Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - shameless plug for my alt-country band (but with an on-topic link)
Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 24, 2008 21:46

Hi guys,

Completely off topic and shameless but I'd appreciate it if you could check out my band's latest recordings on [www.myspace.com]

In fact, it is slightly on-topic as we recorded the songs at The Bees studio on the Isle of Wight, who recorded the soundtrack to the film Stoned. Great guys...

Re: OT - shameless plug for my alt-country band (but with an on-topic link)
Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: June 24, 2008 23:22

Sounds great! Kind of Cold Roses-esq.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 25, 2008 01:13

Not shameless at all, imho... you make the board richer with good music - thanks.

great pedal steel of yours

thumbs upsmileys with beer

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: June 25, 2008 03:48

open-g

Open G: have you seen the new Duesenberg Pomona 6? It's a lap steel that functions with a moveable hand lever for a pedal steel sound. It also has an adjustable capo that can change keys in seconds. Search it on YouTube.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-25 03:51 by fiftyamp.

Date: June 25, 2008 17:12

Well thanks for the heads-up about the Duesenberg Pomona 6.
I hadn't heared of it before. found some info and video about it here.
[www.duesenberg.de]

what I dislike? - the price!

Posted by: phelge ()
Date: June 25, 2008 17:29

Nice matey! Come and play Manchester sometime. I'm messaging you with a friend request on myspace. Tim x

Date: June 25, 2008 23:47

Last time we played Manchester we played the Dry Bar. Problem was that the promoter put us on after a metal band with no thought whatsoever. The metal band was so loud and bad that everyone left and we started up to an empty stage. By the time we finished, it was full again but there's nothing worse than going up and playing to no-one.

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: June 26, 2008 00:07

You sound great!!

Date: June 26, 2008 01:04

fiftyamp
open-g

Open G: have you seen the new Duesenberg Pomona 6? It's a lap steel that functions with a moveable hand lever for a pedal steel sound. It also has an adjustable capo that can change keys in seconds. Search it on YouTube.

I've just had a look and, to be honest, I can't see the point - and I'll qualify that later. If you want to do the pedal steel licks then you might as well get a pedal steel. If you want to do lap steel stuff then it's a different (and just as relavent) sound.

The thing is that the secret of pedal and lap steel playing (when you start to get good) is the right hand technique (and I've only been playing for a couple of years). You have to use the right hand fingers, thumb and mostly the edge of the palm to very quickly block notes as you fast pick them. This gives the clear sound and without it everything sounds all hawian. So if your using the right hand to also push levers you will never get a good blocking technique. That is why I don't see the point of this guitar and is also why pedal steel guitars were developed with pedals and knee levers to bend the notes as opposed to hand levels.

I can sort of see the point of the capo thing but you don't really need to do a lot of open string plaging in pedal steel. Maybe I'll try and get one made up to see if there's any use in it...

I paid £450 for my pedal steel so its not as though pedal steels have to be expensive.

Date: June 26, 2008 01:29

Good points there.
maybe they built it with a kind of Swiss Army Knife approach, all-in-one.
...it does stay small to travel though.

the multibender is quite useful for guitars (Stratocasters first of all) and it has been around for a while - maybe it's a little over the top for a lap-steel.

lets wait and see if some virtuoso can take real advantage of it

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: June 26, 2008 01:45

Add reverb (analog if possible) to the main vocal part(first song)...a bit too dry....I know you Country cats hate that, but it'll stand you apart from the rest....also, drums are too hot_I think need completely re-engineering. Sound REALLY NEEDS FATTENING UP...bass them up a bit...Also, harp needs more reverb (play harp through any good Fender Reverb amo with 10 inch speakers...it breaks up better... on The Byrd....What mic is used for harp? Ecstatic? Bullet? Banjo slightly louder in Whos in Whos Out.

more later....Its making me want to jam...Your slide player is KILLER..

Keep rockin'!

JR

Date: June 26, 2008 20:21

stone-relics
more later....Its making me want to jam...Your slide player is KILLER..

JR

That's me!

The whole thing was recorded in an analogue studio and there's no digital effects in there whatsoever.

The mic was an old ball and biscuit one, from the 30s or 40s I think.

Cheers for the comments.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: June 26, 2008 21:02

Hey hag....you guys sound good as sh!t....and I mean that in a good way. I absolutely love a pedal steel guitar. Thanks for sharing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1109
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home