Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: macca gives away latest cd in sunday paper
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 19, 2008 15:14

Only if its indoors. Although, if its along the lines of previous tours, I wouldnt expect the Stones to be playing Europe until 2010.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 19, 2008 15:24

Gazza
Only if its indoors. Although, if its along the lines of previous tours, I wouldnt expect the Stones to be playing Europe until 2010.

Oh yeah, right. Probably Europe will be 2010. But I think I'll go to the USA to catch a show at Madison Square Garden anyway. For me, that's the next frontier.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: May 19, 2008 15:29

Not for me. Too pricey and too much cancellation risk involved with a Stones show these days to take that chance.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 19, 2008 18:33

Since Mick said they'd be doing shorter tours back whenever they've actually gotten longer. So expect the Stones to be in Europe, let's see, if the tour actually does start in 2009, they won't be to Europe until 2011. Ha ha.

The 2009-2012 Last Time Tour

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 19, 2008 19:01

The thing about the typical Stones "world tour" is that that once it's rolling, it's much easier to carry on than to stop !
I suspect that the planned length of tours in recent years has been rather open ended, with optional extensions bolted on as circumstances and the markets require.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-19 19:02 by Spud.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 19, 2008 19:03

I think Macca's new album is crap. Personally I don't think he's made a decent album since which ever one had World Tonight on it.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: May 19, 2008 19:27

Gazza
I cant even remember half of what he played to be honest. There wasnt even that many Prince songs. Lots of funk stuff for the most part and a few covers. The guy who was the opening act at the 02 show that night (cant even remember his name as I missed his set - a rapper...his name begins with "C" - maybe Nikolai or someone knows) did a lot of the vocals and was excellent. While a lot of it was probably improvised, the band sounded like they were joined at the hip. I was there with SweetVirginia and Meg and the 3 of us were literally laughing at how good it was. Simply outrageous to have played a terrfic main show in front of about 15,000 people and then just turn up at a club a couple of hours later and pull off something that was even more brilliant.

Gazza? You called?

That was Common, mate. One of the few rappers worth listening to these days - in my book. He's now also turned actor (and quite a good one).

Those Indigo aftershows were the nuts - better, I thought, than the big gigs. I saw one amazing night when it was Prince, a drummer and a bassist. Absolutely STUNNING two hour gig.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: May 19, 2008 19:38

VoodooLounge13
I think Macca's new album is crap. Personally I don't think he's made a decent album since which ever one had World Tonight on it.

It's called "Flaming Pie", and it's really good. I kind of like "memory Almost Full", I think it's very underrated. There are some gems on it.

Date: May 19, 2008 19:45

Nikolai
Gazza
I cant even remember half of what he played to be honest. There wasnt even that many Prince songs. Lots of funk stuff for the most part and a few covers. The guy who was the opening act at the 02 show that night (cant even remember his name as I missed his set - a rapper...his name begins with "C" - maybe Nikolai or someone knows) did a lot of the vocals and was excellent. While a lot of it was probably improvised, the band sounded like they were joined at the hip. I was there with SweetVirginia and Meg and the 3 of us were literally laughing at how good it was. Simply outrageous to have played a terrfic main show in front of about 15,000 people and then just turn up at a club a couple of hours later and pull off something that was even more brilliant.

Gazza? You called?

That was Common, mate. One of the few rappers worth listening to these days - in my book. He's now also turned actor (and quite a good one).

Thats the dude. I thought he was excellent.

Re: the value of music
Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: May 19, 2008 20:30

with sssoul
>> Am i missing something here, how will he make any money? <<

Prince was paid by the newspaper, and until further notice i'd assume McCartney has been too.
(what alarms me is the devaluation of the music from the consumers' perspective:
the giveaway supports a perception of recorded music as something one shouldn't have to pay for.
i grew up in an era & mindframe in which recorded music was a glorious world-changing revelation.
it's very hard to get comfortable with the way it seems to be heading for "flash in the pan" status.)

The days of artists charging for new music is practically dead and in a few years will be. It doesn't mean the music is worthless or a flash in the pan - the quality of a song has nothing to do with how much someone did or didn't pay for it.

It's just that the economic model has changed and there's more money to be made on touring, merchandising, ringtones, licensing songs to movies and video games, etc. Giving away music is actually good business for artists, because giving it away ensures that more people will hear it, and the more people who hear it the more those other revenue streams open up.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 19, 2008 21:19

Thanks Wild - I was running to a meeting and couldnt look it up!

Posted by: McCartney ()
Date: May 19, 2008 22:27

JumpingKentFlash
Memory Almost Full is not as good as Chaos & Creation In The Backyard. It seems like it's songs he had left over. In that respect it resembles Bowie's Reality album. Memory is good, but not at all great.

