Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

VIDEO: Just My Imagination (Live in Hampton, 1981)
Date: May 16, 2008 01:56

Not a very rare video, I know... but this is great. A 9-minute version of "Just My Imagination". Great performance. The band was in top form here. What do you think about this?

Re: VIDEO: Just My Imagination (Live in Hampton, 1981)
Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: May 16, 2008 03:17

I really dislike the band's performance of that song. For me it is a low point. A complete guitar bore.

Posted by: johang ()
Date: May 16, 2008 03:28

The bore is the loooong saxophone should 5% of the time with the same few tones over and over...

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 16, 2008 08:31

It´s a great version...as there are no bad versions of that song.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 16, 2008 13:38

That was the time when Jagger still tried to sing with the full force of his voice. He didn't try to be carefull yet, and the results sound, even quite harshs sometimes, pretty vital and energetic. The way to produce the sound from his throat have really changed ever since. More nose used (nasal) nowadays - sounds perhaps 'prettier', but I think some brutal energy is lost in the process.

I think some of the things is not to do with professional training how to use a voice, but simply technology of how the sound is repeated. I think if you put the Jagger of from 1969 to 1982 to sing in front of you, and take the mike out of him - your ears will still suffer from the loudness. But the post 1989 Jagger, you surely will not have that problem. He sings relatively quietly compared to his past. Even though he makes the impression he sings very loud, even screams in hot songs like "Jumping Jack Flash" and "Brown Sugar", it is not true, but a trick of a master. (And it is not such a good trick because it can be heard so easily). I think that is the reason for the recent lack of feltness or closeness to the songs like that, to be heard, for example, in SAL.

Good example of this 'keeping the voice relatively down to keep it in tune, nice and shape' it is the STRIPPED version of "Wild Horses" - he almost whispers the lines to make it sound 'sweet'. There is nothing of that in his 1969 to 1978 versions of the song.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-16 13:45 by Doxa.

Posted by: wild_horse_pete ()
Date: May 16, 2008 14:56

Wow Doxa, you always keep complaining about Jagger`s voice on every thread.
Little advise to you, close something and go on with your live, don`t hang on the same subject by every thread.

Date: May 16, 2008 15:21

Here's "Just My Imagination", live in 1978:

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: May 16, 2008 15:38

Imagination performed in Hampton were 9 1/2 of the Stones finest minutes. Everybody playing nails it personally and as a group - the punctuating sax, rolling bass line, Charlie's combination of (what I call) change-ups and steadfastness, the guitars weaving and never playing the same thing twice - it's just incredible.

Some visual proof - watch KR jerk his body after the first few notes, watch Mick's eyes roll as he is enveloped in what is happening at about 5:40, Mick again yelling to Ronnie to go further which he does, Keith's picking and bending solo toward the end, and Ronnie and Keith together at the end knowing full well that they just did something very special.

I remember having this version on casette back in the early 80s and playing it in my during my 10 minute drive to work - I would hear it and be ready to take on the world!

Posted by: David Neal ()
Date: May 16, 2008 16:05

one of the best songs on the 81 tour IMO....loved it...

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: May 16, 2008 16:26

Very nice Memo, thanks for posting. Pretty good band, eh?

Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: May 16, 2008 17:17

This is such great stuff.. especially the mix.. LISTEN TO BILL!! Right up there and he's on @#$%& fire! And the others too.. their highlight in my opnion.

But again.. come back Bill..

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 16, 2008 17:21

One of the greats from that tour. It's as good as the incredible SAL version.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: May 16, 2008 17:26

JumpingKentFlash

As good...? This one beats it by a mile in all aspects really. How can it be AS good. The bass is incredible compared to the static work from Daryl. Ronnie's solo is bad-ass.. Ernie Watts there with the amazing saxophone sound. Mick singing really clear. The SAL version is cool and all but this is pure magic..

Posted by: Joern III ()
Date: May 16, 2008 18:23

yeah right !

i like the song but not only this...

i don´t know why but i love the tour from ´81.
i remember there was a video who can buy it but i don´t
found it. i wish so much that the stones bring it on dvd.

see this...

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 16, 2008 19:17

King Snake
JumpingKentFlash

As good...? This one beats it by a mile in all aspects really. How can it be AS good. The bass is incredible compared to the static work from Daryl. Ronnie's solo is bad-ass.. Ernie Watts there with the amazing saxophone sound. Mick singing really clear. The SAL version is cool and all but this is pure magic..

Disagree. I think they're about equal. The version I prefer varies from day to day. Both of them are pure magic to me.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: fishstix ()
Date: May 16, 2008 21:19

I agree about that 81 tour....its ALL magic.

That tour had it all. They were icons at the time but yet the tour still had... all the danger, unpredictability, edge, color, spectacle, great album to tour behind, and, yes, musicianship......

I was just a soph in high school at the time and a huge fan. The tour didnt stop here in Pittsburgh but that didnt stop the friends and I from conspiring to steal away and travel to see them. Unfortunately, we lacked the hutzvah, not to mention the funds, to actually pick up and go....

But, I marvel at the vids and pics from that tour.....just magical....

