Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Satisfaction : ABB tour
Posted by: olorin ()
Date: May 30, 2008 22:11

I think everybody notice the new version of Satisfaction during the late tour with a new intro and above all else some jam at the very end of the song. I liked very much that new version and I think they should try to rearrange some warhorses on next tour with intro, riff evolution (like SFM since Voodoo Tour). These songs are good enough to accept some changings. I'm tired of the old same version of BS, HTW and YCALGWYW.

I'm just thinking that they also rearranged JJF (with no horns), SFTD (since Licks, piano intro), MY (no sax - bad thing)!

What do you think about it? Like it? Wishes??

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-30 22:11 by olorin.

Re: Satisfaction : ABB tour
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 30, 2008 22:28

>> Like it? <<

like it.

Keith launched Satisfaction that way at some shows in 06 as well -
i call it "the Flashpoint opening" and i dig it a lot. and the sound he gets out of that Gibson -
and that crashing burning semi-restart can't-let-it-go ending - my my! like it. yeah :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-30 22:33 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 30, 2008 22:33

I think one thing's for sure...the Stones don't notice they're playing a song differently. Satisfaction is one that has morphed differently from tour to tour. You can almost hear any version and practically guess what tour that's from. There's no reason why it's gone through the slight formations throughout the years but it's a natural progression and it's the only song that we can actually hear it age (and for the most part it ages very well).

Keith adding the 6th string to the intro is a small facelift for the song...it doesn't change it too much. It gives it a more heavier sound. The notes to the riff are basically the blues shuffle in E anyway. Him adding the 6th string lends itself very easily.

19th Nervous Breakdown as it was done twice on the ABB tour was the only song that they all consciously recognized as being different. The whole song was stripped down and redesigned---with splendid results, I thought. For the most part...I don't think they're too adventurous when it comes to updating their songs. They like to stick with original arrangements and playing it straight. It's a quality that I dont' appreciate much from them.

But honestly, I think they like to keep it straight and simple because it's easier and they don't have to bother learning a different way therefore making it feel like a "new" song. My feeling is that all the warhorses have stayed the same these years because it's their part in the show where they can just put it on autopilot and not think twice about what's going on. The first half of the show is them probably most on their toes then the second half they can relax. Much like the audience watching them: they can now enjoy the show also*

*The views and opinions expressed in this post are strictly that of Justin and in no way expresses or represents the views or opinions of other Rolling Stones fans.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-30 22:43 by Justin.

Posted by: Keith The Beast ()
Date: May 30, 2008 22:41

I absolutely loved the little jazz jam at the end of Satisfaction. Wonderful. I wish they would bring back the "Hit me 1 time, hit me 2 times...." little thing they used to do during the Steel Wheels Tour tour. I'm afraid JJF and SMU don't work in diferent versions. They could do SFM like they used to on the 70's, building and building at the beginning. That was cool. They'll never change It's Only Rock N' Roll and Tumbling Dice I don't think. But I would love to hear the entire version of Tumbling Dice on piano like they were going to do for Stripped. The Twickenham version of Gimme Shelter is fantastic with the little jam on the feeling of the song during the beginning. I loved that and wouldn't mind hearing that again. It's a shame they played so little of their new version of 19th Nervous Breakdown, I would like to hear it again.

Posted by: milio77 ()
Date: May 30, 2008 23:35

For me, Mr. Watts alone brought new life to Start Me Up since Licks (If I remember it well) just by drumming with a little more swing. I Just love the way he plays on that particular one, hitting hard off beat in between guitar riffs, more fluent than in previous versions when he just played a regular 4x4 beat.

Killer SMU versions in Licks and SAL.

Maybe there should be a new thread about Charlie: did he play as good as usual in the last tours or even better?

I'd say better...

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 31, 2008 01:55

I dont know but after the 81-82 tour satisfaction has become a beer break song for me, unless they open with it of course, but other than that its not my cup of joe anymore, but thats just me, i know alot of people still love hearing it

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: May 31, 2008 01:59

Justin
*The views and opinions expressed in this post are strictly that of Justin and in no way expresses or represents the views or opinions of other Rolling Stones fans.

Brilliant!! smileys with beer

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 31, 2008 07:09

When I got Licks and heard Satisfaction I about spit my beer all over my windshield - I could have SWORN it was the Flashpoint version!

I don't know what version is 'good' or not. I was so used to hearing the Still Life one for eons I got used to it, even though it is terrible.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2389
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home