Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Is The Price Of Gasoline Having An Effect On Your Concert Going?
Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: May 10, 2008 03:24

I'll have someone else drive . That way way I can drinl more beer !

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: May 10, 2008 03:29

tatters
HelterSkelter

To answer your question, I don't go to concerts any more so no effect here.

I'm sure you've discussed this before, but why? Are all the people you like dead?

tatters, all I can tell you is I went to concerts during the "Golden Age" of concerts (1969 - 1999) when it wasn't such big business, bigger hassle, and security wasn't all up and down your body openings. Rather than tell you who I saw, I'll tell who I missed and you can assume I've seen the rest. MISSED THESE BANDS/SINGERS - THE DOORS/ANIMALS/CCR/BEATLES/CREAM/JIMI/JANIS/STEPPENWOLF/ - Basically saw everybody else at Woodstock and Altamont. From 1970 on it was nothing but CONSTANT ZEPPELIN/THE WHO/FACES/STONES/DYLAN/HARRISON/YOUNG/JEFFERSON AIRPLANE/GRATEFUL DEAD/PAUL SIMON/AEROSMITH.... the list just goes on and on including just about everyone... 100's and 100's and 100's for 30 years of intense fun and visits. Thank God I wore Ear Plugs 99% of the time......Thank God Gas was 50 cents a GALLON !!!

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 10, 2008 03:40

HelterSkelter

Won't even go see the Stones if they come to your town?

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: May 10, 2008 05:07

to compare 'crude or refine'd' oil prices to any other commodity is,, well, never mind. ..
... for good reason, public transportation is not desireable over here in the arctic

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: May 10, 2008 05:52

Cheaper than Coca Cola. Struth, I dont drink a barrel of Coca Cola each week, as a matter of fact Coca Cola is foul stuff. Maybe I can tune my car to run on it instead. Wait a minute, that would just benefit another greedy multi national.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: May 10, 2008 09:44

Edith Grove
HelterSkelter

Won't even go see the Stones if they come to your town?

Yeah, if it's done like 1999's NO SECURITY TOUR, 10,000 to 12,000 seat indoor ARENA, 4 tickets/2 nights bought over the phone at $60 a pop with no hassles - close, decent side of stage seats with a set list that includes MOONLIGHT MILE/SOME GIRLS/ROUTE 66/SHINE A LIGHT/PAINT IT BLACK on and on..... man, it was just NO HASSLES.... Everything's too PLANNED these days, I love spontaneous, that's what made JIMBO/THE DOORS great, what made/makes IGGY great, these LAS VEGAS shows like MADONNA or 3 yrs of CHER (actually LIVE in Vegas for the next 3 years) are horrible IMHO - nothing but human juke boxes, VEGAS STAGE SHOWS and R'n'R just don't mix... With that said, I'd go see the WHITE STRIPES today if it was easy enough..... is MEG back to normal???

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 10, 2008 11:25

HelterSkelter
I'd go see the WHITE STRIPES today if it was easy enough..... is MEG back to normal???

I don't know, but the Raconteurs were pretty good last Sunday.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 10, 2008 16:23

Mathijs
Even at $125 a barrel, crude oil is still cheaper than Coca Cola.

Mathijs

Yes, but I don't HAVE to spend $80 a week on Coca Cola just to get to work and back.

Date: May 10, 2008 16:30

HelterSkelter
tatters
HelterSkelter

I'm sure you've discussed this before, but why? Are all the people you like dead?

tatters, all I can tell you is I went to concerts during the "Golden Age" of concerts (1969 - 1999) when it wasn't such big business, bigger hassle, and security wasn't all up and down your body openings. Rather than tell you who I saw, I'll tell who I missed and you can assume I've seen the rest. MISSED THESE BANDS/SINGERS - THE DOORS/ANIMALS/CCR/BEATLES/CREAM/JIMI/JANIS/STEPPENWOLF/ - Basically saw everybody else at Woodstock and Altamont. From 1970 on it was nothing but CONSTANT ZEPPELIN/THE WHO/FACES/STONES/DYLAN/HARRISON/YOUNG/JEFFERSON AIRPLANE/GRATEFUL DEAD/PAUL SIMON/AEROSMITH.... the list just goes on and on including just about everyone... 100's and 100's and 100's for 30 years of intense fun and visits. Thank God I wore Ear Plugs 99% of the time......Thank God Gas was 50 cents a GALLON !!!

You obviously LOVE going to concerts, which is what makes your retirement from this activity all the more puzzling. I don't go to as many as I used to, but I still go to a lot, and as long as SOMEONE I'm a fan of is still out there touring, I'll still need my occasional live music fix.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 10, 2008 16:38

tatters
Mathijs

Mathijs

Yes, but I don't HAVE to spend $80 a week on Coca Cola just to get to work and back.

excellent point dude, thats what everyone seems to be missing

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: May 10, 2008 18:33

It's nothing to worry about! High gas and diesel prices are good for the environment. Just try to use your carr less and get on a bus or a train more often.
What we really should worry about is the high prices on food globally now, especially in the poorer countries. This is a huge problem and will lead to instability. In the same way as shortage of clean drinking water is also a destabilisation factor.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 10, 2008 19:04

tatters
Mathijs

Mathijs

The comparison I gave is true. We have taken it for granted we can go to work in our own car for just a couple of bucks a week -and that will change from now own. It means we have to change our way of thinking: it is not normal anymore to drive a big 4 by 4 with a six liter engine on your own to work that's 100 miles from where you live. We'll have to drive cars with smaller engines, with more people in it, live closer to work, and take the public transport instead of a car. From a governmental point of view we have to invest in different ways to get power: nuclear plants and renewable energy like wind turbines etc.

