Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Fanfare for the common man (Aaron Copeland) VS Take the A train (Bill Strayhorn)
Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: May 13, 2008 17:15

What's your fav intro ?

I think the A train was fun, cool and a relaxed introduction while Common man was magnificent, impressive (I always imagine it in a great western movie too; maybe was it used already for that ?)
did Emerson Lake Palmer get this Common man version idea thanks to the Stones ?

Re: Fanfare for the common man (Aaron Copeland) VS Take the A train (Bill Strayhorn)
Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 13, 2008 17:29

Fav into has got to be take a train but please, no more ELP!

Re: Fanfare for the common man (Aaron Copeland) VS Take the A train (Bill Strayhorn)
Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 13, 2008 17:31

Love both, but prefer Take The A Train.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: May 13, 2008 17:49

Nice topic!

From the way it finally worked out, I clearly prefer Take The A Train. Combined with Billy Graham's introduction and the first notes of Under My Thumb it sounds like a whole new composition. Just perfect! But concerning the "intro" qualities as such I'd rather choose Fanfare For The Common Man: Where "A Train" is merely intro music (like many fine tracks, sent through the PA before showtime), "Fanfare" is a true intro, as majestic as the whole concept for the '75 Tour Of The Americas. A fitting "Hail to the Cesars!" (like it or not).

Date: May 13, 2008 17:54

A fitting "Hail to the Cesars!" (like it or not).[/quote]

Yes I agree. Majesties on stage

Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: May 13, 2008 18:10

I think Fanfare for the Common Man could have been good, but the song played after it, Honky Tonk Women, is boring as an opener. Pretty much an anti-climax. A-Train fitted with Under My Thumb perfect for some reason. And with the concept of the tour.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 13, 2008 18:27

fanfare for the common man by Aaron Copeland with horns dressed in full roman regalia .

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 13, 2008 18:32

A Train every time.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 13, 2008 18:48

A Train.

And the tune - sorry, I forgot the name of it already - of the tune for their walk across the Bridge!

Date: May 13, 2008 18:49

King Snake
I think Fanfare for the Common Man could have been good, but the song played after it, Honky Tonk Women, is boring as an opener. Pretty much an anti-climax. A-Train fitted with Under My Thumb perfect for some reason. And with the concept of the tour.

good point

yes Take the A train and UMT rolls a lot and fit with each other.

HTW seems... common after COMMON. Maybe JJF would have been a better choice ?

Date: May 13, 2008 18:51

skipstone

And the tune - sorry, I forgot the name of it already - of the tune for their walk across the Bridge!

a french guy, try again

Date: May 13, 2008 18:58

St Germain

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: May 13, 2008 19:08

they walked across the bridge to cannonball adderley's "sticks" right?

OLDKR

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: May 13, 2008 19:56

two great "intro" tunes but A-Train, well SWINGS more. i think ELP recorded fanfare before the stones used it, but not sure.

I tried to persuade Shane once to use "MARCH OF THE KING OF LAOIS" The Chieftains as an intro or the early Sean O'Riada version, which was the birth of the Chieftains in any case.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 13, 2008 20:02

Just a couple (one with a Stones connection) that I think would be great as the lights go down:

Outta-Space by Billy Preston
Machne Gun by the Commodores (not the Hendrix song)

Great for building excitement. Back to the question, I never got to see FFTCM, but TTAT was great in 1981. On the records, I kinda like FFTCM better.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: May 13, 2008 21:27

When I was at the San Francisco shows in '75, and they introed with Common Man and transitioned into HTW, it was a near riot. The roar from the crowd was deafening.

Same thing if you listen to the boots from shows like Buffalo, LA, etc. on that same tour.

Common Man to HTW may not seem good in theory, in fact, it was wildly successful at the shows I attended and heard recordings of.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 13, 2008 21:40

Cannonball Adderley's "Sticks" - THAT'S IT! I love that tune!

Reminds me of Carnival parades in New Orleans on Mardi Gras - a perfect horn blasting rhythm to cross the Bridge with!

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: May 13, 2008 21:49

HTW was perfect to open after Fanfare ... one down-and-dirty nasty sounding chord and the tone for the evening was set!

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 13, 2008 21:54

Dylan has been using Copland intro music for the past several years (I *think* it's "Rodeo").

Posted by: phd ()
Date: May 13, 2008 22:24

Aaron Copland is one of the greatest American composer. Just listen to his " Appalachian Spring" directed by Leonard Bernstein. Simply outstanding. Deep in the American Heart. God Bless America, just for this piece of Music.

Date: May 13, 2008 22:49

scaffer
When I was at the San Francisco shows in '75, and they introed with Common Man and transitioned into HTW, it was a near riot. The roar from the crowd was deafening.

Same thing if you listen to the boots from shows like Buffalo, LA, etc. on that same tour.

Common Man to HTW may not seem good in theory, in fact, it was wildly successful at the shows I attended and heard recordings of.

nice to have your feeling since you attended the shows.
The other day I was listening to "sympathy for slowhand" which is NY 75. It does sound excellent and after the intro it screams a lot indeed. You can feel the excitment. I have to watch again LA july 11.

Had the San Francisco shows been taped ?

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: May 14, 2008 01:41

Saw both '75 and '81. Fanfare was a spectacle. TTAT was boring as shite. You know they're coming on. They cut the houselights midway through Fanfare - it was mezmerizing. I can still hear the drums and their deafening roar on the roof of the Seattle Coliseum.

Date: May 14, 2008 02:37

When I was sitting in the audience at Toronto's Maple Leaf Gardens in June 1975, waiting for my first ever glimpse of the Stones live, the sudden breakout of Fanfare sent chills up my spine. When I hear it on 'Love You Live', it brings back all the intense memories of that long ago day.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 14, 2008 02:54

gotta go with fanfare, love the dramatic build up

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: May 14, 2008 02:55

i thought i was gonna see God !

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: May 14, 2008 03:09

toomuchforme:

I've read that both SF '75 shows were recorded. I saw both. I also recall that, on both nights, Mick's mobile microphone didn't work for the first couple of words of HTW.

Martingo and HEILOOBAAS, you said it better than me! Incredible experience.

At SF, when the first chords to HTW were hit by Keith, the blue spotlight showed Mick's legs! He was lying on his back at the top of the stage, one leg crossed over the other. As he stood up and came strolling down the walkway, the people went absolutely wilder (they were ALREADY going wild hearing Keith's guitar).

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 14, 2008 03:25

I prefer Fanfare. Just seems more epic. Like your about to see God or something. Never was crazy about A train. Just seems too jazzy to get ya pumped up for a Rock & Roll show.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: May 14, 2008 14:51

there has NEVER been a more dramatic opening to a Stones concert than in '75 with the lotus stage. as fanfare blared and the "petals" of the stage were unfolding, it brought a chill to my spine and a lump in my throat.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: May 14, 2008 15:02

I prefer the 2000 Light Years into Brown Sugar on the 1972 US tour. Now that was a KILLER!

JR

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: May 14, 2008 15:50

2000 years as an intro for US 1972??? I didn't know that....

And what about other intro's? (US 69, Europe 70, 73?)

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1287
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home