Date: May 16, 2008 22:01

Joern III
yeah right !

i like the song but not only this...

i don´t know why but i love the tour from ´81.
i remember there was a video who can buy it but i don´t
found it. i wish so much that the stones bring it on dvd.

see this...

"Let´s Spend The Night Together" aka "Rocks Off".

Nur der HSV, übrigens! grinning smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 16, 2008 22:40

JMI from Hampton together with Midnight Rambler from Brussels 1973 are the best 20 minutes of Stones music ever performed live.

No doubt about that.

Mathijs

Date: May 17, 2008 00:20

wild_horse_pete
Wow Doxa, you always keep complaining about Jagger`s voice on every thread.
Little advise to you, close something and go on with your live, don`t hang on the same subject by every thread.

Yeah, I complain about the thing because it is obvious when I happen to hear things like this "My Imagination" from 1981, and the urgent stuff is so much hyped at the moment. You can not help making some comparisons.

But do you have some statistics to prove yuur claim that I complain about Jagger's voice on every thread? Namely, I don't recall the situation has been quite as total as that. I guess you are one of those people who does not like critical voices.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-17 00:22 by Doxa.

Posted by: Joern III ()
Date: May 17, 2008 00:37

"Let´s Spend The Night Together" aka "Rocks Off". --> als dvd ?
muss ich mal schauen. ist aber nicht das ganze konzert oder ?

sach ma´ wie kommst denn auf den hsv ? hast mich erkannt ? grinning smiley

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: May 17, 2008 00:48

TooTough
It´s a great version...as there are no bad versions of that song.

I fully agree . I could listen to this repeatedly .

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 17, 2008 12:10

>> "Let´s Spend The Night Together" aka "Rocks Off" <<

er ... whatever the rest of the conversation is about, those are two slightly different films,
not two titles for the same thing. Rocks Off was the version for Europe, and it's harder to find now.
Let's Spend the Night Together is the US version, and it's very easy to find on dvd, for example on ebay.

Date: May 17, 2008 13:12

Let's Spend the Night Together was officially released a while ago.

Posted by: wild_horse_pete ()
Date: May 17, 2008 14:36

But do you have some statistics to prove yuur claim that I complain about Jagger's voice on every thread? Namely, I don't recall the situation has been quite as total as that. I guess you are one of those people who does not like critical voices.

- Doxa

Dear Doxa,

No i don`t have statistics, but for a couple of weeks now i see you every time by almost every thread complaining about his singing. I don`t agree or disagree with you, it`s just that i only give you the advice to let it loose. And you can give critics, i don`t mind, but do it once, not every time over the same subject. Greets

Date: May 18, 2008 19:18

Joern III
"Let´s Spend The Night Together" aka "Rocks Off". --> als dvd ?
muss ich mal schauen. ist aber nicht das ganze konzert oder ?

sach ma´ wie kommst denn auf den hsv ? hast mich erkannt ? grinning smiley

Gibt´s auf VHs original oder als DVD Bootleg.

Ist Sund Devil Stadium und Brendan Byrne Arena.

7:0!

Viele Grüße,
DerBrustlöser grinning smiley

Date: May 19, 2008 00:06

wild_horse_pete

- Doxa

Dear Doxa,

No i don`t have statistics, but for a couple of weeks now i see you every time by almost every thread complaining about his singing. I don`t agree or disagree with you, it`s just that i only give you the advice to let it loose. And you can give critics, i don`t mind, but do it once, not every time over the same subject. Greets

Dear you, if you have something to say about my claims - which I always try to make in a new way, trying to add some new points, etc. are they critical or praisal ones - I am more than interested to hear those. But if all you have to say is to whine about the general critical tone of mine, not my spesific assertions, I can cope quite alright without your 'advices', thank you.

And why I keep talking about Jagger's voice so much these days? Well, you know, the band released an live album not many weeks ago, and for some reason, for a long time Rolling Stones and Mick Jagger fan as me, it happens to stimulate me quite a lot. It's a current thing to reflect the thing now. So sad if you don't like it.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-19 00:08 by Doxa.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: May 19, 2008 01:39

pmk251
I really dislike the band's performance of that song. For me it is a low point. A complete guitar bore.

i'm with you. also in SAL it was sooooo boring. lowpoint of the movie.
stupid song!

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: May 19, 2008 02:35

fishstix
I agree about that 81 tour....its ALL magic.

That tour had it all. They were icons at the time but yet the tour still had... all the danger, unpredictability, edge, color, spectacle, great album to tour behind, and, yes, musicianship......

I was just a soph in high school at the time and a huge fan. The tour didnt stop here in Pittsburgh but that didnt stop the friends and I from conspiring to steal away and travel to see them. Unfortunately, we lacked the hutzvah, not to mention the funds, to actually pick up and go....

But, I marvel at the vids and pics from that tour.....just magical....

I feel for you, man. I was just 24 at the time, but was employed, and I ponied up the $16 to see them in Lexington KY. It's a 3-hour drive from our hometown in WV. Many years later I acquired a great bootleg of that show. It's always cool to revisit a show you actually attended.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1465
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home