When something comes cheap we take it for granted. Cheap food has made us all fat, cheap fuel spoiled us all into believing we all are entitled to drive a Hummer.

Mathijs

Date: May 10, 2008 20:16

Addicted
It's nothing to worry about! High gas and diesel prices are good for the environment. Just try to use your carr less and get on a bus or a train more often.

Buses and trains don't go everywhere, and we can't all get jobs within walking distance of our houses. If cigarettes go to $20 a pack, people will still buy them because they HAVE to buy them. They are "Addicted", yes? Well, regardless of how high the price of gas goes, I will still HAVE to buy the same amount of fuel that I HAVE to buy now.

Date: May 10, 2008 20:22

Mathijs
Cheap food has made us all fat.

Mathijs

People got fat on cheap food because cheap food was what they could afford. Nobody really WANTS to eat at McDonald's every day .... do they?

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: May 10, 2008 21:13

tatters
Addicted

Buses and trains don't go everywhere, and we can't all get jobs within walking distance of our houses. If cigarettes go to $20 a pack, people will still buy them because they HAVE to buy them. They are "Addicted", yes? Well, regardless of how high the price of gas goes, I will still HAVE to buy the same amount of fuel that I HAVE to buy now.

Getting a small car that uses less gas, a hybrid or a car that goes on electricity would help. Moving closer to work helps. Driving a motorbike or even a bicycle is a lot more environmentally friendly than a car.
Where I live, 20 cigarettes cost $ 16.00. Smoking has been reduced by 35 % in five years. Only 22 % of the population are smokers now... High prices actually change people's habits.

Eating more fruit, vegetables and cooking a proper dinner at home is also cheaper than eating out, like at McDonalds, or McBlock-my-veins!

Date: May 11, 2008 11:51

tatters
Addicted

So you can clearly see where the US Government has to invest: public transportation. And you will have to buy a smaller car, relocate closer to work, or change jobs closer to home. There's no other way around it in the near future.

Mathijs

Date: May 11, 2008 11:59

tatters
Mathijs
Cheap food has made us all fat.

Mathijs

People get fat on cheap food because cheap food was what they could afford. Nobody really WANTS to eat at McDonald's every day .... do they?

No, there's a strong relation between the price and availability of food, the quality of the food, and the obesitas of a population. Cheap food is mostly of bad quality, and as it is availablbe in abundance people eat to much of it. The ease of buying an extra large pizza with double cheese and pepperoni for $4 compared to preparing healthy vegetables yourself means more people eat the pizza. Also, due to the low pricing of food the portions get bigger and bigger. I read an article the other day which stated that our dinner portions are something like 75% larger than 25 years ago. A steak on a BBQ is two pounds these days, while we actually only need half a pound.

Mathijs

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: May 11, 2008 12:51

sure not

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-11 12:51 by steffiestones.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 11, 2008 21:03

To get a hybrid it costs a lot of money. I'm not going to do that. I drive a pickup truck. I haul a lot of things around in it. So I just giggle. I need it. I don't really complain about the cost of fuel. It could be much worse.

No matter what, I think the cost will continue to escalate as more and more people start driving. The demand just continues to increase.

So until I can't afford it anymore, I just laugh.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 11, 2008 23:09

Well considering I drove to LA last week to see UFO and Lake Tahoe this week to see Derringer,I guess not.LOL. Actually,the concerts were just a coincidence to other palns that were already made in both cases.....But what I really want to know is why does San Francisco have the higghest gas prices in the country? Over $4 a gallon out here. Do we have a giant kick me sign on our backs?

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: May 12, 2008 00:09

sweetcharmedlife
But what I really want to know is why does San Francisco have the higghest gas prices in the country? Over $4 a gallon out here. Do we have a giant kick me sign on our backs?

San Fran has very strict regulations on sulfur (9 ppm max) and aromatics (<15 vol%), making it more expensive to produce than fuel in other states, with less strict regulations.

Mathijs

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: May 12, 2008 01:24

The hybrids that are available now are all just a marketing plot. Believe me, I know...

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 12, 2008 01:42

I will drive 6,000 km this summer to see my Hungarian favorites.
What can a poor boy do.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 12, 2008 01:50

I ain't complainin' ... $125 a barrel an' risin' !! I work in oil exploration, I'm busy as shit and my wages are goin' up all the time ! Affecting my concert going ? Nah, not in the slightest, I take the bus or the train ! I live in London maaaan, who the f*** in their right mind drives ? There's nowhere to bloody well park when you get there anyway !! Too many people, too many cars ... too much of everything in fact.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 12, 2008 02:03

Bio diesel anyone?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1378
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home