Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT:NEIL YOUNG ARCHIVES (Vol.1) out in Oct. on 10 Blu-ray DVD Discs !!!
Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: May 18, 2008 03:29

"It's going to be VERY expensive because it's very good" said Neil Young as he showed a demo of the first set of his ARCHIVES series (20 years in the planning) at a San Francisco news conference on May 6th. TEN Blu-Ray Discs, 100's of hours of Outtakes, Live, and Unreleased songs from THE SQUIRES (his first High School Band), BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD, and his early SOLO CAREER (CSN&Y was not mentioned - may or may not be included) will be out this OCTOBER, 2008.

This groundbreaking BOX SET will cover the years from 1963 to 1972 and "Updates will become available, just like video games" said YOUNG, "it's never finished". Also included will be rare concert footage, lyric sheets, press clippings, and home movies. The sound quality of Blu-Ray discs is highly superior to the 25 year old technology of the CD (which is only slightly better than the mp3 format).

Young has 4 or 5 future BOX SETS planned to cover his entire career (no word yet if any of TIME FADES AWAY - the brilliant album he refuses to release on CD - will be covered with these box sets). Amazing news - Sounds GREAT !!!, what do you think? (you will need to pick up a Blu-ray DVD player of course)......

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-18 11:49 by HelterSkelter.

Re: OT:NEIL YOUNG ARCHIVES (Vol.1) out on 10 BLU-RAY DVD DISCS !!!
Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: May 18, 2008 04:35

Am I missing something here?

Neil Young's HIGH SCHOOL BAND??!! Why should should anyone pay good money for this kind of crap?

He should light a match to all this archives nonsense and release a decent triple CD from the 2001 Crazy Horse tour.

Re: OT:NEIL YOUNG ARCHIVES (Vol.1) out in Oct. on 10 Blu-ray DVD Discs !!!
Date: May 18, 2008 11:56

Logie, you must realize, these are (audio) DVD's, not CD's, they are gonna hold just tons of information and sound much better than ANY CD in the end. We are probably talking hundreds and hundreds of songs... a couple high school band one's can't hurt. I have a feeling these are gonna be great, IMHO his early solo period is his best, started to get "hit and miss" later on with all the extreme experimentation and music style changes back and forth....

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 18, 2008 13:02

Helter ...Will Heart Of Gold...Blue Eden ... Silver & Gold...
Red Sun ... Sun Green... Amber Jean and Grey Riders look good on Blue-Ray ?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: May 18, 2008 13:48

My reaction.
I already have maybe 12 Neil Young albums. I,ve heard maybe 50. The official stuff already released is way more than enough. You would need another lifetime to actually listen to all this stuff. Why not buy a CD each by John Coltrane, Caetano Veloso and Bad Brains?, you will see there is whole world of music outside 3 chord country rock songs.

[profile.myspace.com]

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: May 18, 2008 13:59

I'm all for it.
Maybe it is a pain if one has invested in an expensive sacd or dvd-a player. But if this goes ahead than I find it very admirable that an artist cares about quality audio (it will be high resolution and possibly lossless) and release the entire backcatalogue in this way. Plus you get photo's, setlists, outtakes concerts.etc. In fact a dream come true!
Better than crappy mp3's in an Ipod.

But I believe it when I see it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-18 14:10 by barbabang.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: May 18, 2008 14:10

I must admit that I waited eagerly for decades 2 for , well decades, but now i'm underwhelmed by the prospect, a case of TOO MUCH, too late maybe . i have all the Neil Young I really need, as for Time fades Away, well its out there already in the cyber world if you need it. my mate Sean has just given me a CD-ROM with every feckin official Neil Young release on it. Listening to Time fades Away Now, ya great fun album, but has its reputation grown by its absence ?

Oh I love Neil by the way and wouldnt have it any other way. Keep on following your onn path Neil, its what makes ya special

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 18, 2008 18:07

I'll have someone put all the really great stuff onto a single disc for me.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: May 18, 2008 18:13

You are missing the main reason why blu-Ray...you can listen to the music while going through the content. It will not interupt the song or songs. Also, you can go to a website and download additional content to the Blu-Ray disc as it becomes available. He said that's the discs are never really finished, he wants to keep adding content for the fans to download and burn to the Blu-Ray.

Date: May 18, 2008 18:20

No havn't missed tha, heard Neil explain it, A nice and valuable feature ya, but still TOO MUCH STUFF

Posted by: Nikolai ()

Like I've said before, it's great that he's finally releasing this, but typically perverse that he's releasing it in a format that has yet to catch on with the public.

"I don't have the time to read everything that people write"

--Bob Dylan

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: May 18, 2008 18:38

"Yaba Daba Do"

--Fredrick R. Flintstone

Date: May 18, 2008 18:48

tatters

--Bob Dylan

"I always listen to old Neil Young when I'm mowing my front lawn and cleaning my pool out back. I can't get enough of the guy"

--Bob Dylan (later that same day after a few cold ones) smiling smiley

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 18, 2008 18:54

sounds like a feast for neil fans, whats the problem? wish the stones had the balls to do this

Date: May 18, 2008 19:03

This just may start a welcomed trend with all the classic rock bands... Let's hope.... I'll go for OVERKILL rather than UNDERKILL (Stones RARITIES, SUCKING IN THE 70's, etc)

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: May 18, 2008 19:21

humanriff77 wrote:

"My reaction.
I already have maybe 12 Neil Young albums. I,ve heard maybe 50. The official stuff already released is way more than enough. You would need another lifetime to actually listen to all this stuff. Why not buy a CD each by John Coltrane, Caetano Veloso and Bad Brains?, you will see there is whole world of music outside 3 chord country rock songs."

Best said in ages.

PS! My musical taste is so varied that I only need 5 Neil Young albums to satify that part of me.

Date: May 18, 2008 19:33

HelterSkelter
tatters

--Bob Dylan

"I always listen to old Neil Young when I'm mowing my front lawn and cleaning my pool out back. I can't get enough of the guy"

--Bob Dylan (later that same day after a few cold ones) smiling smiley

Bob said that to an interviewer who kept asking him if he had read a certain book by so and so, and had he read this other book by so and so, but I think it applies just as well to music. People are always asking me if I've listened to some new CD by some new band, and really, I don't know how anyone my age can keep up with that stuff. I can't even keep up with the new stuff by the old people that I like.

Date: May 18, 2008 20:17

Yeah, I hear ya tatters, I have stacks of CD's here and there and really don't listen to them like the old days (10 years ago maybe). I don't know what it is exactly.I started watching more news and listening to music less... now THAT is effing stupid, music was good for my nerves, CNN/MSNBC just screws my nerves up.... maybe I'm buying too many CD's with my kind of new addiction to AMAZON (ever since TOWER went under I've been buying MORE - go figure)....

Date: May 18, 2008 20:56

There's no feckin' problem, I've just lost interest in the project, that's all. more to him at the same time. I like his curmudgeonly ways

Posted by: DKsoulman ()
Date: May 19, 2008 00:42

What's the idea to release that old stuff on blue ray? Only if the original material has good sound quality the stuff on the blue ray disc will be good sound quality.

I like very much the idea with release music on blue ray. But it is to much and to old. And yes, I like Neil Young. In my universe he is "figthing" with Stones to be at no. 3 at my personal chart. After Rod Stewart and Beatles. But before Sam Cooke at no. 5. cool smiley

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 19, 2008 00:50

That's great that Neil held this big important press conference in San Francisco announcing his big new important project....But Neil,what's the chances you might actually PLAY a show in San Francisco one of these days?

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1905
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home