Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Not the Rolling Stones thread
Posted by: ERC6761 ()
Date: June 12, 2008 14:56

Going into a record store is a bit like going into a wine shop or bookstore. There's hundreds of products there that you know you'd like if only you knew which they are. Bottom line is you don't know and end up missing out on lots of stuff that you know you'd like.

So how about a thread offering up ideas for CD's, bands etc which would not get the wider audience - maybe they've now disbanded or Cd's have slipped off the radar.

To start with - Died Pretty, an Aussie band from early to mid 90's.

The two essential albums being, Free Dirt and Doughboy Hollow.

Do yourself a favour, check them out, you won't be dissapointed.

Re: Not the Rolling Stones thread
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 12, 2008 15:07

Died Pretty nice choice....Free Dirt YEAH!!!
Spent many an hour thrashin' that one...Use to
collect all those early picture sleeve 7" singles....
Was talking to Ron Peno only recently....quite a gentleman...

ROCKMAN

Date: June 13, 2008 02:12

ERC6761
Going into a record store is a bit like going into a wine shop or bookstore. There's hundreds of products there that you know you'd like if only you knew which they are. Bottom line is you don't know and end up missing out on lots of stuff that you know you'd like.

So how about a thread offering up ideas for CD's, bands etc which would not get the wider audience - maybe they've now disbanded or Cd's have slipped off the radar.

Date: June 13, 2008 02:17

ERC6761
ERC6761

Silly of course to think that this topic could generate any interest when, after all, theres far more pressing matters like debating which is the best version of JJF from 78 tour, whether MJ is happy and KR hairstyles.

oh well

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 13, 2008 02:28

you sound like a bitter man...

of course theres tons of music out there which is quite nice, and Ive been exploring the wide field of music since a couple of decades now, but in recent years I have cme back to the classic stuff, realizing that a lot of good music did not stand the test of time very well and that theres a reason why the likes of the Stones, Beatles, Dylan and so on made it big time and other artists and bands not quite so.

its nice to listen to obscure bands like Irish Coffee, but in the end, it can also take away the attention from the truly great stuff.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: June 13, 2008 02:56

In terms of 'true greats' who have emerged during the last few years, and who actually MIGHT be able to stand the test of time, I can only think of Ryan Adams as someone who quite arguably could be described as some sort of 'pretender to the crown'. Though whose crown exactly, I couldn't quite say, such is his versatility.

Too inconsistent for most people perhaps, with a couple of turkeys to his name, so trawling through his stuff indiscriminantly, and selecting what you like, is the secret to becoming a fan.

A lot more reliable than Neil Young, mind!

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: June 13, 2008 04:25

Here's a little known cd to check out.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: June 13, 2008 05:40

Great thread. I find it hard to track down new music these days; I count on friends whose taste I trust. so here are a few I discovered through others:

Old 97s -- "Too Far to Care". This band smokes live, and the singer is a great lyricist.

Mike Ireland and Holler -- A virtual unknown in pure country (i.e. not glossy Nashville) -- check out "Learning How to Live" or "Try Again".

Jackpot -- "Weightless" -- a lo-fi Indie band from CA.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1467
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home