have gone downhill steadily since August... from Quad. platinum to only gold for Hard Candy. Not sure of the sales for the latest album.

Also keep in mind that everything runs in cycles and America may turn away from crap and hip hop and make some better music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-30 02:03 by FrankM.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 30, 2008 02:12

Mathijs

Without a shadow of a doubt the US is the birth place of many, many music forms and artists. But unfortunately, the music scene in the US has developed into two dimensional money making showbizz. There's lame country music, commercial hip hop, and Las Vegas acts. With regret I have to say that nothing interesting has come out of the States since the late 80's to early 90's with Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, N.W.A., I.C.P, Tupac etc. Mathijs

I second that emotion.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 30, 2008 05:45

The Sicilian
Mathijs

Without a shadow of a doubt the US is the birth place of many, many music forms and artists. But unfortunately, the music scene in the US has developed into two dimensional money making showbizz. There's lame country music, commercial hip hop, and Las Vegas acts. With regret I have to say that nothing interesting has come out of the States since the late 80's to early 90's with Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, N.W.A., I.C.P, Tupac etc. Mathijs

I second that emotion.

true, true, true.....damn record executives and their A & R robots

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 30, 2008 07:06

They are the new Hootie.......

Posted by: stones1984 ()
Date: June 30, 2008 12:23

yep they suck big time

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: June 30, 2008 13:03

oldkr
they sucked hard then they got produced by rick rubin and they sound cool

OLDKR

wrong.
they still suck.

Date: June 30, 2008 13:16

Mathijs
With regret I have to say that nothing interesting has come out of the States since the late 80's to early 90's with Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, N.W.A., I.C.P, Tupac etc.

Mathijs

*Wilco

*Ryan Adams

*Jack White

...3 exceptional talents.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-30 13:17 by Adrian-L.

Date: June 30, 2008 13:16

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-30 13:17 by Adrian-L.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 30, 2008 14:10

I think theres no such things like good music or bad music, theres only music I like or music I dont like.

Coldplay - theres some songs I like, but theres also songs that leave me cold.

the problem I have with a lot of "younger" bands is that they often are a bit "one-dimensional". the Stones sound has so many facettes its simply incredible. theyre not just RocknRoll, not just Blues, they are also Soul, Country, Folk, Reggae, Gospel and so on. hell, when I became a Stones fan many decades ago they turned me on to discover and explore so many styles of music along the way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-30 14:11 by alimente.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: June 30, 2008 14:24

BluzDude
I think I found a band even worse than Coldplay....Radiohead.

So true!!!

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: June 30, 2008 14:32

Mathijs
Whom of you have actually seen a Radiohead show this year?

Mathijs

Not this year but in 2006 @ Sziget Festival. In such a fantastic venue I had very high expectations for that show. Now, the Radiohead fans I met over there liked it very much, but let me just tell you this: DESPITE THE EXPECTATIONS, THAT'S BEEN THE MOST BORING SHOW I'VE EVER BEEN TO!!! PROBABLY MY BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT AS A MUSIC FAN. That one is DEFINITELY the most overrated band EVER. I don't know why it's so much praised by musicians, especially guitar players. And please don't tell me that if I don't like it I don't understand music, that's utter crap because I'm a musician myself and I do know my shit about music.

All in all, give me a so-called "Vegas" show by the Stones any time of the day!!!

p.s. "Just" and "15 Steps" are very good songs, though.

Date: June 30, 2008 15:06

Adrian-L
Mathijs
With regret I have to say that nothing interesting has come out of the States since the late 80's to early 90's with Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, N.W.A., I.C.P, Tupac etc.

Mathijs

*Wilco

*Ryan Adams

*Jack White

and The Strokes. They changed my life completely.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: June 30, 2008 15:08

They ARE "DULL AS DISHWATER". Indeed! I love that line, by the way and will use it when describing something as dull as Coldplay!

Date: June 30, 2008 15:35

Adrian-L
Mathijs

Mathijs

*Wilco

*Ryan Adams

*Jack White

Yes, exceptional talents, but all from the mid-90's.

Mathijs

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: June 30, 2008 15:58

I also dislike Coldplay and find them dull…… but hey, rather than bashing them I’m glad the OP brought this up as it has raised some interesting points, because I too have wondered if I was missing something.

I have often thought that my 60s music and rock ‘n’ roll tastes have meant that I am incapable of appreciating modern pop music, most of which I dislike (I also dislike U2 and Radiohead). Consequently when anything ‘good’ comes along, ie something I like…it’s usually because there’s something retro or 60s-ish about it. eg Amy Winehouse. Another example I can think of is 1990s british band Ocean Colour Scene, who reminded me slightly of Cream (I’m no real fan of OCS, was just giving an example).

I think therefore that I mainly like ‘roots’ pop music, ie pop music that is rooted in rock ‘n’ roll or jazz or blues etc. Most 60s music falls into this category, some 70s music does also. Modern pop music though is not roots music…. much of it is very cold and soulless. There was a change I think in the 80s where modern pop was created and it branched away from roots pop.

Going back to Coldplay… I saw them on TV a couple of weeks ago doing a concert outside the BBC building. They still seemed dull to me, but for a moment I almost started to appreciate them. I could see the ‘magic’ that they were other people. Then a moment later I suddenly realised how banal they are. They are sort of ‘good’ but in a one-dimensional way…. Some people really seem to appreciate them. I can’t work it out really.

What makes one person’s taste in music different to another’s? Perhaps it’s down to a musical education you naturally gain as grow up listening to music when you’re in your younger formative years.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 30, 2008 16:29

I don't think I can name a Coldplay song, so I have no opinion on them. My band covers a Radiohead song (High and Dry). It took me a while to get used to it, since it is a completely different way of playing guitar than roots/blues based music. And even though the style is very different, doesn't have a recognizable groove or whatever, I don't think you can say that it is emotionless music. It's all drums, bass, guitars, and vocals - real instruments.

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: June 30, 2008 16:32

You are not missing anything...they suck (as does radiohead)

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 1, 2008 01:08

I also think Jack White and Ryan Adams suck as bad as Coldplay!

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2053
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home