Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

ot- Rod Stewart voice
Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: June 13, 2008 21:54

Any die-hard fans of Rod too here??
Im one. To me his voice is the only one that can compete with Jagger's one in rocknroll history. I love almost all of his work, the faces, his seventies solo album, I adore his 80s albums too. Lately seems that his voice has lost a bit of his power. When do you think this happened? I'd say at the end of 90s. Dont tell me he lost his voice in 1975: just watch on youtube his live performance from 81-82-83, 88-89, 91 and unplugged 1993 tours. His voice was at the top still in early nineties. Was the throat cancer?
Anyway he's still the MAN, Im looking forward to go to see him live!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-13 22:00 by farawayeyes2.

Re: ot- Rod Stewart voice
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 13, 2008 21:59

Yeah, I'm a big fan, been going to see him for over 30 years (No Faces yet though, but I'm hoping).

He had some throat issues (nodes or even cancer), but has recovered. I think the only change is due to age. Hard to top that vocal on "Reason To Believe" from Every Picture.

Always a great live performer. Lots of ladies at his shows too. Some (like Rod and myself) are showing their age!

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 13, 2008 22:49

Saw him in late May. Very much worth seeing.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: June 13, 2008 22:50

I think he lost much of his rawness by the late seventies as his voice became a little higher and more smooth and since then his voice has gradually weakened, especially in the last ten years.

Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: June 13, 2008 23:08

I think Rod was good up til the 90's. He still puts on a dynamite show tho'. I'd sure love to see him this summer. Anyone know if he is adding dates after September or is that it.

Date: June 14, 2008 09:16

First four solo albums were brilliant. After that he tanked.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: June 14, 2008 09:20

to compare rod stewart to mick jagger is not really very nice to mr. jagger.
it´s nowhere near the same league.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: June 14, 2008 10:38

Rod Stewart isn't fit to carry Mick Jagger's soiled undergarments. He had a nice run between his first four solo albums and the Faces albums in the early 70's, but he's been utter crap since then, possibly the biggest waste of talent in the history of rock 'n' roll. Except for diehards, the worthwhile tracks he's recorded after Never a Dull Moment can be counted on one hand.

Re: OT: Rod Stewart's voice
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 14, 2008 11:12

hm well so lots of us haven't found much (or any) reason to follow Rod's work after the mid-70s
but if the thread is trying to be about his voice rather than about his repertoire/image:
while i was still keeping track of him, he sure did have an amazing voice - no one else sounded like that.
which is of course also true of Mick (and it's nothing to do with "who's better" - just two inimitably distinctive great voices).
i'd love to read a trained vocal expert's description of the qualities of Rod's voice, if anyone (otonneau?) feels up to it ...

farawayeyes2, i'm sorry i can't comment on your question about the way his voice has changed recently,
but like i said i haven't been following what he does.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-14 17:32 by with sssoul.

Date: June 14, 2008 13:24

stoneswashed77

I did not open this thread trying to say Rod is better than Mick. As sssoul said, It was about his voice, which I think is one of the most particular, extraordinary, and powerful in rock'n'roll history.

Date: June 14, 2008 16:15

Farawayeyes2: You're absouluetely correct. He is a man with a unique voice. There won't be another one to compare. He's great.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: June 14, 2008 19:06

"I did not open this thread trying to say Rod is better than Mick. As sssoul said, It was about his voice, which I think is one of the most particular, extraordinary, and powerful in rock'n'roll history."

i did understand that and i think it´s completely wrong from a musical standpoint regarding the voice.

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: June 14, 2008 20:52

stoneswashed77

apples and oranges, as they say.

Rod couldn't carry "Midnight Rambler"

I can't picture mick doing "Lost Paraguayos"

but they can both, however, do Love in Vain.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: June 14, 2008 21:48

That Scot can sing....Even my Mom, God rest her, enjoyed him. Her fave was People Get Ready....I hope she was hearing it, as she passed.

JR

Posted by: Ron Wud ()
Date: June 14, 2008 22:33

"Mick Jaggers' everything a rock 'n' roll singer should be, but I can sing the pants off him." - Rod Stewart 'My Top 12' Radio 1, 1974

Posted by: Dutch guy ()
Date: June 14, 2008 23:28

The Stewart man now sings dinner jazz! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! Why?????

IORR needs to unite to stop the Stewart dinner jazz NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!It does not rock!!!

Posted by: DKsoulman ()
Date: June 15, 2008 01:22

Just saw him 2 days ago her in Denmark. Man it was great. He only did play for 1½ hours, normaly 2 hours. But it was the best 1½ hour concert I have ever seen. He was in shape, and all that. He don't move around the stage as much as Mick Jagger. But why does Mick that? Does he have something to hide? His borring voice? The bad guitar players in the band? just kidding, love Stones as well.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 15, 2008 01:29

Dutch guy
The Stewart man now sings dinner jazz! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! Why?????

IORR needs to unite to stop the Stewart dinner jazz NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!It does not rock!!!

Conflict!
I love the Faces and Jeff Beck Group that brought us Rod.
My (78 year old) father loves the dinner jazz version of Mr. Stewart,

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: June 15, 2008 02:07

I'd absolutely love to hear Rod sing aS a guest with the Stones .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-15 02:14 by boston2006.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: June 16, 2008 03:17

Personally, I think his version of "Rocks Off" is dynamite.

Drew

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: June 16, 2008 17:08

I really think, from the Jeff Beck Group, Faces, then solo up through maybe "Footloose and Fancy Free" or maybe as far as "Foolish Behavior" he put out some of the best music on the planet.

Seems to have went on a steady decline after that...

Date: June 16, 2008 22:51

I would take it up to Out of Order.

Date: June 17, 2008 00:04

"Body Wishes" was really awful.

Date: June 17, 2008 00:58

Elmo I LOVE Body Wishes!
Baby Jane, Body Wishes, Ready Now, Sweet Surrender (one of the best sweet ballads from him imo) are great songs. Then his voice in 1983 was goood
I think also Tonight I'm yours and Out of Order, among the others from 80s , are very good albums.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-17 01:05 by farawayeyes2.

Posted by: DKsoulman ()
Date: June 17, 2008 01:25

His voice was great in the 80's. Unfortanlly not his music. Out Of Order (1988) was great. The best he had done since 1972. And then the single Downtown Train (1989) Also A Spanner In The Works And When We Were The New Boys from 1995 and 1998 was great, but no hit at all. After that he gone done the hill. But he is still great live.

Date: June 17, 2008 03:29

IMHO, "Baby Jane" is servicable at best - and it was the best thing on BW. Please note that I am a big and long-term fan of Rod. "Foot Loose And Fancy Free" was the soundtrack of my senior year (along with Love You Live).

Date: June 17, 2008 04:14

I like Vagabond Heart..some nice songs on there but not all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1051
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home