Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Official Shine A Light DVD Announcement
Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: June 5, 2008 14:29

JumpingKentFlash
It will be released on my dad's birthday. So he'll get that one from me. I'll buy both the DVD and the Blu-Ray that day. smiling smiley

What is Blu-Ray ?

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: June 5, 2008 14:35

boston2006
JumpingKentFlash
It will be released on my dad's birthday. So he'll get that one from me. I'll buy both the DVD and the Blu-Ray that day. smiling smiley

What is Blu-Ray ?

Where have you been lately? The disc that suceeds DVD.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 5, 2008 14:58

odean73
Just recieved an e-mail alert from play.com for SAL and the release date according to there web site is 1/10/08.

Why so long for the UK and presumbly europe?

Retailing at £12.99 and free delivery.smileys with beer

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 5, 2008 15:43

boston2006
JumpingKentFlash

What is Blu-Ray ?

It's the format that, supposedly, will take over from DVD. A DVD has 8GB of space (I think) and a Blu-Ray can have as much as 25GB if I remember correctly. If you buy a Playstation 3 (Like I have) you can watch Blu-Ray discs. The picture and sound is stunning, but it's not as big an improvement as it should have been. My movie set-up at home is a Sony Bravia 44" 1080p, a Playstation 3 (Which I play PS3 games on and watch DVDs and Blu-Rays on) and finally a NAD T744 surround reciever. I'm buying some better speakers this month for it. So it's pretty kick-ass. And I can't wait to see Shine A Light on it. Four Flicks and The Biggest Bang sure looks very good on it.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: June 5, 2008 19:04

Blu Ray discs display the highest resolution possible with today's HD TV's which is 1920 x 1080,also known as 1080p so,there was not a possibility for greater improvement than what they deliver.The difference is more noticable with larger HD TV's that have a native resolution of 1920 x 1080.As I said before,the optimum would be something in the neighbourhood of 57 inches to notice the difference between 1080p (progressive) and 1080i (interlaced).You will notice very good improvement with an HD TV in the 40 inch range but not quite the full advantage.Another factor is the type of equipment used to shoot different movies and films as well as the process of transferring the video to disc.Old films not shot with high definition equipment will only benefit a little bit.

A single layer DVD has a capacity of 4.7 GB,a double layer DVD has a capacity of 8.5 GB,a single layer Blu Ray disc has a capacity of 25 GB,and a double layer Blu Ray disc has a capacity of 50 GB.

They could have put high definition video on regular DVD's but the big problem was that only around 55 minutes of it would fit on a single layer DVD and only approximately 1 hour and forty minutes (or less) of it would fit on a double layer DVD which is not enough for most movies and even if a short movie would have fit,it would have left very little to no room for extras,previews and bonus.

The huge storage capacity of Blu Ray discs enables room for improvement.For example,if 1440p HD TV's become available in five years,the Blu Ray format will have plenty of capacity to handle that higher resolution as well.In that event,they would just need players that would output the 1440p resolution (which would not be too difficult) as current players max out at 1080p to match the capabilities of current TV's.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 5, 2008 19:11

Goddamn. I'm still watching regular old DVDs on an old TV. I don't get how people can afford the HDs with how much they cost. And then have to go out and replace the old DVDs to work on a stinking Blu-ray? Not with a tank of gas costing me over $100! I'll be happy with what I have for now.

Date: June 5, 2008 19:18

DVD's are very high quality,much better than anything before DVD.Right now,Blu Ray is a luxury.If you did buy a Blu Ray player,however,you would not need to replace your DVD's because Blu Ray players play DVD's as well.Some Blu Ray players play DVD's in the highest possible quality that can be squeezed out of them.

Date: June 5, 2008 19:46

JumpingKentFlash
boston2006
JumpingKentFlash

What is Blu-Ray ?

It's the format that, supposedly, will take over from DVD. My movie set-up at home is a Sony Bravia 44" 1080p, a Playstation 3 (Which I play PS3 games on and watch DVDs and Blu-Rays on) and finally a NAD T744 surround reciever. I'm buying some better speakers this month for it. So it's pretty kick-ass. And I can't wait to see Shine A Light on it.

Playstation 3 owners should be aware that there is a relatively new firmware (software) update available for the unit from the official Playstation 3 website.This update is a huge upgrade for Blu Ray features.It enables the unit to handle (internally decode) the advanced surround sound formats : DTS HD Master Audio and Dolby True HD.The PS 3 needs to have this update applied to be able to do that.It is called "System Software Update version 2.35" .

Here is some good info on what the update offers : [gizmodo.com]

Here is the direct link for the U.S. version of the update : [www.us.playstation.com]

Here is the link to the official Playstation site where you can select your region of the world : [www.playstation.com] Just select your region,Playstation 3 and follow the links for support and system software update.Version 2.35 is the latest update,the one that you currently want.

If you choose to apply this update make sure that you don't lose power,unplug the unit,or switch off the unit during the process.It's alright to do that after the update is completely finished according to the official instructions.Overall,if you have not already done it,it's a pretty easy and beneficial update.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 6, 2008 15:15

Gazza,
I thought I'd read somewhere that it was originally to be released on 9/23, and I remember kidding my wife that I was going to get it for her for her birthday.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 6, 2008 15:22

I dont think so, mate. I think this is the first time there's been a proper announcement - anything else was speculation. Pretty much every date I'd heard was around July-August as far as I recall.