Totally agree. I think the only reason this one did a bit better in sales is because of the 'starbucks' connection. Chaos is far superior. To get back to the subject line, all the hard core Paul fans have already bought the various editions, no harm now giving it away. He might gain a few fans for his upcoming tour.

Re: the value of music
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 19, 2008 23:10

>> The days of artists charging for new music is practically dead and ... <<

yeah thanks - i am cognizant of the proposed paradigm you describe,
and treating recordings as an advertising gimmick to get more people to pay for concert tickets
is part of what i call "flash in the pan" status for recorded music. what you describe
is a return to the wandering-minstrel paradigm of music distribution, only with slightly higher-tech advertising.
which might be dandy - i have trouble feeling comfortable with it anyway. but thanks -
i'll direct folks to you for an explanation when the complaints about ticket prices start again :E

Date: May 20, 2008 01:08

..and I'll direct you back to how Prince managed to do it for £31 a ticket.....tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: May 20, 2008 01:09

.... unbelieveable,, is it too difficult to imagine someone just wanting to

give something away, so they do????

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: May 20, 2008 09:30

I don't rate Paul's new music but people buy it because he is an ex Beatle, that's why he is megga rich. When he goes out on tour the best bits are the Beatles songs, its great to hear those songs live but imagine going to his concert if he was never a Beatle and listning to his new music, no thanks

Date: May 20, 2008 11:32

pgarof
I don't rate Paul's new music but people buy it because he is an ex Beatle, that's why he is megga rich. When he goes out on tour the best bits are the Beatles songs, its great to hear those songs live but imagine going to his concert if he was never a Beatle and listning to his new music, no thanks

I'd go for Wings and solo stuff too. If he chose to skip the Beatles catalogue I'd still go see him.

Wild Slivovitz
VoodooLounge13

It's called "Flaming Pie", and it's really good. I kind of like "memory Almost Full", I think it's very underrated. There are some gems on it.

I believe the term is "awesome". I think it's the best album he's made.

Gazza
Not for me. Too pricey and too much cancellation risk involved with a Stones show these days to take that chance.

I see your point, but it's a risk I must take. You've alreaady been to a USA gig no?

JumpingKentFlash

Date: May 20, 2008 14:35

JumpingKentFlash

I see your point, but it's a risk I must take. You've alreaady been to a USA gig no?

yes..I've been to see the Stones in the US four times (two shows each time) between March 1999 and Jan. 2006.

Date: May 20, 2008 16:27

Gazza
JumpingKentFlash

yes..I've been to see the Stones in the US four times (two shows each time) between March 1999 and Jan. 2006.

So.... Any good? grinning smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: McCartney ()
Date: May 20, 2008 18:55

[I'd go for Wings and solo stuff too. If he chose to skip the Beatles catalogue I'd still go see him.

I agree. On his website many fans complain of the amount of Beatle vs Solo/Wings tunes he performs. The man has created music for 46 years yet continues to play 70% of the show concentrating on a 6 year period of 1964-1969. On the '89-'90 tour it was great to finally hear Beatle tunes he never played but he's now done 3 world tours after that and it's still a mostly Beatle show. In my opinion it's time to do more Wings and McCartney material.

Date: May 20, 2008 21:15

JumpingKentFlash
Gazza
JumpingKentFlash

So.... Any good? grinning smiley

Who - the Stones or the US?

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: May 21, 2008 01:54

I thought "Memory Almost Full" was quite a good record."

It got to #3 in the States (just missed #1) and stayed in the top 10 for a month. He also got some decent airplay with "Dance Tonight" as well as some play over at VH-1.
The album went platinum in the US.

MAF also did quote well on the world charts.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 21, 2008 04:11

I would love to hear a lot more Wings stuff played live. I still remember seeing Wings at only my second concert ever. Also saw him solo once. Great shows.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: May 21, 2008 15:44

JumpingKentFlash
Memory Almost Full is not as good as Chaos & Creation In The Backyard. It seems like it's songs he had left over. In that respect it resembles Bowie's Reality album. Memory is good, but not at all great.

Spot on, Kent.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 23, 2008 09:01

They are left overs from Chaos. He presented a lot of those songs to the producer, Nigel Godrich, who told Macca to go back to the drawing board and by both men's account that was an uncomfortable discussion, Paul not used to someone telling him what to...but it worked. Great disc. But I also like Memory, has some good stuff on it. Only Momma Knows is a great rocker. The medly is interesting as well. The production though has some problems with digital destorion on a few of the song, which Macca acknowledge in an interview.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-23 10:07 by whitem8.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1586
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home