Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Land Of Hope And Glory
Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 20, 2008 21:05

Land Of Hope And Glory... They played this song at an "school's out" day I attended today. Every time I hear this great English national hymn/anthem I get sentimantal and a bit sad, because that was the song they played as we walked out of Wembley Stadium after the two Stones shows in summer of 1982. Then I had to wait more than 7 years until the next Stones shows I could attend in NYC Shea Stadium 1989. The song is sort of "goodbye Stones", but luckily I got to see then again, many times.

Bjornulf

Re: Land Of Hope And Glory
Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: June 20, 2008 21:23

I was at one of those shows at Wembley 1982. Land Of Hope And Glory still gives me a lump in my throat. Where better to see the Stones. In London, where it all started.

Posted by: David Neal ()
Date: June 20, 2008 21:35

i was at that show in '89....Clapton palyed on Little Red Rooster

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 21, 2008 00:52

Yup, was at both those 82 shows. Not the best gigs the Stones have ever done but fun nevertheless. Unfortunately the song has been hijacked by the far right and has associations with the National Front now.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 21, 2008 01:59

remember that movie about WW II England calle Hope and Glory? that was pretty good.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 21, 2008 02:10

Silver Dagger
Yup, was at both those 82 shows. Not the best gigs the Stones have ever done but fun nevertheless. Unfortunately the song has been hijacked by the far right and has associations with the National Front now.

Only because (like other things) it was allowed to be.

Hijack it back.

LOHAG was a great finale to the 1982 Wembley shows (wasnt there myself but its a great moment on the video of the 2nd show seeing the crowd sing along at the end)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-21 02:11 by Gazza.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: June 21, 2008 07:33

bv
Land Of Hope And Glory... They played this song at an "school's out" day I attended today. Every time I hear this great English national hymn/anthem I get sentimantal and a bit sad, because that was the song they played as we walked out of Wembley Stadium after the two Stones shows in summer of 1982. Then I had to wait more than 7 years until the next Stones shows I could attend in NYC Shea Stadium 1989. The song is sort of "goodbye Stones", but luckily I got to see then again, many times.

hmmmm, this must mean something beyond the obvious.... BV, are you saying the Stones won't be touring again for many many years?? Did you hear something new? .... Something is going on here I think... It has a melancholy tone......

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 21, 2008 07:42

HelterSkelter
bv

hmmmm, this must mean something beyond the obvious.... BV, are you saying the Stones won't be touring again for many many years?? Did you hear something new? .... Something is going on here I think... It has a melancholy tone......

Don't read too much into it Helter, I think bv is just as bored as the rest of us with no stones news going on.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 21, 2008 09:35

"Land Of Hope And Glory"... Hmmm, I don't know that one.

Could you hum a few bars into the computer?

Date: June 21, 2008 10:49

Silver Dagger

Disagree. The far right do not have a monopoly over Land of Hope and Glory. Neither do they have a monopoly over the Union Jack.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: June 21, 2008 11:21

Gazza
Silver Dagger

Only because (like other things) it was allowed to be.

Hijack it back.

LOHAG was a great finale to the 1982 Wembley shows (wasnt there myself but its a great moment on the video of the 2nd show seeing the crowd sing along at the end)

Gazza, were you at the '82 Newcastle show? Am I correct in recalling that they played the 1812 Overture during the firework finale?

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 21, 2008 12:48

I was always more for Rule Britannia than Land Of Hope And Glory. I usually watch last night at the proms.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: June 21, 2008 12:55

"Land Of Hope And Glory"...

on the who's "a quick one"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1835
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home