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: June 6, 2008 16:12

No date at all on Amazon UK. We'll be in the US for the release date, so I know what I will buy myself for a holiday souvenir.

odean73
Just recieved an e-mail alert from play.com for SAL and the release date according to there web site is 1/10/08.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 6, 2008 17:06

Stargroves
No date at all on Amazon UK. We'll be in the US for the release date, so I know what I will buy myself for a holiday souvenir.

odean73

Bring me one back.drinking smiley

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 6, 2008 17:29

Well that's good to know, that B-R will play regular ol' DVDs.

As if they are old. That's why I don't bother with buying anything new if I can help it. It takes me a year just to figure out how to work my cellphone, why would I buy a new iThis and iThat when they keep changing everything every 6 months it seems?

Ha ha. As long as music is released on record, my CD library will continue to grow.

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: June 6, 2008 17:36

odean73
Bring me one back.drinking smiley[/quote

Yeah, I can do that

Date: June 7, 2008 04:38

Come to think of it,it's been well over ten years since DVD's took off.

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: June 7, 2008 17:31

You can buy the US version (region 1) in Europe earlier here:
[www.axelmusic.com]
(I bought the Biggest Bang box there too)

Date: June 8, 2008 00:46

Glad to get the DVD so soon. I think I'll be taking the 29th of July off work. Can't wait to watch Champagne & Reefer again. Truly awesome!!

Date: June 13, 2008 19:08

PS 3 owners : Don't bother thanking me for the free advice nine or ten posts up.It's all good.

Date: June 13, 2008 19:10

Winning Ugly VXII
PS 3 owners : Don't bother thanking me for the free advice nine or ten posts up.It's all good.

We are all sane people here. We got a Wii.

Date: June 13, 2008 19:17

But thanks for the info, don't want to come across like an @#$%& now winking smiley

Date: June 13, 2008 21:16

I don't either but,I figured that I at least helped out (if nobody else) the guy with the PS 3 who didn't hear as big an improvement with Blu Ray discs as he could/should with Blu Ray discs that inlude Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master Audio soundtracks (such as the forthcoming "Shine A Light" Blu Ray disc) because he probably did not have things set up as needed to benefit.

Come to think of it,there are a few other things that come into play under the PS 3 Blu Ray playback scenario :

A) The PS 3 has no analog multi-channel audio outputs therefore,to get the high resolution surround sound,you will need to be using an HDMI (version 1.3 certified) cable to connect the PS 3 to an HDMI version 1.3 equipped receiver which,unfortunately,the NAD T744 is not.With that particular receiver,you should be able to get the high resolution sound in two channels (if you apply the latest software update to the PS 3) or standard compressed DVD soundtrack sound for multi-channel if surround sound is possible with the PS 3 without using HDMI.

b) As with most Blu Ray players,you need to be using an HDMI cable for video as well to get 1080p high definition.Component (red,blue,green) cables are limited to 1080i or lower with Blu Ray.

A composite video cable,which is the yellow plug video cable (that is usually accompanied by the red and white audio cables and is the only cable included in the PS 3 box) is only capable of a low 480i resolution.

So,to sum it up,under the PS 3 Blu Ray playback scenario,you need an HDMI equipped receiver OR you can keep the non-HDMI receiver and buy a new Blu Ray player with analog multi-channel audio outputs (ideally 7.1 channel) that also can internally decode Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio ( such as the soon to be released Pioneer BDP-05FD ) OR live with two channels of high resolution sound OR you could upgrade both but,upgrading one of the two should be sufficient.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-13 22:55 by Winning Ugly VXII.

Posted by: RadioMarv ()
Date: June 13, 2008 23:29

skipstone
Goddamn. I'm still watching regular old DVDs on an old TV. I don't get how people can afford the HDs with how much they cost. And then have to go out and replace the old DVDs to work on a stinking Blu-ray? Not with a tank of gas costing me over $100! I'll be happy with what I have for now.

Not a problem, Blu-Ray player are backward compatable and play all CDs and DVDs

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 13, 2008 23:51

.....already on sale for a discounted price of $19.99.........[www.tlavideo.com]

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: June 14, 2008 00:10

Got my 46 inch full HD plasma 2 days ago (http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Televisions/VIERA-174-Flat-Panel-HDTVs/model.TH-46PZ850U_11002_7000000000000005702), and will get my PS 3 next week. From what I´ve seen so far is that analog tv is worse than on a CRT-tv, but DVD:s look much better. Digital channels are way OK.
I put on LSTNT earlier this evening and it was a revelation! The picture was so much better than before. My first Blu ray disc will be ZZ Top Live In Texas, so let me get back with a short review on that, before SAL lands here in Blu Ray.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: June 21, 2008 20:06

Playstation 3 System Software Update version 2.36 is now out.It includes the big updates from version 2.30 as well as 2.35.Make sure to have this done (at least 2.30) especially if you plan to play the Shine A Light Blu-Ray disc on it.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2296
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home